whippet clothes patterns

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

whippet clothes patterns

Postby tobiasthorne » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:08 am

Does anyone have patterns they can share or can point me to for whippets clothes and accessories? I got my paws on a sewing machine (never touched one before) and I want to make stuff for my boys. I want to do it all, snuggies, coats... cute stuff :P
tobiasthorne
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 43307

Re: whippet clothes patterns

Postby kentruth » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:19 am

The one thing I can tell you about most of the sewing patterns available in most fabric stores is that they aren't long enough in back length for whippets so need adjustment to the pattern there and after a :text-google: I did find out there was a sewing machine called a WHIPPET http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ab-sewing&tid=13172 I know none of this is of much use to you however. I would think since you are not a sewer you might want to consider a beginners course and get out the tape measure and start measuring your pup and make adjustments for seams, body length, depth of chest etc.

Good luck on the project, and let us know how it goes. Perhaps some of our sewers will jump in with some advice soon, I'm on the East coast and just now up at 6AM.
kentruth
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby WierdWilson » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:21 am

I do a lot of sewing and found that the best way to develop a pattern was to take one I like apart and use it as a pattern or at least studying how it is made (the pieces that make up the garment). Next, I lay my whippet (or other dog) on the floor on top of either a newspaper or large piece of paper and start marking out a pattern. The old ones are the best as they don't usually move around much - at least mine doesn't. He does know that if he holds still, he'll get a new coat soon. I also take existing commercial patterns and pin a lot of darts in them to form the garment more to the whippet's body, especially around the back end. Good luck, this time of year you might get fabric on sale, with winter leaving (eventually)!
WierdWilson
WW Member

Postby CincyWhips » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:29 am

I do the same as above...take one that I like (or one that I don't like that I can modify), take it apart, figure out how i can make it even better, and make a pattern. Dog stuff is quite easy to make, and fleece/flannel/jersey is inexpensive. I think I've made my dogs at least 3 coats each this winter, and I made some to give as Christmas gifts, and I've made a few sets of jammies for the girls, too!
Good luck!

Catherine
CincyWhips
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board