The leg poses / ear poses / prancing / galloping

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

The leg poses / ear poses / prancing / galloping

Postby stf » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:56 pm

Question: is the posing with the front feet, say one leg bent at elbow inward on ground while sitting, or one leg up off the ground and bent downward when intensely gazing and motionless unique to Whippets?

Between the gesturing when stretching, or this stuff with the leg, or the posing with the ears... My my.

How about the different cadence when walking (prance like a horse) or running (gallop like a horse) it's all really quite charming. Very "showy". :romance-inlove:
stf
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: The leg poses / ear poses / prancing / galloping

Postby PAWhippets » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:51 am

Those things you describe all seem very "Whippety" indeed, but then again, since we never have owned any other breed (honestly can't imagine any reason to!), I guess I can't really answer that!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby stf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Lois, many of the things we see that are "Whippety" were also done by our late greyhound/golden-retriever mix (she was evidently more greyhound than retriever). I wonder if they are particular to sitehounds.

I do find our whippet to be very expressive, including the head cocking, the tail parking and un-parking, also the paw folding (sometimes leg across leg, sometimes paws inward like she was playing cards.

This is great too - our greyhound used to follow me around the house and be extremely inquisitive about all things involving tools and home repair. This whippet... she does that too. I wonder how this breed compares on the "intelligence" scale.
stf
WW Member

Postby Septembergirl » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:40 pm

stf wrote:I wonder how this breed compares on the "intelligence" scale.

Average -- 51 out of 79 -- according to this: http://petrix.com/dogint/intelligence.html

Of course, your mileage may vary. :)
Fran, Ember, and Forest
Septembergirl
WW Supporter

Postby PAWhippets » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:51 am

Septembergirl wrote:
stf wrote:I wonder how this breed compares on the "intelligence" scale.

Average -- 51 out of 79 -- according to this: http://petrix.com/dogint/intelligence.html

Of course, your mileage may vary. :)

Yes, Whippets and sighthounds in general always seem to get rather modest, or worse, ratings on canine intelligence scales, but then, it all depends on how you define "intelligence", doesn't it? Those scales seem to highly rate breeds that are easily trained to work with people (whose purpose it is to do so), and, well, we all know that is not a hound's mission in life - but most of us have also found, in living with Whippets, that they are far from stupid!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby stf » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Lois,
I'd have to agree - you summarized your answer well in the last sentence.

I find for example along the emotional/social dimension, Bunny is very perceptive, and very loving with all our members of the family. And in particular, she took to her older sister (10yr Lab) very very well.

Our late greyhound was an excellent unofficial therapy animal to my wife's late husband. I can see where she could be also.

With a modest amount of training (mostly for me - ha ha), she's been taught sit, down, stay, and we are working on "leave it". I admit, I'm the student. She could probably be taught to be a good pointer. Obviously their heritage involves successful hunting for small game.

Would she be a good police dog? No probably not. But since, intelligence is a multi-dimensional thing, that ranking doesn't really resonate with me.
stf
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:58 pm

I'm not sure their intelligence can be measured in any conventional way. I have to say whippets are definitely clever. They are problem solvers. I've watched their little brains work to figure out how to do something they want. And that's the key - they have to want to do it. They're not good at repetitive training - our happiness isn't enough reward like it is for other breeds. Once they can do something, if the reward isn't good enough, they're like - 'yeah, you know I can do it so why do I need to do it again?' But I had a puppy figure out how to get through the back of open backed stairs (making the baby gate useless). One worked on how to get the outside gate open for 3 days (a workman had left it unlatched and we hadn't noticed - it also opened inward so should have been impossible to open). Apparently she kept bopping it till it bounced wide enough to get through and she took herself for a walk across to the fields. According to the neighbour she followed the sidewalk the whole way LOL.

My most recent pup was trying to jump up into a top crate from an ottoman with a toy in her mouth. I watched her try this over a couple of days. Every time the toy would catch on the crate edge and fall, so she'd have to reach down and get it or cry till someone put it in. By the end of the next day I saw her about to jump in, stop, think, then she put the toy inside the crate, patted it down with her muzzle, and then jumped in the crate. She then picked up the toy and settle in to chew it. Problem solvers!
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby GrandmaB » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:07 pm

All of which reminds me of the video of the lurcher in England https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXpjX4l0hRg
GrandmaB
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board