Hungry Whippet

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Hungry Whippet

Postby lb207 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:44 pm

My 10 month old Whippet lady has become constantly hungry. If I caved in she would be a whoppet!! She stands by the fridge barking and won't give in. I give her 400 grams of a good quality organic dog food with 60 percent of protein spread over a day. Around 9am I give her a quarter. Its hard to get her to lunch time when I give her another quarter. Try to get to 5pm for the rest. She weighs 12.5kg at the moment. Is there anything I can fill out her food with so she doesn't put weight on. Many Thanks.
lb207
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Hungry Whippet

Postby chelynnah » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi and welcome to the board. First I'd check that there's not a medical reason that she's so hungry. After that, I have one who was always hungry, and we added frozen green beans to hear meals. They filled her up but didn't put on any calories. Not canned as that contains sodium. Fresh or frozen. We gave them still frozen and she loved them crunchy. Others I know will give them thawed.

Hope this helps, and hope she's just a munchie girl, and there's not a medical reason for it.

Wendy
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby Popsicle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:44 am

Pops went through a similar thing and resorted to finding her own 'snacks' to fill the void... My vet gave me some fibre to add to her meal to help her stay fuller for longer. He did also suggest breakfast cereal that is high in fibre but contains no sugar and salt such as weetabix or shredded wheat. I should have saved the money on the fibre pellets and spent it on shredded wheat, she hated the pellets and loved the cereal! I just let the shredded wheat turn to mush with warm water, no milk at all and she loved this breakfast. You might also be pleased to know it didn't last long and she soon reverted back to Miss FussyPants.
Popsicle
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:45 am

Hello and welcome! We have also found that some are just more food-oriented than others, and would constantly try to convince you that they are starving, even if they have just been fed! As Wendy said, it is important to make sure there is no medical reason she is so hungry, but she could just be a "foodie", and that's a better problem than a picky eater :lol: Ours also love green beans, especially fresh raw ones (although they probably don't get much nutritional value from them that way). Carrots are also a huge favorite here.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby lb207 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Really glad I posted now and followed the advice.
I went to the vets today and her urine sample wasn't right. Having bloods done to find out what's going on. Its all been a bit of a shock really.
I'm so glad she was so vocal. She's not a barky dog but this week has been terrible. Straight after dinner she's at the fridge whining and barking. So I knew something was up.
I did give her the frozen beans today and all her food came out undigested. Back at the vets tomorrow for bloods. Many Thanks.
lb207
WW Member

Postby stf » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:50 pm

The first thing that came to my mind was worms. Did the vet ask for a stool sample?
stf
WW Member

Postby lb207 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi
Had a stressful week but we're back to normal. She got quite sick. Had some deranged results from the urine but turns out she's eaten something. We think its mountain ash berries on our street. Many thanks
lb207
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:51 am

Oh, wow, that's scary! It's been such a strange summer and odd weather patterns - have heard of a few getting sick from eating wild mushrooms too, a big concern here. Hope she's feeling better soon!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby Richard » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:45 am

Hi ive read this thread one of our three boy's was also looking to be feed often he was a very thin dov so our breeder advised us to put a slice of black pudding in with a couple of meals a week to help now he's stoped hunting food all the time and has filled out perfectly hes a fine example of the breed i live in Scotland and don't know if black pudding is available in the part of the world you are but good luck with the vets report on your hounds health
Richard
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board