Whippet Skin vs Tree Branch

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Whippet Skin vs Tree Branch

Postby solosmom » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:41 pm

What can I do to protect my whippets' thin skins while they race through the woods short of having them wear K9 protective kevlar vests? Seriously, I could keep them in their coats - fleece, rainwear, winter padded - but is there any material which would cause them not to overheat?
solosmom
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Whippet Skin vs Tree Branch

Postby MarciaInNM » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Let me know when you find out! Sonny had an expensive weekend.
2018_04_16_154203.jpg
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby PAWhippets » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:26 pm

Oh, poor Sonny :( Hope he's healed soon. That's just part of life with Whippets.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby solosmom » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Oh dear! I know you all must have experienced this. This is our 4 year old Indy's first tree branch encounter but our almost 3 year Enzo has had at least four episodes. We're working with a whippet wear designer and we will let everybody know what we come up with. In the meantime, I would love to hear what other solutions may have worked for others.

Wishing Sonny a speedy recovery. In the meantime, Indy has undergone a second surgery to have necrotic tissue abraded and restitched. She has on a wet/dry bandage plus body stocking and if I had learned how to upload pictures, I would have shared the sorry sight.
solosmom
WW Member

Postby stf » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Maybe someone needs to invent a dog shirt / vest that helps prevent puncture / piercing / ripping / slashing wounds. Something that wicks and evaporates moisture like those high-tech tops for people... Our whippet's coat seems poured on, with the exception of the head/neck area.
stf
WW Member

Postby OregonLuca » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:24 pm

We've had one incident in need of stitches with our 4-year-old. They both wear fleeces in cool weather from Gold Paw Series. I'm thinking these sun shield t-shirts might work for protection in summer. Plus the added benefit of sun protection--especially for our mostly white girl.
https://www.goldpawseries.com/product/sun-shield-tee/
Heather & Luca & Juno
OregonLuca
WW Member

Postby MarciaInNM » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Poor Indy! That sounds awful.

Sonny is doing fine with just three stitches, but all of them get stitches at some point. My worst was Sonny's mom, Breezy. She yiped very loud when they were running around in the yard in the yard, and I found her bleeding out of a hole in her side. The vet told me it went in 4 inches, but luckily hit her ribs and stayed above them. She ended up with a drain and lots of stitches, and I can still feel the scars. Never did find what made the hole.

I have a spreadsheet for each of their medical expenses, but I never total it up! It's just for tracking.
Marcia
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Postby PAWhippets » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:48 am

A spreadsheet for medical expenses? Oh, I would never. I could, but I just wouldn't. Suffice it to say that I joke I've never had a pedicure, but couldn't begin to say what I've spent on our dogs' toes :lol: Charlie once came in from running on our property with a really gruesome wound - apparently he had gored himself through the groin with a stick (which clothing probably would not have prevented anyway). That one had stitches and a drain too.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Postby MarciaInNM » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:09 pm

The spreadsheet is good for keeping track of who got what done when and what it cost. Still waiting to be able to declare them as dependents. ;)
Marcia
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Postby PAWhippets » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:55 am

I've got a pretty good idea who had what done, roughly when, where and how much, but there's a level of not wanting/needing to know. That goes with knowing how much some titles really cost to attain, too :lol: Yeah, if only they could be dependents, right?

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Postby solosmom » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:15 pm

When Indy was 8 months old she got a bad case of giardia which led to complications requiring hospitalization. The bill was in the thousands. The vet suggested insurance and although we were already out quite a bit of money, we signed up and are we SO glad that we did! Between the two of my very active pups, that insurance is saving us a lot. Highly recommend.
solosmom
WW Member

Postby GrandmaB » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:26 pm

The second time I took my tree torn young whippet to the University Vet school ER, the staff checked our records and looked at me as if I were obviously a negligent pet parent (or maybe in was my own guilt). The vet in training made me feel much better when she said, "Whippet....again???"
GrandmaB
WW Member

Postby solosmom » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:59 am

I should amend the title of this post. The vet ran a culture on the wound as the sutured skin was turning necrotic and she found the bacteria serratia marcescens. Another injured whippet had just come into the practice recently. That whippet had been bitten by an unruly dog and had been found to have the same bacteria. As we hadn't actually seen what had torn Indy's back (she had run into a stand of trees and came back to us injured) and the wound was consistent with a 'poke and pull' as the vet described it, we had assumed it to be a tree branch. Seems this was a case of Whippet Skin vs. possible Coyote or unruly dog's tooth or claw! Whatever happened, some kind of protective gear would have at least somewhat minimized the damage.

We also use Gold Paw fleeces in cooler weather. In fact, when we first got Enzo and our two were just running together side by side, we later found the similar poke and pull 'v-shaped' tear in Enzo"s fleece where Indy's tooth must have caught - we dodged a bullet with that incident!
solosmom
WW Member

Postby solosmom » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:03 pm

OregonLuca wrote:We've had one incident in need of stitches with our 4-year-old. They both wear fleeces in cool weather from Gold Paw Series. I'm thinking these sun shield t-shirts might work for protection in summer. Plus the added benefit of sun protection--especially for our mostly white girl.
https://www.goldpawseries.com/product/sun-shield-tee/

Thank you for the suggestion of the Tees. They are the perfect cover up for Indy while her stitches are still in but the dressings have been removed. One more week before the stitches come out so these Tees will be put to constant use. The only problem we have had with them is that while they look great, the stitching came away from the edges and I am working with Gold Paw on a solution. The Tees will also serve somewhat as protection against gashes and slashes as they race about and the weight is perfect.
solosmom
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Tue May 01, 2018 11:50 am

In the meantime...two days ago, Weaver came in from being out on our property (and fence-fighting with the neighbor's German Shepherd :( ) with what we first thought was mud on top of his head, but quickly discovered was a gash that was just a little too large to treat at home. Sunday afternoon - off to the E-Vet we went, and currently he is sporting a few staples and a lovely cone of shame.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Postby solosmom » Tue May 01, 2018 5:50 pm

How do you get the cones to stay on? We have not been able to manage that so we have resorted to the boobooloon which works really well. But Weaver surely couldn't get to the staples on top of his head? I know Whippets are pretty good contortionists but ..... ?

https://www.kongcushion.com/

I guess Kong bought boobooloon recently.
solosmom
WW Member

Postby MarciaInNM » Wed May 02, 2018 2:46 am

When the skin starts healing and feels itchy around the stitches, some dogs use their paws/claws to mess with them. Hopefully Weaver is healed up soon!

Sonny had to wear a cone after his recent owie, because one of his stitches was licked out. Either he's extremely flexible, or he had help from his mom, Breezy, who was kenneled with him.

Resized_20180419_173818_6108.jpeg

I attached the cone to a snugly fitted buckle collar. It stayed on, even though he wasn't very happy about it. You can run a collar that has a cloth end (not plastic buckles) through some cones.

Sonny found he could play fetch wearing it and battered the cone, ramming his way in and out a dog door. He looked like such a dork bobbing around in the cone, but the rest of the stitches stayed in and he's healing up nicely.
Marcia
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Postby PAWhippets » Wed May 02, 2018 11:57 am

Hmmm, that inflatable one is interesting. The cone stays on, although not exactly where we'd like it to because of the shape of the beasts that we love so much :) , but we are sure that without it Weaver would probably manage to use a foot to scratch the top of his head and possible dislodge the staples. We have already had to replace one cone that he busted, ramming in and out the dog door (he was doing it pretty reasonably, until he heard the neighbor's dog and went charging out there, sigh). For most injuries we much prefer to have the dog wear a muzzle vs. using a cone, but that wasn't going to work for this one.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Next

Return to Whippet World Message Board