Funeral arrangements have been made for Brigitte

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Funeral arrangements have been made for Brigitte

Postby AerynnScarlett » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:55 pm

RooRoo wrote:Funeral arrangements have been made for Brigitte.

Her service will be on Sunday, 6/26/11 at 12:30 PM at the Hines Rinaldi Funeral Home, 11800 New Hampshire Avenue, Silver Spring, MD. Burial will follow at Judean Gardens Memorial Cemetery, in Olney, MD, about 20 minutes drive. Directions can be found at hinesrinaldifuneralhome.com

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Melanie posted this in Brigitte's memorial thread, but I am worried it may be overlooked there by some. There are so many great memories on that thread. I am posting it here so those who are within driving distance can see in time to attend.

____

Edited by chelynnah to add the information from yesterday regarding where to send donations and cards

RooRoo wrote:As you have been made aware, Brigitte passed away around 1:30 p.m. today. She passed peacefully surrounded by those who loved and cared for her. On behalf of Brigitte’s family, I want to express sincere gratitude for your support during Brigitte’s illness. Your prayers and words of comfort have helped to sustain her family and close friends during these difficult days.

In honor of Brigitte’s commitment to Whippet Rescue, her family has requested that, in lieu of flowers, donations be sent to WRAP at the following address:

Whippet Rescue and Placement, Inc.
c/o Jean Schroeder, Treasurer
17502 S. 750 W
Wanatah, IN 46390

If you would like to express your condolences to Brigitte’s family, you may send cards to her mother at the following address:

Beverly Greenberg
10409 Edgewood Ave.
Silver Spring, MD 20901

Information on Brigitte’s memorial service will be forthcoming.

Melanie
Last edited by chelynnah on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: add memorial donation and card information
AerynnScarlett
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5145

Re: Funeral arrangements have been made for Brigitte

Postby AerynnScarlett » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:46 am

Just a head's up that the date on the funeral is the 26th, not this Sunday. One member pointed it out to us, so I thought I would put up a note so everyone is sure of the date.
AerynnScarlett
WW Manager

Postby RooRoo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:25 pm

Additional Information:

Brigitte's mom has asked me to let you know that Brigitte's brother, Marc and his wife, Alesya, will host guests at their home in McLean after the funeral. If you are able to attend this gathering, you can RSVP to Brigitte's mom, Beverly at
bbmtgrn2004 @ yahoo.com and she will provide the address. Even if you can't make the funeral, I think it would be fine to drop by Marc's if that timing works better for you, although you would also need to RSVP. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Melanie
RooRoo
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby wllmfnk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:10 pm

Does anyone have info on what newspaper Brigitte's Obituary is listed in? Thanks for any info that can be added!! ~Bill Funk~
wllmfnk
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:37 am

Mel suggested on the other thread to try a Google search 'obituary Brigitte Greenberg' but that hasn't turned up anything for me yet aside from the funeral home. Hopefully someone will post when there's been one.

Wendy
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby chelynnah » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Brigitte's mom just posted on facebook that they have put a photo and small obituary on the funeral home website.

http://stei-23836.tributes.com/show/Bri ... g-91719996

OMGoodness what a beautiful photo!

Wendy

chelynnah
WW Manager

Postby EmilNorenaDigby » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:17 pm

Agree....it's stunning!

Norena & Emil & Digby
EmilNorenaDigby
WW Member

Postby Charliecheese » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:54 pm

We're thinking of Brigitte and her family today.
Charlie, Sugden & Ripley
Charliecheese
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 39186

Postby chelynnah » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:25 pm

We were too. I hope everything went ok. My thoughts are still with the family this evening.

chelynnah
WW Manager

Postby Francarrich » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Same here, but the time difference makes things a little more difficult.

BanjoImageCarolImageRIP AidaImage

Francarrich
WW Supporter

Postby Kirislin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Me too. It's now Monday morning here. I hope her family and friends are all holding up, and remembering her for the amazing and wonderful person she was.
Rest in Peace Brigitte.
Kirislin
WW Supporter

Postby AerynnScarlett » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:50 am

It seems odd to post a report of Brigitte's funeral, but she was a journalist and shared so much of herself and her knowledge throughout her life, even to keep posting updates on Facebook about her final illness, that it also seems odd not to. Plus, all of the love and support that you all have shown here on Whippet World were felt so tangibly at the funeral, that it was like you all were there, in a way. I found the service so comforting that I wanted to share some memories of it with you who are grieving too, and I hope it comforts so many of you who have been holding Bee in your minds and hearts.

When I got there, Dr. Henderson was just arriving and set up a greeting area outside the funeral home, in the shade, with beds and water for Bee's dogs, so that everyone could greet them as they went in and they would be present at the funeral. Brigitte's mom explained that the dogs were Bee's family too, and so they should be there.

Inside, there was a table there with pictures of her throughout her life and it was wonderful to see who she was before she was the person that I knew, yet see how those other parts of her life continued to be a part of the person she became. For example, there was a picture of her in her cheerleading uniform from high school, and at first it was almost funny to see responsible, take charge Brigitte as a sunny schoolgirl cheerleader, but at the same time, that enthusiasm and ability to inspire and motivate people who otherwise would sit motionless on the sidelines clearly continued to be a part of her adult life, too.

Before the service began, the rabbi began by pinning ribbons on the clothes of her mother, sister, and brother. She explained that it was part of a Jewish tradition that began when mourners would rend their clothes in grief. Now, they wear a ribbon, then the rabbi cuts the ribbon to show how something has been torn from their lives, and things are now changed forever. It was such a powerful symbol of the loss that we were feeling. In a way, the fact that there were all these whippet people at the service without any leashes or dogs functioned the same way for me, the way many people were wearing black. For me, at least, Scarlett especially is my heart. To be without her when I was so sad was like leaving a part of myself behind -- it was such a visible reminder of how so many of us were without the source of so much of our love and joy, our dogs, as an unintentional symbol of our grief, if that makes sense.

The service was lovely, full of memories of Brigitte. The rabbi even read some of the memorial posts from Whippet World, as a reminder of how many lives Bee touched. Bee's mother spoke and said how much Brigitte clearly touched lives all over the world, and that hundreds of people knew her and cared about her. The rabbi read a passage about how a person's life is short, but a good reputation is forever, and in this way Bee's good reputation will last forever in the hearts and minds of those she touched and all the good work she did.

Dr. Henderson also shared how Bee's dogs are doing. Two of them will be with a woman at the Playdate Club, and so they will continue to be part of that community. Two, Cory and Pony, are in a home with a couple whose whippet passed on in February, so they were ready for another dog. She said that she felt like God put them back in touch with her just in time to provide Brigitte's dogs with a wonderful home for the rest of their lives, where they can be together. Finally, she spoke on how well Daisy was doing. Bambi was missing Brigitte the most, but Dr. Henderson said that she hugs her every morning and every night and comforts her and tries to share how Bee is always in Dr. Henderson's heart, so Bee is giving her beloved dogs a hug every morning and every night.

At the burial, the rabbi shared another Jewish tradition, where the pall bearers stop seven times on the way to the grave site and say a brief prayer before moving on. This tradition symbolizes how reluctant the mourners are to say good bye to their loved one. The number seven in Jewish tradition is a number symbolizing completion, so the seven stops symbolize a completed life. The tradition seemed to embody so much of what I was feeling that day and the heaviness in my heart and how hard it was.

The final tradition was for the mourners to shovel the dirt onto the casket in the grave. The rabbi explained that it a way of showing that we would continue to care for Brigitte until the very last instant, for as long as we were able. That it was a final duty to honor her and take care of her and make sure she was properly buried and honored. She said it was a mitzvah, a duty, to the person being buried. I know I did not know Bee as well as some people who saw her more often or who were closer to her, but I was honored to be able to participate in this final mitzvah for her. She was always someone who did good deeds for others, made any sacrifice, who never shirked a difficult duty if she believed that it was the right thing to do and this final tradition seemed so completely to embody the Brigitte that I knew. I knew that if she were there, she would take up the spade and honor her friend. More than that, she would have made sure everyone did their part. My heart broke as I did it, but I am so honored to have known her and been able to be inspired by her and I hope that I can carry that lesson forward in my own life.

Hugs to all of you who I know were there in spirit.

--Erin
AerynnScarlett
WW Manager

Postby Romans mom » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:25 am

Thank you, Erin. I was hoping someone would post an update to how things went. It's hard to imagine this community without her. I am so happy that the dogs will be loved like she would have wanted.

Krista
Romans mom
WW Member

Postby Sorrie too » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:41 am

Erin, Thank you for your post. :rose:

Felicia, Sorrie & Lizzy
Felicia, Sorrie & Lizzy
Sorrie too
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 34797

Postby SpininCrazy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:01 am

Thank you Erin for your post. It is beautiful. I had planned to attend, but in the end was not able to go. I had Brigitte and her family in my thoughts all day. I was troubled that I was not there to say the last goodbye even though I said my goodbyes from here at home at 12:30. Reading you description brought closure to the day. Thank you.

Linda :sympathy-flower:
Daydream
SpininCrazy
WW Member

Postby patchnmike » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:44 am

Erin that was a beautiful description of her funeral. Thanks so much for writing it. It was so nice to meet you today and to see Allie and Rhonda and Steve and Diana. There were probably more WW people but I didn't know them by sight.

One other speech that was given was the one by Brigitte's college friend Amy...it was superb. She made us all laugh with her and cry with her. They have been friends for 23 years. She told us how they met in college and how Brigitte took her under her wing. She told stories about how Bee organized her and showed her the ropes. She finished by saying that it was a good thing that Bee went to heaven first because she knows that Bee will have it all organized and when Amy gets up there she'll be there to show her the ropes.

The hardest part for me was coming up to the covered porch and seeing Brigitte's dogs, all of whom I had cared for over the years, even assisted at Summer's first delivery in my red penguin pajamas!! Rudolf and Summer saw me and started barking and jumping on me and I just lost it. All the new owners were just the most bright shining lights and I know they will be such good caretakers of these well loved pooches.

I too came away filled with love and satisfaction that Bee was so well and thoroughly honored. The sadness is still there but the beauty of the service was a perfect send off for a dear friend and really lifted my heart.
jini :brokenheart:
patchnmike
WW Supporter

Postby MarciaInNM » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:09 am

Thank you so much for letting us feel a little bit like we were there to send off our friend and wish everyone (and every dog) there well. It made me feel a little comforted, even if I did cry my eyes out at the description.
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby chelynnah » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:06 am

Erin and Jini thank you both so much for sharing you experiences. It makes me feel like I was there in a way. And Erin thank you especially for sharing the traditions and meanings and your comparison about being whippetless there.

It all made me tear up but in a good way. It's helping me say goodbye even though I'm still not ready.

W

chelynnah
WW Manager

Next

Return to Whippet World Message Board