PLEASE GOD HELP! - Toilet Training

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

PLEASE GOD HELP! - Toilet Training

Postby victorefford » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:48 am

Hi there I'm new to the forum. I have recently got an adorable little whippet who has just reached 6 months old. We've had anightmare with his feed it seems his stomach will not allow anything other than chicken and rice grrr anyway thats sorted now. The trouble I'm having is he seems to just poo in his crate all the time overnight. He won't do it in the day but it's getting to that point where its almost nightly and I'm worried he'll associate it with that being a toilet.

Just to clarify -
His crate is correctly sized.
I feed his last meal at 6pm latest.
I'll walk him around 11 ish where he always seems to have 'emptied out'
I get him up at 7am
He usually asks to go out in the day.
Feed him 3 times a day around a tin and a half (he still acts like we haven't fed him for a month)

Logic would say he just can't hold it in for 8 hours but the trouble is sometimes he does and at 6 months i can't believe this is a problem? When he was younger I didn't have this problem and it seems to have just started in the last month or so? Do I need to start getting up at 5? Feed him less? If anyone has dealt with anything like this before please help!

Many Many thanks in advance
Victor
victorefford
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: PLEASE GOD HELP! - Toilet Training

Postby Stickdogs » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:03 am

Here are a few suggestions:

Get him checked by your vet just to rule out any health concerns.

Maybe try switching him to a dry kibble version of the can food you are feeding him? Feeding a premium quality dry food, will digest it better. Some would probably suggest going to a raw chicken and rice diet? (I don't feed raw so can't tell you much on that.)

At 6 months old, he can be fed twice a day instead of three times a day.

Clean his entire crate, inside and out, with a good enzyme cleaner. Not bleach or soap and water or any other type of smell-good-to-humans cleanser.

How often is pup in the crate? Most of the day and all night? Only at night? Sometimes during the day and all night? At 6 months old, you can begin trying to limit crate time.

Maybe keep the crate by your bed so your can hear him when he needs to go out during the night.

These are just a few suggestions. Maybe someone else can chime in. Remember to not punish pup when pup does go potty in his crate.

Kristal
Stickdogs
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 33688

Re: PLEASE GOD HELP! - Toilet Training

Postby chelynnah » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:20 pm

It's possible that with his gastrointestinal issues that he's a little behind where he should be, and may even have developed some habits because of it. If you've got all of those sorted out now, then I would restart the overnight training. Take him out at 11pm as normal. Then if you have an idea of when it is that he's soiling, set your alarm for a little earlier than that, take him out to potty, and then right back to bed. Over the next few weeks start making the time you take him out a little later every few days until you can hopefully get him to be clean reliably through the night.

As Kristal said, also invest in some really good canine/enzymatic cleaning products and clean everything so he has no smell to associate with. It might even be worth getting him a new crate, so he can build new associations.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Return to Whippet World Message Board