Is my dog a whippet mix?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Is my dog a whippet mix?

Postby kmnewburg » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:51 am

Hi everyone,
My husband and I got our first dog, Pearl, in March and we have been told by many people that she looks like a whippet or greyhound mix (although others say she looks nothing like a whippet... her paperwork when we adopted her said pointer/lab, she kind of grew into her lean shape as she grew up). She is about 40 lbs and has some characteristics that I think are common for whippets. She is very sweet-natured and loves to be curled up against you when she is tired (she is only about 1 so she is not tired often, haha), she loves armchairs and soft piles of blankets and rarely lies on the floor, she counter surfs and jumps super high when she wants to, she always wants to look out windows and is constantly breaking our blinds to try to look out, she goes after small furry things especially rabbits, and she runs like a whippet or a greyhound. She is pretty obedient in the house but once she sees a rabbit in the yard outside she has NO recall. She has short, fine hair, very little body fat (she is all muscle), and she hates the rain. Here are some photos:

We are planning on adopting a whippet for our second dog as soon as we have the money and space (we are students right now), so whether she is a whippet mix or not I am glad people have suggested Pearl may have some whippet in her, otherwise I would have never started researching the breed and became smitten (and even if Pearl's not a whippet she's still perfect ;) ).

Thanks for your input, I am far from a whippet expert and am enjoying poking around this forum and seeing pictures of all your beautiful dogs.
kmnewburg
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Is my dog a whippet mix?

Postby patchnmike » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:05 am

She looks a lot like a dog in my neighborhood who has the same head and slight curvy build. I ran after them one day to see if they had a whippet also....if you aren't that person then your dog could be her clone! I'd bet she has some whippet in her and would definitely advise you to get one as soon as possible! Ha ha ha...just because whippets are the da bomb!

Welcome to our board.
Jini
patchnmike
WW Supporter

Postby DFox » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:09 am

I am by no means an expert but she does appear to be very whippet like. Even her feet look whippety to me, especially when she is standing upright. Whatever she is, she is adorable! Welcome!

Deb Wally and Winston
DFox
WW Member

Postby AerynnScarlett » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:41 am

The very whippety body with a head from another breed seems pretty common in whippet mixes and whippets certainly grow into their curvy shape -- too often rescues look like whippet mixes when they are half starved then fill out once they get proper care and nutrition. A dog that gets leaner and curvier with good care and nutrition while maintaining that gorgeous coat like your girl has a much better chance of being a whippet. She looks like a fun girl and certainly sounds whippety!
AerynnScarlett
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5145

Postby critterz-mom » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:58 am

My sister has a Lab/Whippet/? cross that looks a LOT like your dog, but my sister's dog is black with only white toes (no 'mittens') and no white on her throat. She certainly looks like a Whippet or GH cross.
critterz-mom
WW Member

Postby Messyparrot » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:13 pm

Welcome to WW, your Pearl might indeed be part Whippet. Glad she has brought you to do some research on the Whippet breed - sounds like Pearl has been educating you pretty well already as those sound like Whippet "quirks". lol

She is adorable BTW!
ImageHave a great one - Kristy
Messyparrot
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 33910

Postby Patience » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:01 pm

Whatever she is, she's BEEEYOOTEEFULL!!!! Welcome to Whippet World!!!
Patience and the Warburton Waggle

Have you read your story today?
http://Patience-please.blogspot.com
Patience
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5750

Postby PS woody » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:42 pm

Not sure if she is a whippet mix or not,but she reminds me of my Woody. Like your beautiful gal some folks said he looked and acted like a whippet or at least some sight hound which lead me to really investigate the breed. Now I have two wonderful whippets and hope to have more throughout my life time. I am completely hooked.
Attachments
threesome.jpg
The threesome, Sundae, Pete and Woody
big brother c.jpg
Woody and my second whippet.
67a5.jpg
Woody and my first whippet.
PS woody
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 871

Postby Wendy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:04 pm

I think a lot of leggy pit mixes are labeled as whippet or greyhound mixes. She's adorable either way! You could always try one of those DNA breed screening tests if you're really curious, although they sometimes come up with some wacky results :)
Wendy
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 20088

Postby Niffarious » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:15 pm

My parents have a pure bred english pointer. This dog was a rescue, and looked like an emaciated sack of bones when they got her. For the first year and a half, she looked just like that - very leggy, very slender. She had a lot of growing and catching up to do and was very active, so she kept such a shape for a while. And, undocked pointers can have VERY long skinny tails. :)
Jen, Laika & Flint
Niffarious
WW Member

Postby AerynnScarlett » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:47 am

I think those breed tests usually only have a limited number of breeds in the database so the results are wacky. Whippets would probably test as greyhound-terrier crosses.
AerynnScarlett
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5145

Postby avasmommy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:59 pm

She does look whippety! Either way, very very cute, and welcome to WW.
avasmommy
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 30601

Postby chelynnah » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:55 pm

I think it's definitely a possibility. We have a whippet/terrier mix who looked very whippety till she was about 2-3yo and then kind of spread in front so she has a very staffy looking front end and whippety backend. But don't tell her she's not a purebred - she'd be crushed LOL.

Either way you're welcome on the board as we welcome all members and their dogs - whippets or not :)

she certainly looks very sweet :romance-inlove:

Wendy
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby Kirislin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:17 pm

She doesn't look that whippety to me, some kind of hunting dog in there, and maybe even Dane, but who cares, she is gorgeous, what ever she is. Welcome to whippet world.
Kirislin
WW Supporter

Postby HopTuit Whippets » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:38 pm

I have a co-worker who knows pretty much every breed at a glance, and her first thought was Dane, except for the size. Do you have photos of her face straight on? She's beautiful whatever she is. Her behaviors sound very whippety indeed. :banana-dance:
HopTuit Whippets
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 45257

Postby Kirislin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:18 pm

HopTuit Whippets wrote:I have a co-worker who knows pretty much every breed at a glance, and her first thought was Dane, except for the size. Do you have photos of her face straight on? She's beautiful whatever she is. Her behaviors sound very whippety indeed. :banana-dance:

Interesting 'cause that's what I saw too.
Kirislin
WW Supporter

Postby Charlene » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:39 am

Is she fast?

-char
Charlene
WW Member

Postby kmnewburg » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks for all of your thoughts. Pearl is definitely fast- before we stopped going to the dog park she would outrun any of the other dogs there like she wasn't even trying. I think she got bored running with them since they couldn't keep up. She LOVES to run. She does have that whippet running motion too, I think, although we don't see her running full out much these days because we stopped going to the dog park- I felt like it was too many dogs and I wasn't in control enough of the situation. I am posting the closest thing I have to a head on shot of her, it's a couple of months old. She is hard to take a picture of because she is either moving or sleeping all curled up.

We appreciate the warm welcome and of course we love to hear how beautiful Pearl is. Seriously, compliment my dog and I will be your friend for life. I think she would like a whippet brother or sister when we are ready- I wonder if it will make her calmer. She is a "busy" dog and keeps us on our toes. I keep hearing how whippets are mischievous until 2 or 3 and then calm down and become little angels. Cross your fingers that whatever Pearl's bloodlines are she shares that characteristic with whippets. We are tired! Whenever we are talking about Pearl we start to say "she's a good dog... well, no she's not but we love her." I get tired of her energy, curiosity, and intelligence (she picks up new tricks in no time but its hard to keep her mentally stimulated) but those are the same things I love about her.
kmnewburg
WW Member

Next

Return to Whippet World Message Board