Ohio Members...

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Ohio Members...

Postby RoughCollies » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:00 pm

Anyone live in Southern Central Ohio?

Long story and can't get into it just yet but I'm looking to see what is in that general area for dog related activities. Shows, lure coursing, racing, just anyone doing Whippet play dates or any other Whippet owners live that way?

It's about an hour south east-ish of Columbus, if that helps. Definitely within driving distance of W. Virginia for shows if I stayed the night.

Again, really tough story to get into on the forum but can pm info for anyone in the area that wants specifics.
Sugar Rush Whippets
RoughCollies
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 23635

Re: Ohio Members...

Postby DebsDogs » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Roxie that would put you about 1 1/2 hours from me and I can tell you there are lots of things close by for you to do.
DebsDogs
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 3333

Postby Janet and the Hounds » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:52 pm

Roxie,
I am close to Deb in the Dayton area. There are always dog related activities in Dayton and also within 2-3 hour driving distance.

Janet
Janet and the Hounds
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby RoughCollies » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:55 pm

It's about 2 hours from Dayton. Not a bad drive at all. I'm hoping to be able to get to more shows out there, too. Is there coursing in the general area? I don't even know where to look really?
Sugar Rush Whippets
RoughCollies
WW Supporter

Postby Templarwhip » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:08 pm

Well, I'm in northern WV, (near Wheeling) and I can be at a show usually within a 3 hour drive at least twice a month. Coursing 3-5 hrs away. So there are lots of activities in the area.
Templarwhip
WW Member

Postby Janet and the Hounds » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:27 pm

There are many dog activities in this area including lure coursing.

What's the name of the city?
Janet and the Hounds
WW Supporter

Postby RoughCollies » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Logan, Ohio.
Sugar Rush Whippets
RoughCollies
WW Supporter

Postby CincyWhips » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:59 pm

Ooooh...I live in Cincinnati and my in-laws are in Circleville, so I am there often, too! I went to school at Ohio University so I am very familiar with Logan! We go coursing a lot in Fairborn, Reynoldburg, Lima, etc. I race in Lebanon, Lewisville IN, Carthage IN, and New Castle, IN. There are many, many great dog shows in the Columbus area and all over. I would love to meet up with you and have a playdate when I am in Circleville sometime!!!!

Catherine and the whippets Madden, Allie, Lacey, Wager, and Kayla
CincyWhips
WW Member

Postby RoughCollies » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:39 pm

CincyWhips wrote:Ooooh...I live in Cincinnati and my in-laws are in Circleville, so I am there often, too! I went to school at Ohio University so I am very familiar with Logan! We go coursing a lot in Fairborn, Reynoldburg, Lima, etc. I race in Lebanon, Lewisville IN, Carthage IN, and New Castle, IN. There are many, many great dog shows in the Columbus area and all over. I would love to meet up with you and have a playdate when I am in Circleville sometime!!!!

Catherine and the whippets Madden, Allie, Lacey, Wager, and Kayla

What is Logan like? It's kind of a blind move, really. Not the first time I've done that, third in fact. But I'm hoping it is the last ever.

I would love to have a playdate with you and your pups. It'll be nice just to be back in my own state finally, even though it's pretty far from Cleveland. It's been so long since I've been home.
Sugar Rush Whippets
RoughCollies
WW Supporter

Postby CincyWhips » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:26 am

Logan is quite rural, but pretty close to Columbus and smaller cities like Lancaster, Canal Winchester, and Chillicothe. It's also close to Athens, Ohio where Ohio University is. Athens is a nice college town. Circleville is close, and is a cute town with a big Pumpkin Show in October. Nearby Nelsonville has a Lumberjack Festival.
The Hocking Valley has lots of state parks with Old Man's Cave and lots of hiking and camping.
Oh, and as far as dog activities near your family in Cleveland, there's the LARK coursing trials in Oberlin. I don't go up that way often...I stick to southern Ohio and Indiana, but if you'd like to do a dog event and visit family, LARK is an option.

Good luck with your move!!

Catherine
CincyWhips
WW Member

Postby CincyWhips » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:27 am

Oh, and the name of my coursing club that hosts events in the Cincinnati and Columbus area is OKIGO.
CincyWhips
WW Member

Postby RoughCollies » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:50 am

Thank you! That will all be very helpful!
Sugar Rush Whippets
RoughCollies
WW Supporter

Postby PS woody » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi!
I live in Cleveland which looks to be about 3 hours from Logan. I think you would find lots of dog and sight hound activity within an 1 to 3 hour drive from you. As Catherine noted there is lots of coursing and racing in Indiana and Southern Ohio. In fact this year the WRA/NOTRA Nationals will be in New Castle IN (about 3 hours from Logan). There is also some coursing in and around Columbus and Cleveland. LARK holds WRA, CWA and coursing trials near Oberlin. In addition there are lots of show ring opportunities all over the state. Many are small shows, but there are also several big shows. If you are into Obedience and/or Rally there are several opportunities as well. In addition there is lots of agility - our Cleveland club hosts trials 10 months out of 12 each year as well as several other clubs that host trials. I think rather then worry about having too few things to do with your dogs in this area, it is figuring our how to not do too much.
PS woody
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 871

Return to Whippet World Message Board