Beyond Frustrated

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Beyond Frustrated

Postby Knrstz » Mon May 06, 2019 1:44 pm

So my wife and I have been whippet owners for about 12 years. At the end of January we got a new puppy. He's now about 5 months old. He seemed to catch on to house training pretty quickly however he's begun regressing. We let him outside a lot. We crate train him when we are gone. He has been sleeping with us but with two whippets it was too much to handle. We bought a large bed to keep on the floor for the dogs to sleep in. Both seemed to like the bed pretty well. However, Hamilton (the puppy) decided to starts wandering around the house at night and peeing and pooping. So we decided he wasn't quite ready be in the bed and put him back in bed with us. He is crated when we leave the house but I don't want to crate him at night because I feel that's too much time in a crate. Also, he cries at night at times and even in the other room it will wake me up. However within the last week he has started peeing on our bed! It doesn't happen in the middle of the night but often when he runs in to our room for something. Normally all carpeted bedrooms have the door shut. However if he is able to slip in our bedroom even for a moment he jumps on the bed and pees. We have washed all bedding multiple times with oxyclean and used natures miracle. We thought it might be marking although he wasn't raising his leg to pee yet. We had him neutered last week however it happened again yesterday. It's like we've tried everything in the world to accommodate him and he still continues with accidents. He has pooped in the house but its much less infrequent and seems more like a true accident. Needless to say with the bed peeing its beyond frustrating and deliberate. Yesterday he did it again which was the first time after the neutering. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I love him to pieces but I don't think i can keep him if this continues. Please help.
Knrstz
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Beyond Frustrated

Postby PAWhippets » Wed May 08, 2019 4:44 pm

Sorry you are having so much concern with your puppy. Hard to say what's going on. I would go back to treating him like a brand new puppy, as in crated or leashed/tethered to you anytime you can't be 100% watching him for now. Assume he was checked for medical issues such as urinary tract infection when he was neutered?

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby MarciaInNM » Wed May 08, 2019 7:26 pm

If there's room, I'd crate the puppy in your room at night. He'll be sleeping and not moving around much, so it's no big loss to him, especially if he gets to spend that time in close proximity to you both.

Then, like Lois said, restart the house training process. A urinary tract infection could cause those problems, but only a vet is going to be able to tell if he has one. Either way, you are going to need to really neutralize the odors where he has eliminated in your house, so those areas don't attract him to go again. If the urine got through to the mattress or carpet pad, it may need additional cleaning.
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby Aerosmum » Fri May 10, 2019 3:27 am

I agree. I would be crating him at night - it's no loss to him as he'll be sleeping anyway. My 6mo whippet pup sleeps in a crate at night, and probably always will. The problem is that he's very subtle in his toileting cues - he will just quietly walk over to the door and sit there silently until I let him out. I tried letting him sleep in his basket next to my bed one night but because I'm a heavy sleeper/my whippy is very quiet, I didn't hear him when he woke up and he had an accident next to the front door. If he's in his crate he refuses to toilet in there and he'll cry until I wake up and let him out.
Aerosmum
WW Member

Postby Knrstz » Fri May 10, 2019 7:49 pm

He was just neutered last week. So hopefully its just not out of his system. Just to be clear, he isn't peeing in the bed at night when he's sleeping with us. It's happened when he follows us into our bedroom and he quickly jumps on the bed and pees. He actually did the same thing on our guest bed recently too. The house is tiled with the exception of the bedrooms. He actually never pees on the carpet. He he as an accident its always in the tile. The bed peeing is more of an excitement/marking thing to the best of my knowledge.
Knrstz
WW Member

Postby sue_rescue » Tue May 14, 2019 2:01 am

We trained out pup to ring a bell on the back door to go out which works great in case we are busy and do not see her at the door. Perhaps you can try using a belly band on him until he gets a bit older?
sue_rescue
WW Member

Postby Stickdogs » Thu May 16, 2019 10:24 pm

Dogs do not 'get even' or do things to be 'spiteful'. Those are complex human emotions that require one to reflect on the past.

Your pup sounds like he's just not properly house trained or overly excited or anxious. As the others have stated, be sure he has been vet checked to be healthy (no hidden UTIs or infections) and go back to the training baby pup stage.
I also agree, no sleeping in bed with you at night for awhile. Crate at night, BESIDE your bed. With the crate beside your bed, pup can smell you, hear you and be near you while you sleep. And you can hear pup if need to. Not allocated to the other side of the house or a lonely laundry room.

Also, DO NOT allow pup to jump up on your bed (or couch or chair or the guest bed) without your permission. No rushing ahead thru doorways, either.
Keep bedroom doors closed. Attach a 6 ft leash to pup's collar. Fill your pocket with tiny tidbits of a high value treat (chicken slivers, hot dog bits, etc).
With pup SITTING beside you in front of the closed door, say "WAIT" and touch the door knob. If pup does not move, praise "Yes!" and give a treat. Repeat.
Next, say "WAIT" turn the knob to open the door but do not open the door all the way. If pup does not move, praise "Yes! Good Wait!" and give a treat. If pup tries to bolt thru the door, correct with an "Aeh Aeh!" and lure him back into the sitting position. Remind him "WAIT". If pup does not move and looks up to you, "Yes! Good dog!" praise and reward with two treats. Repeat.
Next, with door opened, say "WAIT" and YOU step thru doorway. Pup should be sitting, waiting. If he tries to follow you, "Aeh Aeh!" and put him back into a sit position on the other side of the threshold. When he waits, say "Come" in a high pitched, happy tone. Pup should come to YOU, NOT try to run past you. If pup tries to run past you, say "Aeh Aeh" and put him back into sitting position. Start over. For coming to YOU, good praise "Yes! What a good pup!" and give a jack pot of treats (about 3 to 4 at once). Repeat.
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, keep training sessions short and end on a good note. Do not get frustrated with pup while trying to train him. If you feel yourself losing control, stop. try again later.

Do the same procedure at the foot of the bed, couch, chair, back door, front door. ALWAYS have pup on a leash to help correct and ALWAYS praise when pup does what you want.

Kristal
Stickdogs
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 33688

Postby Knrstz » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks for the advice from everyone. I think the frustration is that he understands he should potty when outside but he doesn't understand that he shouldn't potty inside the house. He outgrew his crate so we got him a bigger one. We were careful to not get him a crate that's too big. Yesterday he peed in his crate which he never does. He is so smart but I swear that he does everything wrong. Just last week he decided that rather than walk into the grass and poop he smells around in the grass and then walks to the concrete patio right outside the door a poops there. :doh: He's six montsh old now and we have had him for four months. We will keep working with him but as I've said, the issue isn't lack of opportunity for him to go outside, lack of praise for going potty and lack of training. We just finished the first round of obedience school last week. He does ok with treats on certain commands but doesn't really follow them when I try to get him to come after he's been outside. We leave all carpeted rooms doors shut. However just last week my wife went in to the office and he followed her in and instantly peed on the floor even though he had been outside recently. It was just a few drops of pee so it wasn't like he had to go. He doesn't have an infection. He's been checked. I'm wondering if I should just put a doggy diaper on him when at all times.
Knrstz
WW Member

Postby Greybeard » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:49 am

Off topic I know, but I once had a cat that spent most of its time outside - but would come in through the catflap, poo in the bath and then go outside again.

Animals, eh? :?
Greybeard
WW Member

Postby Knrstz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:46 pm

I've decided that Hamilton goes outside on a leash only until he figures out that is his purpose for being outside. Plus it will allow me to praise him directly when he goes potty. I worry that maybe he thinks the praise I have been giving him is for coming inside and not for going potty when he's outside.
Knrstz
WW Member

Postby MarciaInNM » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:57 am

I'm thinking you're right. You have to praise the dog pretty much while it's doing what you want. They will associate the praise with whatever they are doing when you say it.

I brought my puppies from their crates outside every morning, carried them out on leash and set them down and walked them over to the gravelled side yard. Once they "produced" for me, I praised them, and turned them loose to play in the yard. They figured out pretty quickly what it took to be allowed to run loose.

It's possible he should be on leash in the house, too, until you have taught him to potty outside.
Marcia
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Postby MarciaInNM » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:01 am

I did tell them Good Potty! while they were going, which helped them learn the command. Now as adults, they all know what Go Potty! means.
Marcia
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Return to Whippet World Message Board