Too Soon?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Too Soon?

Postby pickles » Thu May 31, 2018 2:49 am

I have a 5 month old whippet boy, he is very well behaved and out going. my partner and i have come across a12 week old whippet girl that needs a home and we are thinking about taking her so our boy has a companion. It breaks my heart leaving him when we go to work or social events. we live in a unit with a smallish back yard and i walk our boy at the dog park every morning. is it to soon to get another pup and is a unit to small for two?
pickles
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Too Soon?

Postby chelynnah » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:05 pm

I think that's a question only you can answer for yourself and also have a long chat with the breeder of the pup you're looking at to see how they feel. I personally don't recommend two same age puppies, but a difference of a few months isn't necessarily bad. It also depends on your own experience with puppies.

Are you prepared for double trouble? Two phsycho whippet puppies tearing through the house, getting into stuff, and needing to puppy proof?

I would definitely recommend if you do it, to continue training them separately - take them out to separate classes or events so that they each have one on one time with you as well as together. I kept two puppies from the same litter and worked hard so that they didn't become too accustomed to being together. They were hard work. I'm not sure I would do it again. But as I said, with a few months separating them it could be different. Your boy will now be bonded to you rather than bonded to a sibling.

Anyway, hopefully you'll get more advice, but talk it through with the breeder of the new pup and see if they're confortable with the idea.
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby PAWhippets » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:58 am

I think Wendy hit all the key points. As she said, properly training and socializing two puppies is a lot for most people, and before deciding, do some research on littermate syndrome (it does not just apply to littermates). Also, while probably most Whippets get along, some don't, and I would honestly say most of ours have tolerated rather than adored each other. Good luck with your decision.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby Heather » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:06 am

PAWhippets wrote:I think Wendy hit all the key points. As she said, properly training and socializing two puppies is a lot for most people, and before deciding, do some research on littermate syndrome (it does not just apply to littermates). Also, while probably most Whippets get along, some don't, and I would honestly say most of ours have tolerated rather than adored each other. Good luck with your decision.

Lois

Took the words right out of my mouth as I was reading this Lois, you and Wendy hit in on the head and I lived the challenge that is littermate syndrome. I never knew about this, adopted two littermate sisters from a rescue... and when I tell you it's kinda hell.... it's kinda hell. It's a LOT of kinda hell too. Not to mention, two puppies means two seniors headed for their last days within a short timeframe of each other. SO much pain on so many levels. The training two puppies was not a huge deal for me, even the destruction.... but the littermate syndrome is unbelievably difficult and so is loosing them within a few months of each other. I will never have two puppies again.
Heather
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Return to Whippet World Message Board