Dog Tracker

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Dog Tracker

Postby OregonLuca » Thu May 21, 2015 4:19 pm

I saw this online and it sounds like a neat idea for whippets. I know there have been many discussions here about the best GPS tracking devices and that they are large, expensive and fickle. It would be smart to enlist all the dog owners you know to have one because it works by crowd GPS (multiple cell phones tracking dog). You can put in your town name and see how many folks in your area have the app on their phone. The website shows them using it with dogs and cats. www.thetrackr.com
Just thought this was interesting!
Heather & Luca & Juno
OregonLuca
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Dog Tracker

Postby indogolfing » Fri May 22, 2015 1:44 am

I actually ordered two of these to put on my car keys. They are far too short range for dogs, only like 100 feet because they are bluetooth. But I've never received them yet, and apparently that's a big problem if you read all the comments. Probably they'd be ok for house cats, if you wanted to find out where they were, or even maybe outdoor cats if you could walk around until you got a signal. 100 feet is not very much at all. I know it says something about being able to locate them if someone else is using the app on their phone, but not sure there are very many people who would have the app.
indogolfing
WW Member

Postby jckajan » Sat May 23, 2015 12:29 pm

I thought about getting the Tagg. Pettracker.com
jckajan
WW Member

Postby indogolfing » Sun May 24, 2015 2:51 am

I've had tagg for a long time. They recently combined with whistle and offered upgraded taggs for a discount to people who had the old ones. I just got mine and they are slightly bigger. Also the price went up- when I first got mine it was $7.95 for the first dog, and .99 for each additional one. per month. Now, it's 6.95 for the first dog if you buy 2 years of service, and 3.95 for each additional one if you buy one year of service. That's quite a jump. I wasn't going to replace nona's. her's fell off in wyoming. no problem, right? it's a tracker- just track it. Two problems. Although wyoming looks covered on the coverage map, where I was it's not. No signal. While searching, my app on my phone quit working. Without the app, the things on the collar are useless. My phone never was able to open the app again. I could locate on my computer, once I got home, but the signal problems means the tracker is lost somewhere in wyoming. It made me think- what if that was my dog? So I'm using the marco polo on nona. Not as much range, but it does not rely on an app or monthly service charges. I'll continue to use the tagg on the other two. Something is better than nothing.
indogolfing
WW Member

Postby daiveel19 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:07 am

Hey,

Please suggest me is it possible or not, Can I track 2 dogs? do I need 1 set per dog or can I just get an extra tag for the 2nd dog.?
daiveel19
WW Member

Postby nic_skev » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:30 am

Hey, we have this POD tracker for our whippet and we've had to use it a few times when he's ran off chasing birds/squirrels/anything that moved :D

https://www.podtrackers.com/
nic_skev
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board