Possible growth plate injury, help!

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Possible growth plate injury, help!

Postby Dobby16 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:06 pm

Last night my beautiful 11 week old puppy jumped out of my arms to try and continue playing with our other dog. I tried to catch him but couldn't and when he landed on the ground he cried and cried (I also cried and cried). He wasn't putting any pressure on his hind leg so we rushed him to the emergency center. They said that they tried all possible movements but couldn't find a spot that they felt was broken and said it is most likely soft tissue damage.

We are taking him to our regular vet tomorrow morning for an x-ray as I am terrified he has injured his growth plate. I completely blame myself and I cant stand seeing our poor little boy not walking (or running around like a crazy puppy) normally.

If anyone can offer any advice as to what questions we should be asking the vet tomorrow, what the long and short term effects could be if he has damaged his growth plate (or if it is a soft tissue injury). Or even any advice on keeping him occupied while he is in his crate, how do I keep him happy and interested while he is meant to be resting?
:(
Thanks so much in advance!
Dobby16
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Possible growth plate injury, help!

Postby MarciaInNM » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:26 pm

Hi, and I'm sorry that your baby was injured. It sounds like you are doing what you need to for him right now, and will be getting the information you need soon.

Do you have an excercise pen (ex-pen)? A pen with a top (necessary for whippets, even puppies!) would be helpful if he needs to be containerized and rest his leg for some amount of time, to give him more room to stretch out.

Rainy is in a heavy duty pen, but they do fine in a regular ex-pen with a top.

Attachments
SmartSelect_20190101-111523_Gallery.jpg
Rainy
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby PAWhippets » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:53 pm

So sorry that happened, but don't be too hard on yourself. Whippets, including baby ones, are programmed for self-destruction :( Hope he's OK. If your regular vet is unsure, a consultation with an orthopedic surgeon may be worthwhile. One other thought for more long-term, if you are thinking of having him neutered at any point, later is better to allow growth plates to close, and that's probably even more important if there has been any injury. I agree with Marcia's ex-pen suggestion. Puzzle toys and scent discrimination/Nosework games are things you might try if he needs a period of rest.

Please let us know how he's doing.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby GrandmaB » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:21 pm

Agree with above...anyone who has had whippets, especially young ones, has suffered from the guilt induced by our impulsive, highly active friends. Don't overthink the injury at this point (and there are more to come). Be guided by your vet, forgive yourself, and help your friend recover
GrandmaB
WW Member

Postby Dobby16 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:53 am

Thanks so much for all of the support! He has had x-rays and extensive consultations and they have said he popped his knee cap out and straight back in, so it was quite traumatic and 8:30 would be good. There is some inflammation around the joint. However (thank goodness) nothing more serious!
He is on bed rest for at least the next week, probably a little longer.

We do have a crate for him however not an ex-pen. Is there a big difference between the two?

He is being pretty good about not running around so far however I think he will quickly become very sick of playtime that doesn't involve jumping and running :)
Dobby16
WW Member

Postby MarciaInNM » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:26 am

I'm glad to hear that he's doing well.

An ex-pen is generally 4 ft by 4 ft, and preferably 3 or so feet high, so definitely more room than a crate, but not enough to go wild in.
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Return to Whippet World Message Board