Whippet ears - please post pictures!

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Whippet ears - please post pictures!

Postby Iona » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a question about whippet ears, we have just got our first whippet puppy, Amber, and she has button ears. You know, the ear type that folds over at the top, like Jack Russell ears. I will post a picture when I get to a computer. Anyway, I usually see whippets with rose ears so will Amber loose her ear shape as she gets older (she's 10 weeks) or will they stay like that? If you want to post any pictures of your dog please do!
Iona
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Whippet ears - please post pictures!

Postby PAWhippets » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:39 am

Hello and welcome! To answer your question, Whippet ears do some unusual and very interesting things during the puppy phase (particularly during teething), but as the dog matures, they will usually settle down into a more permanent arrangement, so just enjoy the variations and don't be worried :) And even dogs with very nice rose ears may fly them at the sight of a bunny! I would like to post a photo of our dogs' ears, which are usually pretty lovely, but unfortunately that is not as easy here as it used to be.

Lois, Weaver, Tickle and Ion
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby Iona » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Thanks PAWhippets, I was just wondering what other whippet owners had noticed. I'm one of those people who love dog ears whatever shape they are. My mum loves Amber's ears so she wants them to stay like that but they are getting more varied as she grows.
I don't know if it's worked but I've attached a photo of her.
Attachments
smaller.JPG
Iona
WW Member

Postby OregonLuca » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:41 pm

You just never know what you're gonna get! I would guess they won't stay flopped forward. Our boy (red brindle) had puppy ears like that and now they stand up mostly. Our girl(white) always had perfect rose ears.
Attachments
IMG_4004 copy.jpg
DSC_0296.JPG
DSC_0255 copy.JPG
Heather & Luca & Juno
OregonLuca
WW Member

Postby ohsosolipsistic » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:51 am

Amber's so cute! I love masked pups :romance-inlove:

I think a lot of adult whippets can change ear position at will even though their default is rose arrangement. Zeke had very floppy button ears as a pup but now usually has them in rose as an adult. He can still flop them over if intrigued or wanting to play (but can't fly them, probably because the ends are too long). Molly has perfect rose ears now as default but often had one or both in fly position as a pup, and still can position them that way. She also went through a brief semi-button phase.

ohsosolipsistic
WW Member

Postby Greybeard » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:40 am

For the past few days Dylan's ears have been like this:

ears.jpg
Greybeard
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board