Whippets Crooked Toes

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Whippets Crooked Toes

Postby codyyano » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

So excited to have found this forum to learn more about my beautiful whippets and share them with the community!

I have a question regarding my Whippet, Olive's paws. Please see the attached images in the google drive link for more of a visual. I am not sure if it a normal issue, it doesn't seem to bother her. We have been frequently cutting her nails to try and shorten them but since a pup has had really long quicks, we are clipping them weekly. We are mainly worried about them curling in when she stands on them. She seems to run fine and it doesn't phase her at all.. One vet was quick to say she would like to do a tendonocmy and cut the tendons under her toes to release them. We are a little unsure to proceed with the lack of supporting evidence/knowledge on this issue. Is there concerns up the chain into her shoulders, posture and overall quality of life?

Has anyone experienced this before?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AbqvvRqzrJe1rUERmrf3DUX0c0HReKa2

Note* little Olive is a runt, she has one "broken" ear defect from birth, she also only had one fallopian tube which was discovered during her spay. She is our special little lady.
codyyano
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Whippets Crooked Toes

Postby OregonLuca » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:00 pm

I have never seen this, but am wondering if this is knuckling. I do remember our breeder warning us about feeding puppy food to our whippets as a possible cause of this. You can search "knuckling" in the search bar. Maybe some of the more experienced whippet owners and breeders will comment.
P.S. Your whippets are beautiful!
Heather & Luca & Juno
OregonLuca
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Return to Whippet World Message Board