Swallowed Bully Stick Whole

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Swallowed Bully Stick Whole

Postby muddyclips » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Kidogo just swallowed his bully stick whole right in front of me. He had laid down a couple of feet from me, and was chewing. In a moment I could not see the bully stick anymore, but he was still chewing. Before I could say his name or get up to walk over, he quickly swallowed the entire thing! It was about 4-5 inches long, FAT on one end and the rest of it pencil thin. He had barely started chewing it. Should I be worried? This happened about 30 mins ago, and he has pooped since but no signs of the stick. He's drinking normally, and playing as usual. I'm afraid it is going to get lodged in his system somewhere.
muddyclips
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Swallowed Bully Stick Whole

Postby Tard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:05 pm

If you have a local emergency vet, give them a call for advice.
Tard
WW Member

Postby Kirislin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:29 pm

Geeze dogs can be dopey sometimes. Hopefully it will soften and digest, it is flesh after all. I doubt you'd get him to vomit it up again, that might cause damage. Probably encourage him to drink lots of fluids because it's dry, even if you give him chicken stock (unsalted) to drink down.
I dont think I'd be giving him bully sticks again either.
Kirislin
WW Supporter

Postby muddyclips » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:33 pm

I did, they didn't even know what a bully stick is. /: They gave me a list of symptoms to watch for over the next 3-4 days. Loss of appetite, distention or tenderness of stomach, trouble swallowing, trouble pooping, vomiting, blood in mouth or poop. I think that's all we can do right now, watch and wait. /:

Yeah I'm going to stay away from bully sticks from now on. My worry is that it was too long and barely chewed up. I have absolutely no idea how it's fitting inside of him right now.
muddyclips
WW Member

Postby patchnmike » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:54 pm

Are you sure he didn't just chew it up? I give them to dogs all the time and they do make very short work of them. How long was it about 6 inches?
Jini
patchnmike
WW Supporter

Postby Wendy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:59 pm

Lemmy has thrown up large chunks of bully sticks 3-4 days after he last had one. I'd be worried it will just sit inside him. Definitely watch stool output and if there are any signs of pain, panting, trembling, etc get him to the vet asap.
Wendy
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 20088

Postby muddyclips » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:04 am

I think it was almost 5 inches. I doubt he chewed it up so quickly because it had that awfully fat end and his bully sticks have lasted him days before. Actually, he's never finished one, because my MIL's wiener dog steals them and finishes them off.

He has a check up on Tuesday so maybe the vet can check and give me an okay...I hope. For now he seems fine, napping very peacefully.
muddyclips
WW Member

Postby WhippyChick » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:23 am

There's really nothing you can do but keep an eye on him and wait for it to pass. I imagine it will soften up inside his digestive track and work it's way out with everything else. You may not even see it. I understand you're nervous, I get nervous about giving Z rawhide bones (not made in China, of course!), and that he's going to choke. I let him gnaw at it then pull it away when it gets too small, but you didn't even have the chance to do that!
Michelle
Zorro's Mom
WRAP Atlanta
WhippyChick
WW Member

Postby Hannah » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:07 am

Wilson did it! A bully stick disappeared one day and I assumed he'd hidden it somewhere as he is not a fast eater (chews every piece of kibble 50 times I swear).
Then I was out walking him when he did a poo, so being a good dog owner I got my bag out to pick it up, when I noticed it looked really strange. Hate to be the crazy dog lady examining my dogs poo next to the path, but I eventually realised it must be the bully stick.
(Sorry if this is to much information) It had held its shape but had softened a lot (I could tell when I picked it up in the bag). Wilson had no trouble passing it.
It was a while ago, so I can't remember if that was one day or two days after he'd eaten it. But definitely we didn't have any issues. So I wouldn't panic, just keep an eye on him. It's something that is designed to be eaten at least, so could be worse.
It sounds about as long as Wilson's piece was.
I went through heaps of heaps of bully sticks no trouble when Wilson was younger, but haven't given one to him since he swallowed one whole.
ImageImageImage
Hannah
WW Member

Postby Francarrich » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:40 am

I think all of mine have done that at some time. They often vomit them back a few days later (even up to a week, one time), although five inches sounds rather long for that to happen.

BanjoImageCarolImageRIP AidaImage

Francarrich
WW Supporter

Postby muddyclips » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:56 am

Hannah wrote:Wilson did it! A bully stick disappeared one day and I assumed he'd hidden it somewhere as he is not a fast eater (chews every piece of kibble 50 times I swear).
Then I was out walking him when he did a poo, so being a good dog owner I got my bag out to pick it up, when I noticed it looked really strange. Hate to be the crazy dog lady examining my dogs poo next to the path, but I eventually realised it must be the bully stick.
(Sorry if this is to much information) It had held its shape but had softened a lot (I could tell when I picked it up in the bag). Wilson had no trouble passing it.
It was a while ago, so I can't remember if that was one day or two days after he'd eaten it. But definitely we didn't have any issues. So I wouldn't panic, just keep an eye on him. It's something that is designed to be eaten at least, so could be worse.
It sounds about as long as Wilson's piece was.
I went through heaps of heaps of bully sticks no trouble when Wilson was younger, but haven't given one to him since he swallowed one whole.

Thanks, this makes me feel a little better. Kidogo's only 16 weeks, so I did not expect him to be able to do something like that, especially when he's chewed on the same bully stick for days at a time with little progress. He's pooped twice since then and I squished it (in the bag) but I didn't find anything abnormal about it. He at normally tonight too.

Thanks for all the input and advice. I definitely will be watching him very closely over the next few days.
muddyclips
WW Member

Postby Hannah » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:20 am

I'm almost a little impressed Kidogo managed to do that at 16wks, Wilson would have been at least 9 months before he swallowed one!
ImageImageImage
Hannah
WW Member

Postby CherwingWhippets » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:49 am

Ours started swallowing stubs around 4-5 mos (& when carsick have spit them back up), but we have never encountered any in poop. We did have to start rationing them during teething as Savie upset her stomach she was going through so many. Water and lots of it essential--keep it fresh and cold all day--when desperate we hold the water bowl for them--makes it seem special and they'll drink a bit more. Somewhere on WW I saw a set-up with a bully stick in a heavy mechanical vise-grip--that would keep them from swallowing a whole stick or stub, I think.
Savie, Zadie, Chippy, Cathy, & Mitchell.
CherwingWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 46067

Postby patchnmike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:27 pm

Okay I'm learning something from this post....no more bully sticks!!!! The only problem I had with them was when a curly one got stuck under Coco's chin and the other end curled tightly up over her jaw and down into her mouth. I stopped using those and now I'll quit using the straight ones! Too bad I wish there was something they could chew on that wasn't a threat to them.
Jini
patchnmike
WW Supporter

Postby muddyclips » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:27 pm

What IS safe to give them then? Kidogo's teething like crazy, doesn't like the fancy puppy teething toys. His interest in frozen ropes doesn't last more than 2 minutes. He has a rawhide bone but he isn't a powerful chewer so he hasn't gotten even a bite of it off, so he gives up on it really quickly. He's only interested in his kong when there's something yummy in there. Even then he uses his tongue to get it out and doesn't attempt chewing at all.

Update: still all normal behavior. Ate his whole meal yesterday night and this morning, drank lots of water. He is walking well. Slept through the night, no vomiting. Poops have all seemed normal so far.

Here's a picture of him sleeping on my chest
muddyclips
WW Member

Postby finnsmum » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Same here! After Niamh swallowed a fish skin tied like a rawhide bone and I freaked out I realized that some of our whippets just can't be trusted to slow down and enjoy! I never had a problem with Finn - except for the one time he overindulged and it made his tummy upset. I seem to have a bit of competition between my two girls and they just can't eat them slowly.

As far as teething goes, I'm not a bit fan of rawhide at all, but if he really enjoys the taste of the bully sticks you can hold one end for them while they chew and then take it away when you feel they have had enough. He learns that you are the giver of good things and may learn some respect as well. I fill kongs with their food and freeze when they need some 'alone time'. I also found that making sure they get a lot of exercise too the edge off. Good luck with teething :)
finnsmum
WW Member

Postby zepherdude » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:47 pm

try ice cubes,when we first got zepher he was chewing on sticks and that freeked me out so we got him a frozen chew bone called a chilly bone but he is an aggresive chewer so it only lasted a few days.he still likes sticks sometimes when weathers crappy and hubby is working on somthing he will set things up in the greenhouse(or my livingroom) and cut wood,what drops is grabed by the dude and we have to run him down to get it back.
zepherdude
WW Member

Postby Chase » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:20 pm

I'm almost embarrassed to suggest it (because I have always thought they were total duds), but you might try the new nylabones. I've never in my life had a dog that would touch a nylabone (I used to totally make fun of them) until the company pretty much completely reformulated and reformed them. Lots of shapes, nubs, sizes and different tastes. Now they are so high value at my house that the dogs sneak around trying to bury them in the yard. And they are darn near indestructible.

Although....they come in different formulation for soft/medium/hard chewers and you may need to experiment.
Chase
WW Member

Next

Return to Whippet World Message Board