AWC Whippet National!

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

AWC Whippet National!

Postby PAWhippets » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:34 pm

Looking forward to a visit to the American Whippet Club National, starting Saturday. Very disappointed that our only lure courser, who is a little dynamo, has come up lame and won't be participating in the field trials :cry: , but we'll still be there hanging out and helping where we can and watching ALL those Whippets (should be close to 80 Saturday and almost twice that Sunday if not too many others have pulled!). Monday is the International Congress, with all kinds of interesting presentations by experts on various topics. Then Tuesday our little monsters (hopefully both, if the lame one is sound enough) will be in the Obedience and Rally rings. Wednesday one of them will have heart testing, and then we'll be done. Nothing like being at the National - it's amazing to see so many beautiful Whippets everywhere you look!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Re: AWC Whippet National!

Postby PAWhippets » Thu May 10, 2018 11:48 am

So quiet here :x We had a great time at the National! The field trials were huge and wonderful (although the 4 dogs that were with us and did not get to run did not seem to share our enthusiasm :( ). The International Congress was amazing, all kinds of interesting stuff there. And our little guys did us proud - both qualified and got placements in Rally, and then both also qualified in Obedience! And, last but not least, we got a great report on the heart test :D Don't know when we'll get to the National again, but it's a great experience!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Postby MarciaInNM » Sat May 12, 2018 2:31 pm

It sounds like it was great! Do you know where next year's National will be held?
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby stf » Sat May 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Can you explain the terms you are using?
Our 1/2 Greyhound 1/2 Golden Retriever did Lure Coursing.

What is Rally? Obedience? Heart test?
Thanks,
Sam
stf
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby PAWhippets » Sun May 13, 2018 9:12 pm

Marcia, next year is Topeka, KS. Sam, Rally and Obedience are AKC companion events (other registries offer them also) in which the dogs and handlers demonstrate how the dogs obey commands, but it's much more than that. If you look on YouTube, I'm sure you can find some examples. And at the National they offer health testing for some conditions that are important to screen for in the breed. Ion had a cardiac echo exam and was given a good/normal result, which is important if we would ever want to use him for breeding (he has also had his eyes and hearing checked).

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Postby MarciaInNM » Mon May 14, 2018 12:10 am

Thanks! That's about in the middle of the country, so I might be able to go. I was planning to go to the Denver one, but parental health disasters had happened, and it just wasn't possible.

At previous Nationals I've had BAER tests done for hearing, eye exams, and my two girls got doppler radar echocardiograms to make sure their hearts were good. They offered myostatin deficiency tests at the Atlanta specialty, so Captain and Breezy got that whippet specific test.

The American Whippet club usually gives reduced costs for tests if you are willing to make the results public, and once I won a raffle item of half off the heart test, which was great!
Marcia
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Postby stf » Wed May 16, 2018 5:52 pm

Lois, Marcia - I didn't know specialized exams were provided at events. :confusion-helpsos:

OK, I get it now. BTW, the echo or echo-cardiogram doesn't use radar. That would end up frying your furry friend. It's ultrasonic, and there is a Doppler mode that can look for changes in velocities of the blood flow and color it, so doctors can easily see problems with valves or plaque or other issues resulting in eddies or non-laminar flow. (sorry - I couldn't help myself). :violence-duel:

The Whippet breed isn't known for having a high incidence of heart issues is it? :animals-dogrun:

I will look at YouTube videos of these events. I wish I could tell our Bunny to be obedient and leave my wife's shoes alone! :crying-yellow:
stf
WW Member

Postby MarciaInNM » Wed May 16, 2018 6:34 pm

Thanks for the explanation of the terminology!

Here's some info on whippet health:

http://www.whippethealth.org/
Marcia
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Postby Stickdogs » Wed May 16, 2018 8:24 pm

Congrats Lois on your pups doing good at the Nationals! :clap: Sounds like you had fun!
I'm hoping, planning, thinking of, gonna try to go next year as it will be relatively close.

Kristal
Stickdogs
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 33688

Postby PAWhippets » Thu May 17, 2018 11:45 am

Sam, there are some heart issues in Whippets - enough that responsible breeding requires screening any dog being considered for breeding to ensure that he or she does not have any problems (with the understanding that there are still no guarantees, and things can happen). The same goes for eyes. But they are still, overall, a very healthy breed, and good breeders are working to keep it that way!

The Doppler echo is very cool to see, and at the International Congress they gave a very interesting presentation about the heart studies that have been done and are still being done, with examples of what normal and abnormal echos look like.

Oh, Kristal, I hope you can make it next year! I had planned and been training for a long time for this one. Next year seems pretty far for us (although not totally out of the question), but it's in Ohio the following year and that is not really too far for us.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Postby stf » Thu May 17, 2018 1:43 pm

Lois, Marcia.
I really didn't know heart or eye issues were of general concern to dog owners. My wife has been the one to worry about those things... I wanted to make sure you both knew I wasn't being flippant about the question, and I'm pretty sure you realized that. However, when I first heard mention of heart test, what came to my mind was akin to some sort of "spirit" test, some kind of competition because you had mentioned it along with the two competitions. Silly me.

Yes, Dopplar for echos is pretty old technology. I once interviewed with a company making a great dopplar-enabled ultrasound machine back in 1982... Colorization was the thing.

There is some crazy good stuff now. I work for GE, but not in their HealthCare Engineering team. There's a clip running in the background on this YouTube video of a mitral-valve opening and closing which is pretty neat in terms of visualization.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JzI_Mt ... e=youtu.be

Anyway - thanks for fielding a naive question and answering it seriously.
stf
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Sat May 19, 2018 11:13 am

Sam, nothing wrong with newbie questions, that's how we all learn! That was actually an interesting thought you had about a "heart" test - most Whippets have plenty of that! :)

Very cool video link with the mitral valve. Sounds like you might be an Engineering type? My husband is.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Postby stf » Mon May 21, 2018 9:49 pm

Lois, I am an engineer.
One of the things I like particularly about our whippet is her proportions. Our 1/2 greyhound 1/2 golden retriever was a beautiful dog as well, but there is something about this breed that really appeals to me. Our mix-breed did not look anorexic like some greyhounds can, and neither does our whippet. Everything seems related to form and function. Nothing gratuitous, nothing wasted.
stf
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board