Question about Whippet growth....

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Question about Whippet growth....

Postby uhohcheckers » Mon May 28, 2018 10:28 pm

My whippet is 18.5" tall at the shoulder...she's turning 2 in August of this year and she still hasn't filled out that much? Her body is just shorter than most whippets' I've seen. Does filling out mostly take place after they reach their full height?
uhohcheckers
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Question about Whippet growth....

Postby chelynnah » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. I've actually split your post off from the topic you posted on as it was an extremely old topic and your post may have been missed.

At almost two she should be pretty much done growing. Maybe a tiny bit of filling out if she's intact and is due a season. I did have one who filled out a bit with each of her seasons until she was 5. She should have reached her full height and length at her current age. There are some whippets who are a little shorter in either height or length. To be honest 18.5 inches tall is perfect for the UK standard for a female, but we are creeping up in size. I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure she's lovely. Personally I love the 'pocket-rockets' :romance-inlove:
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Re: Question about Whippet growth....

Postby MarciaInNM » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:09 am

My girls have stopped growing taller sooner than the boys, and all of them were done growing taller by two. My girl pup who turned two in April did fill out more during her season that same month. Her mother got her 18.5 inch height by a year old and never grew any taller. She's a perfect lap size girl, and finished filling out sooner than her daughter, who is a half inch taller.
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Return to Whippet World Message Board