Dog Show Rules Around the World

Dog Show Rules Around the World

Postby chelynnah » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:40 am

From: chelsea76 (Original Message) Sent: 24/06/2003 11:20
Can someone explain some of the differences to me as the US and UK systems are a bit different.

Over here we have a few different types of shows. We have Companion Dog Shows (used to be called Exemption Shows) where there are some pedigree classes, and some novelty classes. Dogs don't have to be registered to enter, but a lot of breeders bring out their dogs there for their first 'show' experiences, so the pedigree competition can still be pretty fierce. It doesn't count toward anything, but it's good fun and good experience.

Then we have Open Shows. These are shows run by clubs all under the Kennel Club rules (as are Companion shows). They have breed classes, some are judged on the group system and some aren't. None of these count toward points, but do count toward 'prestige'. You can earn what is called a Junior Warrant for puppies through points systems and points from Open Shows count towards this. I don't understand how that works though.

There are also 'Limited Shows' which are like Open Shows, but are Limited to members of the society putting on the show.

Then finally there are Championship shows. These are the shows were CC's are on offer - and it's CC's that make a Champion. Three CC's under Three different judges are what is required for a Champion.

All shows are run similarly in that each breed represented have several classes you can choose from to enter. Some are based on age, and some are based on the number of wins your dog has had previously. (ie minor puppy are puppies from 6-9 months of age, puppy is 6-12 and Junior is 6-18 months - a minor puppy can enter a junior class, but not the other way round. Then a 'novice' class is for dogs who haven't won 3 or more 1st prizes in any class at Open or Champ shows, Graduate is 4 or more firsts at Ch. Shows etc all the way up to Open which ANY dog can enter - but this is where the dogs who've won the most go - and the Champions - we don't have special classes for them they compete out there with all the other dogs).

Okay, so at an Open show there might be anywhere from 1-4 classes per breed, at a Champ show there are generally anywhere from 4-10 depending on Breed. At an Open Show dogs and Bitches compete together and then the 1st place dog or bitch from each class compete against each other for Best of Breed.

At a Champ show the classes for dogs and Bitches are separate. So all the dogs who've one 1sts that day compete against each other for Best Dog - which is the Dog CC which counts toward your championship. And all the Bitches who placed first in their classes compete against each other for the Bitch CC. Then the two CC winners go up against each other for Best of Breed.

I hope that explains it well enough for those who were curious. Now here's my question about the US system:

I'm assuming Winners Bitch would be our Bitch CC, and I also figure BOB is the same, and then instead of Reserve BOB you have BOS (best opposite Sex?) which some people do call our RBOB. So what is Best of Winners?

I 'think' I also understand a bit more about points - the more dogs you beat the more points it's worth? And when is it a major? And if I'm understanding correctly - you have to have a total number of points and a certain percentage of them need to be majors??

Am I on the right track or completely lost??

Wendy

Here is a reply Sally posted on another thread that I didn't see when I started this thread.

I'd love to hear how Australian or European rules work as well!!

Wendy

Ours is pretty basic, we don't do points - we do CC's and Reserve CC's- the best dog and bitch each get a CC awareded and then go up against each other for BOB and Reserve BOB. Three CC's awarded under 3 different judges makes you a champion.
In the US, a dog must get 15 points to be a champion, with at least 6 of those points coming from "majors" under two different judges. The number of points given at any particular show depends on the number of exhibits, and differs by breed, gender, and location. The AKC sets the point schedule each year based on entries the previous year in each area of the country. Getting Winner's Bitch (or Dog) can be worth 1 - 5 pnts, with 3 - 5 pnts being a "major".
I'm assuming Winners Bitch would be our Bitch CC, and I also figure BOB is the same, and then instead of Reserve BOB you have BOS (best opposite Sex?). So what is Best of Winners?
"Winner's" is like a CC, one given for the best bitch & best dog of each breed that are in the non-champion classes. The big difference here is that only non-champions compete for the WB & WD points. Champions only compete in Best of Breed, to try to go on to groups. Best of Winners' is awarded to the best between the WB & WD. This can be important if the points are higher in one gender than the other. Say, for example, there is a 3pnt major in bitches, but only 1pnt in dogs. If the WD is awarded Best of Winners, he will also get a 3pnt major. Reserves go to the second best bitch and dog from the non-champion classes. Best of Opposite Sex is given in the Best of Breed competition, which includes the WB, WD, and any champions entered. For example, if the judge chooses a bitch for Best of Breed, he will then choose his favorite among the dogs in the ring as the Best of Opposite Sex.
I 'think' I also understand a bit more about points - the more dogs you beat the more points it's worth? And when is it a major? And if I'm understanding correctly - you have to have a total number of points and a certain percentage of them need to be majors??
I guess I already answered this part. I just want to add that the Best of Breed goes on to the group ring (hound group, for whippets). It gets complicated from that point, but I do know that if a dog (or bitch) that is not yet a champion wins the group, they will get the highest points available for any breed in the group. For example, if the BOB whippet only got two points, but there was a 4 pnt. major in bloodhounds, and the whippet got Group 1 (winning the group), the whippet would then get 4 pnts. because of the major in bloodhounds. There is also a seperate system of points for national ranking among champions, but I don't have a clue how that works. I'll find out if I ever want to "Special" a dog. Right now, I have enough to think about just trying to get their championships!
Am I on the right track or completely lost??
You're doing pretty good! If I'm wrong or too unclear about any of this, some of you old - I mean YOUNG timers are free to chime in and fix this up!

Sally

Thanks for going to so much trouble to post all this information Wendy and Sally, it makes interesting reading. And i'm sure very useful for new ppl to showing or ppl considering showing......good to see the differences from different parts of the world too......
shaz

Here's a link to Canadian Rules explained really well - it sounds very similar to the US rules.

Wendy

http://www.dogstuff.info/understanding_canadian_shows.html

Here's a good one on the same site for UK - it's describing it in relation to Great Danes, but shows etc are the same.

Wendy

http://www.dogstuff.info/uk_showing.html

Rules for Showing in Poland

CLASSES:
Puppy - 6 to 9 months
Junior (Youth) - 9 to 18 months
Intermediate - 15 to 24 months
Open - over 15 months
Utility - over 15 months (only for dogs possessing revelant diplomas)
Champion - only for dogs holding any FCI recognised champion titles
Veteran - over 8 years

ORDER OF JUDGING:
Males
Females
Puppy
Junior
Intermediate
Open
Utility
Champion
Veteran

RIBBONS:
Blue - graded "excellent"
Red - graded "very good"
Green - graded "good"
None - disqualified
None - cannot be graded

RIBBONS IN PUPPY CLASS:
Yellow - very promising
white - promising
None - little promise

PRIZES:
1. Medals are awarded to the dogs, graded "excellent" and placed from 1st to 3rd.

1st - gold medal
2nd - silver medal
3rd - bronze medal

2. Diplomas are presented to all dogs graded at least "good"

3. Only 4 dogs in each class are placed from 1st to 4th, provided they were graded at least "very good".
All the remaining exhibits in the class are graded only.

TITTLES:

CACIB - certificate to the International Show Champion (FCI) may be awarded to one male and one female in each breed.
Intermediate, Open, Utility and Champions Class winners complete for this certificate.
CWC - certificate to the Polish Show Champion may be awarded to winners in each of the following classes: Intermediate, Open, Utility,
Champions. Number of exhibits in the class does not count, but the dog must be graded "excellent".
JUNIOR WINNER - may be awarded to the winner of Junior Class, provided it is graded "excellent.
BEST MALE/BEST FEMALE IN BREED - competition same as for CACIB, but this tittle must be awarded, whereas CACIB is at
judge's discretion.
BEST OF BREED - best junior male/female are eligible to compete for this tittle.
BEST OF GROUP - all exhibits awarded Best of Breed are eligible to compete for this tittle.
BEST IN SHOW - all exhibits awarded Best of Group are eligible to compete for this tittle.

Ewa.

This is interesting information. Putting all the rules posts on one thread is a great idea Wendy. When the thread ends, we can copy all the posts to a permanent page on the site so we don't loose all this great information!

Someone emailed me to ask what some of the UK classes were

Class Definitions
(not all of these classes are available at every show - each society chooses which ones to put on)

MINOR PUPPY (MP): For dogs of six and not exceeding nine calendar months of age on the first day of the Show.

PUPPY (P): For dogs of six and not exceeding twelve calendar months of age on the first day of the show.

JUNIOR (J): For dogs of six and not exceeding eighteen calendar months of age on the first day of the Show.

SPECIAL YEARLING (SpY): For dogs of six and not exceeding twenty four calendar months of age on the first day of the Show

YEARLING (Y): For dogs of twelve and not exceeding twenty four calendar months of age on the first day of the Show.

MAIDEN (M): For dogs which have not won a Challenge Certificate or a First Prize at an Open or Championship Show (Minor Puppy, Special Minor Puppy, Puppy and Special Puppy classes excepted, whether restricted or not).

NOVICE (N): For dogs which have not won a Challenge Certificate or three or more First Prizes at Open and Championship Shows (Minor Puppy, Special Minor Puppy, Puppy and Special Puppy classes excepted, whether restricted or not).

SPECIAL BEGINNERS (SpBeg): For dog, handler or owner not to have won a Challenge Certificate or Reserve Challenge Certificate

UNDERGRADUATE (UG): For dogs which have not won a Challenge Certificate or three or more First Prizes at Championship Shows (Minor Puppy, Special Minor Puppy, Puppy and Special Puppy classes excepted, whether restricted or not).

GRADUATE (G): For dogs which have not won a Challenge Certificate or four or more First Prizes at Championship Shows in Graduate, Postgraduate, Minor Limit, Mid Limit, Limit & Open Classes, whether restricted or not.

POSTGRADUATE (PG): For dogs which have not won a Challenge Certificate or five or more First Prizes at Championship Shows in Graduate, Postgraduate, Minor Limit, Mid Limit, Limit & Open Classes, whether restricted or not.

MID LIMIT (ML): For dogs which have not won 3 Challenge Certificates or 5 or more First Prizes in all at Championship Shows in Mid Limit, Limit and Open classes, confined to the breed, whether restricted or not, at Shows where Challenge Certificates were offered for the breed.

LIMIT (L): For dogs which have not won 3 Challenge Certificates under 3 different judges or 7 or more First Prizes at Championship Shows in Limit and Open Classes, whether restricted or not, at shows where Challenge Certificates were offered for the breed.

OPEN (O): For all dogs of the breed for which the class is provided and eligible for entry at the show.

VETERAN (V): For dogs of not less than 7 years of age on the first day of the Show

ANY VARIETY (AV): Open to any breed regardless of whether breed classes are scheduled or not. Often these are Stakes classes with prize money available.

ANY VARIETY NOT SEPARATELY CLASSIFIED (AVNSC): For breeds of dogs for which no individual breed classes are scheduled

Show Definitions

Companion Shows (formerly called Exemption Shows)

These are ‘fun’ shows which are put on to raise money for Charities. There are pedigree classes and novelty classes. Pedigree classes are often divided by ‘Group’ or by Sporting / Non-sporting. There are also fun classes e.g. best six legs, dog with the waggiest tail, fancy dress, best rescue etc. which can be entered by any dog – pedigree or not. The pedigree classes are often used as practice classes for other types of shows. Any dog having earned a CC or RCC may not compete at this type of shows.

Matches

Local dog clubs often hold monthly matches for their members. Often these are held on a knockout system where 2 dogs go against each other and the best goes through until the final two compete for Best in Match. Some clubs give points at these matches and gaining enough points can qualify you for the year-end finals, while for other clubs winning BIM gets you a place in the finals.

Limited Shows

This show is limited to members of the club/society holding the show. Any dog having gained a Challenge Certificate (CC), or any other award that counts towards Champion status, may not be entered.

Open Shows

This show is open for all to enter and may include dogs who have gained their Champion title. There are normally between 3-5 classes for each breed, with the classes being for either sex. There may also be variety classes which any breed may enter. These shows are mostly held on the Group system but many aren’t. Wins at this level of show do not count towards the title of Champion. A dog declared Best in Show; Reserve BIS or Best Puppy in Show will qualify for Crufts.

Premier Open Shows

Same as above except that the Society holding the show has had enough entries at previous shows for the KC to grant it permission to hold a ‘Premier’ show which means dogs/bitches winning Best of Breed for certain breeds will qualify for Crufts

Championship Shows

This is the most important show with seperate classes for each sex. Certain placings in some classes 'qualify' the dog to enter Crufts. Certain placings in the Limit and Open class qualify the dog for entry into the Kennel Club Stud Book which also means that the dog is automatically qualified for Crufts for life.

The Kennel Club offers Challenge Certificates (CC's) at Championship shows. These are the coveted awards and count towards a Championship. The Best Bitch & Best Dog each win one of these CC's if on offer at these shows (Whippets are offered Challenge Certificates at all Championship Shows except LKA). The reserve best bitch and reserve best dog win RCC’s. If a dog or bitch wins 3 CC’s under 3 different judges they become a Champion.
chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Return to Showing / Conformation