New whippet pup but surely too small

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

New whippet pup but surely too small

Postby joshiewhippet » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi i bought a whippet pup today after doing research into the breed etc. He is 8 weeks old tomorrow but is very tiny. I have weighed him and he is 1.5 lbs and a tiny little thing. The breeder has confirmed he is healthy and just the runt. He has a very fat tummy and upset tummy and i am very worried. Please help me.
joshiewhippet
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: New whippet pup but surely too small

Postby Wendy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:27 pm

With any new dog a vet visit is in order in the first couple days, so if you don't have an appointment I'd make one asap. It's very common for young puppies to have worms and one of the signs is a fat distended belly. Another thing that can cause tummy upset is a sudden change in food - do you know what the breeder was feeding him?

I'm having a hard time believing that he weights 1.5lbs, are you sure your scale is right? Whippet puppies can be born at a full pound or just under that - that seems way to small for an 8 week old pup. Can you post some photos?
Wendy
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 20088

Postby kentruth » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:28 pm

I'm sorry but that certainly doesn't sound like a whippet, my puppies when they're born average weight is 12 ounces by the time they are 8 weeks of age depending on whether they are male or female and carry a lot of bone or are refined generally are 7 to 10 pounds in weight. I don't think you have a whippet, can you post pictures especially of your puppy's teeth?
kentruth
WW Manager

Postby Charliecheese » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:40 pm

That does sound a wee bit small, my pups have usually been around the 6 kg mark when I have taken thme home at around 10 weeks.

A picture would certainly be useful.
Charlie, Sugden & Ripley
Charliecheese
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 39186

Postby chelynnah » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:40 pm

Savannah was half the size of her littermates, and was still probably 6'ish lbs when I got her. My current litter at 8.5 weeks the smallest 2 are 8lbs and the largest is 11.6lbs

I honestly don't see how a whippet at 8 weeks could be 1.5lbs. Did you see the rest of the litter? I'd be worried that it's either not a whippet, or very sick, or a heck of a lot younger than the breeder has told you.

I would be very concerned that the pup is ill, or may get ill, but also that you don't have the breed that you have been searching for.

If you could share some pictures we may be able to help you more, but definitely get a vet check as soon as possible.

Wendy
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby Brother Maynard » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:42 pm

We just picked up Nikki from the breeder and 1 day after 9 weeks, she was 7.4 lbs. Tesla, our first pup was a little more distressed when we picked her up and didn't eat much the first day or so. I don't recall if she threw up at first or not. Typical suggestions indicate the pups shouldn't leave their dog mom any sooner than 8 weeks (if memory serves). Welcome to the board, this place is a great resource with lots of concerned and willing to help people. Congratulations on your new pup, it may take a few days to settle into a routine, so keep your head up.

John
Brother Maynard
WW Member

Postby Messyparrot » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:06 am

Welcome to WW!
Congrats on your new puppy, maybe it's an Italian Greyhound? Look forward to seeing pics. Please ask questions there are a lot of very experienced folks here that can help.
ImageHave a great one - Kristy
Messyparrot
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 33910

Postby Charliecheese » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:39 am

Sorry my post should read 6lbs NOT 6kg.
Charlie, Sugden & Ripley
Charliecheese
WW Member

Postby sshirleyks » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Molly threw up all the way home from the breeder, but after that she was fine. I

hope you find out what's going on and that your puppy will be ok. What did you name it? Did you see the other puppies in the litter?
sshirleyks
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:09 pm

Charliecheese wrote:Sorry my post should read 6lbs NOT 6kg.

Are you sure you weren't right the first time? I'd be surprised to find a 10 week old male at 6lbs as that would be 2.7kg, which would be pretty tiny (about the size of my litter at 5 weeks). For males I would think 6kg at 10 weeks would be about right as currently at 8.5 weeks my smallest boy (who is the smallest of the whole litter) are around the 3.7 kg/8lb mark, but the rest are averaging 4.4kg/which is about 9.5lbs. In a couple more weeks I'd expect the rest to be around 6kg.
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby Charliecheese » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:20 pm

Sorry you are right Wendy, I'm having a blonde moment, 6kg!
Charlie, Sugden & Ripley
Charliecheese
WW Member

Postby QuiXand » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:36 pm

I can't imagine a whippet pup at 1.5 pounds. Even toy breeds usually weigh that much or more at eight weeks. My very, very tiny pup from my last litter -- who is now all of 14 pounds at seven months and does look like an IG -- was five pounds at eight weeks. Do you have a photo?
QuiXand
WW Member

Postby AerynnScarlett » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Did you see the mother of the litter? What size was she? Was she definitely a whippet?
AerynnScarlett
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5145

Postby Kirislin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:14 pm

a fat tummy could indicate a belly full of worms. Has it been vaccinated, did you see the siblings or parents? Did you ask the breeders if they've been worming it. I think you need to get your puppy checked out at the vets.
Kirislin
WW Supporter

Postby sue_rescue » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:01 am

I just got a 9 week old female Whippet puppy last week and she only weighs 6.2 lbs. She comes from champion lines and her parents are both average size and she was not a runt. I'm certain of her age since I put a deposit on her at 1 week of age. Is this unusually small? Below is a photo of her with our small cat, I'm praying she grows to average size!
Attachments
Willow 2.jpg
sue_rescue
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board