Puppy vs Adult Food

Puppy vs Adult Food

Postby chelynnah » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:54 pm

I am curious when you guys who feed kibble changed from puppy to adult.

I have gone to adult when my dogs were a year old in that past...just curious what the feeling is about Whippets.

Thanks,
Lisa

I give to my whippets and grey food for active dogs, Bartek eats Junior food, but when is time to eat, adult dogs eats Bartek's food and he eats their.
Everything is o.k.
Ewa.

I know what you mean Ewa. I have to separate mine when I feed them. Each one thinks the other guy has something better in his/her bowl!

Lisa

Your right Lisa, but I don't separate my dogs.
Junior and adult food has a similar composition.
Ewa.

My first whippet the breeder told me to feed puppy food until about a year old. My second whippet the breeder told me to feed adult food from the start. So I really don't know the answer to your question. Some people say puppy food is better because it has more fat in it. I know that the food that I give them now is excellent though. It is called Diamond and it is great for active dogs. You can only find it at horse feed stores.

Heather

Hey Lisa-

You are going to think I am crazy, but I feed all of my whippets puppy food. I have always had a hard time keeping weight on Genie with 'adult' food, so I switched everyone to puppy food with the last litter. Genie looks better than she ever has before. The puppy food is similar to 'performance' food for adults....at least it is packed with calories.

My vet says to switch to adult food when the whippet is between 10-12 months old. Make sure you gradually switch the food too!

Annie

Often taking the road less traveled...
http://www.wildaboutwhippets.com

So, Heather,

Do you have dogs or horses? Is Kai, the whippet of the week, really a horse.

Oh, and where is that feed store?

deedee (a.k.a. the "alien")

For Chelsea it was a year, and that's what I prefer. For Savannah because she was already into eating Chelsea's I eventually changed over about 8 or 9 months. They would share food and I was more concerned about the damage (FAT) the puppy food would do to Chels than the other way round.

Ideally a year if you can, but if not then as long as you can was my vet's advice.

Wendy

Puppy food is better partly because of the fat but actually because of the calcium. Puppies need lots of extra calcium while their bones and joints are forming. I saw pictures of dogs that were calcium deprived as puppies and they were horrible. Will always feed puppy food (or calcium enriched food) to puppies from now on. In the same respect though too much calcium can be dangerous to an adult dog. That's why I gave in around 8 months and put Savvy onto adult - so Chelsea wouldn't eat puppy food.

Wendy

Dee Dee,
The feed store is on Davie Road and Griffin.

Heather

Another bump... my post from the other day....everyone seems to have a different opinion on this:

I am curious when you guys who feed kibble changed from puppy to adult.

I have gone to adult when my dogs were a year old in that past...just curious what the feeling is about Whippets.

Thanks,
Lisa

Well, Lisa, I am a bit of a rebel. I start and finish my dogs on adult food. Linus (currently 11 weeks) is the FIRST puppy I have ever had on puppy food. He likes it better and needs to eat more. He is a puppy back from a bitch I placed. I have no idea how he has been raised and have had to pretty much adjust to his whims and puppy food is one of them. But for the most part, Kees and whippets alike are raised on adult food and do quite well.

Heather Myers
GOD BLESS AMERICA
CARA KEESHONDEN & WHIPPETS
"establishing a tradition of excellence since 1981'
Virginia USA
carakees@cvalink.com
http://www.cvalink.com/carakees
chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Return to Diet