URGENT INFO: Re Board Downtime, Hosting and Removing Photos

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

URGENT INFO: Re Board Downtime, Hosting and Removing Photos

Postby chelynnah » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:41 pm

As most of you may be aware the board was down for a good portion of last night and today. There are a couple of issues, and there's still more to do before we are back up and properly functional. I'm sure you'll notice that a lot of our icons have changed - it seems that we've lost some of our customisations and I'm not sure if or when they will be back to normal, so please bear with us, as unfortunately they aren't the priority at the moment.

We have just had to renew our hosting, and have had to downgrade our package, partly due to lack of funds, and partly due to the fact we don't have the traffic that we used to, so don't need to be paying for the extra bandwidth that we were. Unfortunately this means that we also now have less on-site storage space for hosting members' photos, and we are now 1GB over our storage limit. We need to delete that 1GB before the next 24 hours or the board will go down again until we do.

The easiest way to go about this is to delete all photo attachments from 2010 back, and we have now deleted most of the 'Today's Photo' thread (I have left the last weeks' posts). Please feel free to continue the Today's Photo thread from the point we delete it, we know that it's a thread that many enjoy, but unfortunately with so many of the photos being attachments (therefore being hosted on our servers) they are adding to the storage burden. Even had we not changed packages it is likely we would have soon had to do a similar clearout.

Photos stored on other sites such as Photobucket and Flicker won't be affected, and this is why we strongly recommend that people use image hosting sites and then insert their photos to their posts that way rather than attaching them here. The managers and tech savvy members are always available for help if anyone has problems so please always ask if you are struggling.

For anyone who has a photo signature that they've uploaded onto the signature photo thread, please download and store it on your computer so it doesn't get lost. After we have done the clearout you can either re-upload it into that thread, or use a photo hosting service. I am personally going to try my best to go through that thread and save the signatures to Photobucket so if yours does go missing and you didn't get a chance to save it let me know and I'll see if it's one I've managed to save - no promises though because we are under such a tight deadline.

Any concerns or questions please feel free to ask. We are doing the best we can in between our own work, family etc, so bear with us.

It is entirely possible that the board may go down again temporarily while we are working on this.

Thanks for your patience, and especially thank you to WendyM who is working hard behind the scenes to keep us up and running, and is the only one who knows how to sort the technical side of this.

Wendy

11 March 2014 edit to add:
Attachment space is still at a premium in spite of removing a large number from the board, so any space that you can clear would still be appreciated, and if members could please try and find a site to host. There are several sites like Flikr, Imagur, Smugmug, Photobucket etc. I have just completed a detailed tutorial for the newest version of Photobucket here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15093

Any questions please ask. And if you have questions about the other sites please put them on the board and I'm sure members who use them will be able to assist.
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Re: URGENT INFO: Re Board Downtime, Hosting and Removing Pho

Postby Kirislin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:59 pm

would the problem be solved if we donated money? I did ages ago but I haven't given anymore since.
Kirislin
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby chelynnah » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:42 pm

The current problem no. We were getting close to our cap anyway. Even if we had kept the larger package we would have run into this in the not too distant future. Unfortunately going for the smaller package has messed with things, so we're having to make quick decisions. We would have had to do this deletion of photos either way, just this way there's a time crunch or the board goes down.

The other issue in the mix is that it's forced us to upgrade the board software (which is always a pain in the butt as we have so much customising), so it's all a bit stressy at the moment.

donations are always welcome. We don't want anyone to feel pressured into donating. I think we just lost track of time and the renewal came out of nowhere and caught us a bit short but had we realised earlier, we probably would have made this decision anyway, but there would have been more time for people to adjust, and to donate for the upcoming payment.

If people do want to donate I have put the thread back up, but don't feel you have to. The board isn't going anywhere, it may just take a few days to get back to where it should be.

chelynnah
WW Manager

Postby chelynnah » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:52 pm

LOSS OF BOARD FUNCTIONS

Currently there are no buttons for the following:

Edit

possibly more.

for the moment we cannot start new posts. If you wish to reply to a topic you can scroll to the bottom of the page and choose 'quick reply' and you can reply that way.

Wendy is doing as much as she can, but she's been doing it in between doing her 'real work' and I know is far behind where she needs to be with that, so it will probably be at least the weekend before we're back to normal. Don't give up on us. We are working on it as best we can

The Today's Photo thread has been altered, I have saved all the signatures that look like they have been saved on the board so they won't be gone completely - you'll just have to get in touch if you need them (or if I have time i will upload them to photobucket and try and put them back where they go).

Members can help by going into their Control Panel and choosing 'manage attachments' from the left menu and deleting any that aren't necessary. Some of these may be removed in the clearout, but it would be helpful. And make sure anything you've added as an attachment you also have saved on your own computer. We apologise if anyone has lost anything, but you should always keep a copy yourself of anything you post on the net.

thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Wendy

chelynnah
WW Manager

Postby Greypaws » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:57 am

Oh my, I'd never paid attention, looked & had almost 500 picture attachments & GIF files. I've deleted the whole bunch, so my folder is empty again. I hate photobucket, so am one of those horrible users that pull pix from my computer. Sorry ladies.....
Greypaws
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:21 am

Thanks Christel :) :handgestures-thumbup: :D

chelynnah
WW Manager

Postby chelynnah » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:38 am

Wendy M has given us back our original blue/purple skin as when she updated our software it didn't like some of the things we had changed in our other one and that's why we temporarily lost buttons and functions.

We should now have most of the important things like new posts and reply. Don't worry if anything's missing it will get sorted, but it might take a while so in the meantime we can still carry on.

Thanks!!

chelynnah
WW Manager

Postby CapaWhippets » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:07 am

Thank you for all of your hard work!

Once this process has been completed, is it possible for us to do some type of a WW fundraiser? I am happy to volunteer to help any way that I can.

Lisa Duffy & Chai
CapaWhippets
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 32936

Postby Richard 93 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:25 am

I think I have deleted the attachments I have posted every little helps or so it's said and thanks for all the hard work in the background management I'm sure it's appreciated by many
Image Image
Richard 93
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:15 am

Thanks so much. I promise to get an updated photobucket tutorial done as soon as possible. I know some really struggle with the idea of hosting sites but it really is pretty straightforward and most have tools within them to even resize or link your photos out at appropriate sizes for message boards without you having to get special software yourself.

Anyway, we really do appreciate everyone's patience and efforts

chelynnah
WW Manager

Postby Francarrich » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:23 am

I have started using Photobucket but when I resize my photos for the board it always crops them too, :angry-cussing: which is annoying as I've always "filled the frame" with my subject!

BanjoImageCarolImageRIP AidaImage

Francarrich
WW Supporter

Postby WhippyChick » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:43 am

Wow, I didn't realize I had so many photos!! All gone. Thank you for your hard work and keeping the board running. I would love to donate $.
Michelle
Zorro's Mom
WRAP Atlanta
WhippyChick
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:23 am

Carol I suspect the reason it crops is that you've locked or unlocked the aspect ratio. Look for a lock symbol on the resize page between the numbers. I can't remember which way round it's supposed to be so if it shows locked then unlock or vice versa. If done the right way round then it will keep the ratio meaning you only have to change one of the numbers and the other will automatically sort itself

Also there is a setting on photobucket where you can set the max size it links the photo at so no matter how big the file it will be right on the board. I still resize them though so I don't max out my photobucket space, but it's a good fallback. I will try and get all this updated in the next couple of weeks

Wendy

chelynnah
WW Manager

Postby eshumway » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:14 pm

Even I, not an active poster, had 30 attachments - all gone now. Thanks so much for your work on our behalf!

Elyse
eshumway
WW Member

Postby Janet and the Hounds » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:21 pm

Pics out except my signature.
Janet and the Hounds
WW Supporter

Postby LadyAudreysMom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:27 pm

I deleted all my attachments yesterday although there weren't many, but I hope every little bit helps. I had no Idea they were being stored in WW so this was a learning experience for me.
Thanks for all you two Wendys and the other managers do to keep WW on line for the rest of us.
Sheila
LadyAudreysMom
WW Member

Postby Stickdogs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:03 pm

I also removed all my pics. Thank you , thank you Wendy and Wendy J for all your hard work!! :bow-blue:

Kristal
Stickdogs
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 33688

Postby Jonesyszoo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:37 pm

Oh dear! I can find all my posts, but not the photos! I think I have 3 or possibly more.
I would be happy to delete these if someone can tell me how to find them.
I would also like to donate. It is this board that has helped me learn so much!
Thanks to all who keep it running! Kris
Jonesyszoo
WW Supporter

Next

Return to Whippet World Message Board