Extremely Rude Breeder

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Extremely Rude Breeder

Postby wendysr5 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:48 pm

I feel really disheartened after a very rude phone conversation with a breeder

I decided to start calling some breeders today, I was looking for a female whippet as a companion to my male puppy. I have owned whippets nearly all my life so I have no questions about what I'm getting myself into.

Anyway she seemed to have a rude tone throughout the conversation which only got worse as we talked. She was extremely condescending and kept scoffing at everything I said. She said that I can't keep a male and female together and that bitches are very difficult to live with... she also said that if I neuter my dog he will die because they have low tolerance to aesthetic....

By the end of the phone call she was telling me I was a long way off getting a puppy so good luck and goodbye....and just hung up the phone...

I'm feeling disheartened and sad that breeders think they have the right to treat people like rubbish. I feel like she judged me from the outset as potentially a bad dog owner. I whole heartedly love dogs and am very aware how much time they take up.

Also is it true that whippets will die under aesthetic? and are bitches much more difficult than Dogs?
wendysr5
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Extremely Rude Breeder

Postby chelynnah » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:57 pm

I am SO very sorry that that was your experience with this particular breeder. That is not what most people are like. I wonder if she was suspicious that you were wanting a bitch to breed to your dog and thought you were giving her a line, so was purposely trying to put you off. Even so, it's not right. I hope that your other experiences haven't been the same, and please don't let it put you off contacting other breeders.

Be prepared, breeders will grill you. They want to know that you understand what you're getting into. I would run away from a breeder who didn't have a million questions for me and just wanted the money. But there is a fine line.

Dogs and bitches, I wouldn't say one is any easier than the other. There are differences in personalities. Dogs more clingy and bitches more aloof, but those are generalities, and not all are the same. I prefer bitches myself. You can keep dogs and bitches together fine, you can also keep same sexes fine, unlike with other breeds.

Whippets don't react well to older types of anaesthetics, but they are rarely used any more. Most vets are aware of this, but have a word if/when you are having them put under for any procedure.

There are some great threads in the archives section on comparing dogs and bitches to live with, and also on whippets and anaesthetics, so have a browse and hopefully you'll find some answers there, as well as people answering you here.

Again, I'm sorry you came up against a rude breeder. There are rude people everywhere. Try not to let it affect you and move on in the hopes of finding someone nicer. Personally I wouldn't want a puppy from a person who treats people like that. I like to have a good relationship with my puppy buyers, and years later we are still in touch if they want to be. I don't want to be tied for the length of my dog's life to someone I don't like.
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby PAWhippets » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:13 pm

Yes to everything Wendy said. Some people may be good with dogs, but not so good with other people :( I'd agree, that breeder was not someone you'd want as an "in-law" (sort of how I look at our dogs' breeders), but they're not all like that! And no, Whippets will not die under anesthesia, and what they generally use today is much safer for sighthounds than what was used in the past; however, be aware that there is a lot of new and emerging information that indicates that it is better to spay and neuter later or, if possible, not at all, especially neutering. Just something to keep in mind.

We've only had one bitch and she was a "special needs" case so maybe not fair to judge (she was a sweet girl but more of a one-person dog), but I prefer the boys. They are sooooo sweet. Good luck!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby GrandmaB » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:26 pm

Everyone has a bad day, but this sounds beyond that. The breeder is atypical , so excuse her as drunk &/or disorganized and move on to someone with whom you feel comfortable. Thinking of breeders as in-laws is a great suggestion, and the vetting is going both ways in the initial interviews. Good luck and don't give up.
GrandmaB
WW Member

Postby Giorgio » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:28 am

She may have been very rude but the positive side is that she got you to do more research so that when you do get one you'll be better prepared.
Giorgio
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 1

Postby Kirislin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Just draw a line through her name, she sounds very entrenched in some of her beliefs and attitude. Give her the flick, and find someone you can have a proper conversation with.

I see you wrote this a while back, have you got a puppy yet?
Kirislin
WW Supporter

Postby WHIPPETSAREROYAL » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:46 pm

I am sorry for your experience with this breeder, and I believe if a breeder is rude don't buy his whippets. I think that if someone is rude to you he can't be a nice guy, so his whippets probably don't receive the best care.
WHIPPETSAREROYAL
WW Member

Postby ErnestMcGee » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:02 am

wendysr5 wrote:Also is it true that whippets will die under aesthetic? and are bitches much more difficult than Dogs?

I'm so sorry that you had such bad experience with a breeder. All the breeders that I've known are nice people. The answer to both of your questions is NO, if taken proper care.
ErnestMcGee
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board