Does my puppy get tired too fast?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Does my puppy get tired too fast?

Postby whippet_mom » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:47 am

Hello everybody!

I’m a first time whippet owner (and also a first time puppy owner), there’s one thing that I find concerning, mostly due to unfamiliarity with how puppies should act. My now 4 months old boy gets tired easily, for example when I take him to run around with other dogs in a park it takes him about 20 minutes of running and I could tell he’s visibly exhausted (running slower, loosing enthusiasm, laying down). Then we get home and ge sleeps for hours. He already runs fast and is enjoying it especially playing with other dogs, but my question is how soon is he supposed to get tired? I’ve heard a lot about puppies having endless amounts of energy and “never stopping” but with my guy it seems like a myth as with good exercise he gets pretty calm and sleepy for the rest of the day. When I don’t take him to run off-leash, he definitely has much more energy , but is it okay to get so tired when he does get to run? I’d really appreciate your answers, thank you.
Ohh, you must’ve mistaken us for dogs... We’re whippets! We do not sleep on the floor.
whippet_mom
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Does my puppy get tired too fast?

Postby MarciaInNM » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:31 am

Whippets are sprinters, unlike some retrieving breeds that are bred to run all day. My whippet pups have always interspersed playing hard with sleeping hard throughout the day.
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby PAWhippets » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Yes, agree with Marcia - if properly exercised, which isn't a whole lot of running, Whippets are then happy to lay around and be couch potatoes. It's one of the wonderful things about the breed :D

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby whippet_mom » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:26 am

Thank you for your replies, guys!
Ohh, you must’ve mistaken us for dogs... We’re whippets! We do not sleep on the floor.
whippet_mom
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Return to Whippet World Message Board