first time whippet owner ! can they be trusted???

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

first time whippet owner ! can they be trusted???

Postby foxtrot13 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:14 am

Hi everyone, we've just adopted a 6 month old rescue whippet from the dogs home.
We only picked her up yesterday (havnt decided on a name yet), few naughty behaviours as to be expected, crying when left in the kitchen to sleep in the night and toileting indoors. Thinking about getting a crate to try crate training, anyone crate their whippets?
The only thing im worried about with her is the prey drive, internet research has said they cant be trusted with cats and small animals especially if they run, my mother has the tiniest poodle cross that likes to run around their massive garden, we are down my mothers a few times a week with our other dog, so keeping the whippet home would prove difficult. Can she be trusted ?
Thanks so much for any advice !
foxtrot13
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: first time whippet owner ! can they be trusted???

Postby indogolfing » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:24 pm

mine absolutely live to hunt, but they have always known the difference between prey and other dogs once they see what it is. Not the same for cats, though. So until you know for sure, it's best to be safe and take the whippet along, but keep her leashed when around cats or small dogs. Since you've only just got her, give her time to settle in and watch for behaviors you may need to work with. I've heard that you get about a 3 week grace period when they are adapting to a new environment and massive changes in lifestyle, then you may see some undesirable behaviors. But just keep a steady routine, plenty of exercise, and lots of bonding time with walks and games in the backyard. Good job giving a loving home to a homeless whippet, need photos though.
indogolfing
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:26 pm

Hi and welcome to the board. Most of us do crate train. Do you know her background at all? She may already be crate trained. If not it is possible to still train her at this age. Our first one we didn't crate until 6 months or so and she took to it quite quickly.

Re prey drive, I'd be concerned about cats, though she's still young enough you could potentially train her to be ok with a family indoor cat, but that's not your issue. I've never had a problem with whippets and small dogs in regard to prey drive. Most of the problems (if there are any) is that they just need to figure out how to tailor their play to something smaller do they don't accidentally hurt it. So just supervise a lot at the beginning. A friend of mine has an English Toy Terrier (similar to a Toy Manchester terrier) and a Chinese crested and has just adopted a 6mo whippet. She had similar worries but they've had no problems. When my girls play with smaller dogs they are good at getting down to their level and playing, but sometimes need a reminder to be gentle.
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby foxtrot13 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:31 pm

Took her to see the poodles today and no problems at all, bought a crate as well and she's in it now, not sure how fussed she'll be when we close the door tonight though. Few people saying she looks like she's crossed with something, will try and put pics up to see if anyone can guess what with :)
The rescue said she was a stray, she appears to have no house training or any clue about commands including 'sit', and was very content to be tied up while we were sorting the kitchen for an hour, so we are perhaps thinking she could be a gypsy dog that's gone walkies or even abandoned. I think if she'd been someone's pet that's gotten lost, she'd have a slight clue about sit? Who knows :)

Tried to include some pics, hope it works !

foxtrot13
WW Member

Postby indogolfing » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:13 am

awww, she's so lovely. How lucky she found you. Her head does look a little like something mixed in there, but really hard to tell. There are different styles of heads on whippets so it's hard to say as a pup sometimes. Just treat the housebreaking like you've got an 8 wk old new pup on your hands, the more trips outside the better. The more times she goes potty with the feeling of grass under her feet, the more likely she is to develop the habit of that being where she wants to go. Just don't give her the opportunity to develop the habit of going indoors. It sounds like you are doing great with her and settling her in with patience and kindness.
indogolfing
WW Member

Postby whipgrace6 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:29 am

She's a beauty. Can't tell whether she is a cross or not, but she looks mostly Whippet to me. Crate training is a good thing and comes in handy at times. Good luck with your new little one and please keep the pictures coming.
~ Pat, Gracie, and Alf
whipgrace6
WW Supporter

Postby foxtrot13 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:26 am

We'll see as she grows I guess :)
she sounded ridiculously distressed when we left her in the crate in the kitchen to sleep. She settled in the kitchen the night before ok after a little crying. But sounded extremely distressed when in the crate in the kitchen. So we brought the crate up to our bedroom and no problems at all. Took her out in the night to toilet and back up straight to sleep.
Doesn't like being left in a room on her own, which she's going to have to learn to do when I'm back in university in September.
She sleeps an awful lot, are whippets generally sleepy than other breeds? I know pups sleep a lot but she seems to sleep more than my Yorkie did at that age
foxtrot13
WW Member

Postby whipgrace6 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:19 am

Whippets do seem to sleep a little more than other breeds. They are cat-like in that respect. Our Gracie spends most of her time in her cave bed or underneath a blanket so that we can't even see her most of the time. Whippets are commonly referred to as "35 mile an hour couch potatoes". :)
~ Pat, Gracie, and Alf
whipgrace6
WW Supporter

Postby Kirislin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:38 am

she's very pretty and obviously has alot of whippet in her but I agree that it looks like there's something else in the mix as well, but the end result is lovely. Seems like all went well with her meeting your mums little poodle but I was going to suggest with anything new like that have her on a lead so you can see how she'll react and you have control of her. Good luck, she's beautiful.
Kirislin
WW Supporter

Postby sue_rescue » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:39 am

She's gorgeous! Our new pup looks quite a bit like her, hope she is doing well!
Attachments
Willow8.jpeg
Willow5.jpg
sue_rescue
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board