Dog and Owner Training

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Dog and Owner Training

Postby GibsonOwner » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:04 pm

My dog is coming along but his owner is behind on learning. Hours of ytube videos on reward training is working. When it doesn't work I think of someone saying roll up newspaper and wack yourself on the head. Humor gets you by. He is almost 4 months and has learned to go outside with rewards. He will walk down the sidewalk with chicken but still distracted. Even chicken won't work sometimes and what is better than that to a whippet? Crate training has been tough. Can't close the door without crying for up to an hour. Using a indoor pen that helps his boundaries. He will go in and out and take naps in there open and calm down closed up. We have not tried to both leave the house yet. He caught his mouth in the pen and was in panic. I was there and just turned his head to release. So I don't know what can happen if we leave. At 2 months in our home he is doing pretty good.

Not sure if Gibson will go to training classes or see how it goes myself. Anyone like the Petco puppy class?

Lenny
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Dog and Owner Training

Postby solosmom » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:45 pm

We did not have a good experience at the puppy class for my Whippet, Indy (then 3 months) at Petco. The trainer thought Indy was 'too rough' and wanted her leashed during the end of class 'puppy play' which completely defeated the purpose of socialization. After another failed 'class' we found a trainer who worked solely on Indy's recall which remains GREAT to this day (Indy is now 4 years old). Our answer to socialization was to find other Whippets in our area and eventually her very own live in companion, Enzo. Indy and Enzo are the best of friends and still do best with other Whippets.
We also have the BEST Whippet sitter and she (and her two GREAT Whippets) reinforce good behavior and training for our Whippets and for us!
solosmom
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Our dog was biting a lot at first and is fading over the last 4 weeks. At 3 mo's he was nipping and tearing skin on us and is still biting my wife more than me. He must be trying to dominate her. He started biting softer as it went on me. I don't think a class would have worked either. So far so good here at home. The distraction level for whippets must be harder than other dogs to train. At some point they just make up their mind to be good. They learn right and wrong just fine. They ask why each time.

The Petco has good reviews for this store. Think I will wait for now. There is a lot of comments on training methods as you watch videos how to __. Don't need to start that here just want whippet owners to reply not offend trainers.
Thanks,
Lenny
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:34 pm

What was the method for Indy to learn recall? I need to spend some time on that.
Thanks,
Lenny
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby Popsicle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:37 pm

HI Lenny
Poppy was way to excited for Puppy Class. We are in the UK and tried two different classes, the first trainers didn't get her at all, dogs marching around practising walking to heel was to stimulating for her so they asked me to yank the lead to keep her in check. We quickly exited that form of training. I tried another class and the trainer constructed a tent around her, bless her, she did try to block her view of the class but I think she underestimated Poppy's sense of smell and hearing! Poppy was so overstimulated after this class she has a upset tummy and zoomies like you would never believe. We gave up puppy classes and gave it a go alone.
Poppy at 4 months was a nightmare, I think it's worse because you get glimmers of hope when you think you are getting through the Whippet madness, then it all goes wrong again! If it's any help, as much as you feeling like screaming and shouting, don't. Even if Poppy has been driving me crazy I still command her in the soft 'good girl' voice, she loves her treats but the good girl voice gets her everytime.
Good luck :D
Popsicle
WW Member

Postby solosmom » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:15 pm

GibsonOwner wrote:What was the method for Indy to learn recall? I need to spend some time on that.
Thanks,
Lenny

Indy's trainer leashed her with a 20 ft leash and we went to a not too busy part of a local dog park. She would let Indy wander a few feet away from her (I was keeping a close eye on the other dogs! and then would suddenly back away from Indy pulling Indy gently towards her on the leash and calling 'Indy' in a loud excited voice. That would get Indy's attention and she would come running and get a very high value treat - usually cooked chicken breast, which she loves. Our trainer taught us that it is mostly difficult to get your dog's attention when she has other distractions, hence going to the dog park for the training. We did this in two separate one hour sessions. Indy was top of her class in recall at the third puppy class we attended and Indy completed with honors. The trainer there was familiar with Whippets which also helped Indy's success. I got so good at imitating the trainer's call for Indy that by the time Indy's recall was reliable, everybody at the park knew Indy and how fast she could get back to me!
solosmom
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:51 pm

Thanks for explaining the way it was done. I have seen that and have a long training lease to use. Yes this is a chicken application for Gibson too.
Another way a class was training was inside with one holding the dog as the owner ran away then rewarding them. Trainers don't agree and have their own way.
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby dcflutist » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:14 am

I recommend local AKC obedience clubs over a Petco Class. They offer puppy/beginner obedience classes and they are run by people in the club, which I have found almost always makes them cheaper than classes run by stores. Find one near you here: http://webapps.akc.org/obedience-training-club/#/
dcflutist
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 52834

Postby GibsonOwner » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:32 pm

That is good advice. Clearwater, Fl. has classes every day for something of all levels. AKC STAR puppy class is 78 bucks for 7 weeks for an hour each.
The pet stores are about 120 for 6 weeks. There must be some great knowledge in the club with the choices of training. That looks far more reputable than the pet stores. Est 1964 on the site.

My only negative is that might be an hour in traffic at 6:00 Pm for me. Next class is August.
Thanks for the info that would be my choice.
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby stf » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:33 pm

My feeling is that it's very important to select a trainer that has the predicate knowledge, background, skills and disposition to be working with dogs.

My wife remembers taking a dog to a training class with her late-husband, where the "trainer" picked up one of the animals by the ears on the first session. Needless to say, they immediately left, and never went back. :doh:

In the North-metro Atlanta area, we've benefitted with a beginner's class offered by trainer: Alex Sessa.
https://peachonaleash.com/about/

I'm not personally trying to endorse her and her team (you don't live in the area anyway), but merely suggest you find someone with those sorts of credentials. Sounds like you probably have many good options in your area. Her team came strongly recommended by our vet as to whom many of their clients liked. And we had heard from other owners about success with POAL. Talking and listening to other owners can be helpful.

Personally, I knew practically nothing to start with, and my wife came to support me and get a good laugh when I was obviously doing something wrong. But, even in a class with many different kinds of dogs (I want to say our class size was maybe 5 dogs), everyone got a good amount of individualized attention. Bunny learned how to walk beside me and change direction when necessary, to sit, to stay, and other verbals like down, and up, which we know for a Whippet (and untrained owner-me), was quite an accomplishment.

In the end, it wasn't so much about what our Bunny learned, but what I had learned, and the better bond that developed between us. :romance-inlove:
stf
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:04 pm

I checked the link and that is some career Alex Sessa has going. I have been a dog owner most of my life and never took time to learn dog training. Things worked out and I learned from mistakes for sure. If you frighten a whippet he may not forget. They know words really well even the bad ones. I tried a couple of things with Gibson and the method worked so at first you think I got this. It would not be the first time I look back and didn't know what I was doing. Like your last sentence. It would seem best for me to train for the bonding. He is bonding already and affectionate. We are already trying to see who he likes best.
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby stf » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:23 pm

They know words really well even the bad ones. Oh no! :pray:

Got back from church service with my wife today to discover our whippet chewed my electronic corporate ID/badge. I think I let a few of those words fly... :angry-cussing: It's a bit easier for me to get a new pair of shoes for the wife than it is to get another ID. :angry-banghead:

Maybe the half eaten card will still register. I do love my dog, just not some of her choices of chew toys. :angry-devil:
stf
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:13 pm

I would agree about trying to find a dog training club for classes, if possible, over something like a pet supply store. Not everyone "gets" sighthounds, and you have better odds of finding an experienced trainer, and one who is able to think outside the box, at a training club. The ones at the club I belong to are excellent, and some of them are also obedience judges. Of course, as others have noted, it is just as much (and probably more) about training the owner!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby chelynnah » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:01 am

I would recommend finding a good proper training class and going. Even as many dogs as I had, I skipped training classes for one due to bad back issues, and just taught her on my own, but because she missed out on the training with other dogs at a young age (even though we do dog shows) she became very reserved around other dogs and a time bit reactive. We managed to work through it, but it was tough. I’ve never missed puppy classes again. And I advise my puppy buyers to get them into one as soon as possible.

I don’t recommend store ones. It’s too much of a free for all and no structure. You want a proper class with a well trained trainer who uses positive reinforcement.

Overall it sounds like you’re doing well.
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby chelynnah » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:07 am

GibsonOwner wrote:Our dog was biting a lot at first and is fading over the last 4 weeks. At 3 mo's he was nipping and tearing skin on us and is still biting my wife more than me. He must be trying to dominate her. He started biting softer as it went on me. I don't think a class would have worked either. So far so good here at home. The distraction level for whippets must be harder than other dogs to train. At some point they just make up their mind to be good. They learn right and wrong just fine. They ask why each time.

The Petco has good reviews for this store. Think I will wait for now. There is a lot of comments on training methods as you watch videos how to __. Don't need to start that here just want whippet owners to reply not offend trainers.
Thanks,
Lenny

Whippets don’t try to dominate their owners. They are not a dominant breed. They DO however test their limits. Your wife needs to me more forceful with her NO or OUCH and taking herself away from the pup or removing pup from her area for a small time out. They are very mouthy with their teeth during growing and teething. It should be over soon.

Say No or Ouch. Remove yourself and replace with an appropriate chew toy. If it’s wild biting then just remove yourself from the room for a minute so they learn that doesn’t get attention and then come back and offer gentle play once calmer,
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby GibsonOwner » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:13 pm

Another owner mistake is I don't always say ouch. Yes it does work saying ouch loud and he lets go. No doubt he is testing everything in his new world with his mouth. He was trying to eat anything out in the yard from bark, rocks to ants. Yes to give him his toys when biting lets him know. Play with this.

Negative training is part of his learning. I had been trying to avoid putting him in his crate for bad behavior. Or even raising my voice when you keep calling and he does not come or tell him to stop something. For now no, off and ouch are in the negative words. He hears them without yelling but does not respond every time. You need to avoid repeating words like saying treat till he comes. I can't repeat no or say it louder till it works.

Reward training has taught him house training. He goes to the door and cries. When he goes out and does something I use treat to mark a reward. He comes right back for a kibble and then follows me back to the door to get another inside. Also been able to draw him away from his droppings. Can't claim 100% house trained yet but at 4 mos good. Used treats on the leash with good results and can trim his nails with chicken. Used treats at the vets office and went well.

Gibson's report card looks good at this point. Like all the topics these dogs are all different and training is too. Guess I should ask how am I doing learning this?
Thanks
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:02 pm

I found training videos from Michael Ellis from Leerburg.com on ytube to be the best to explain all the terms. Reward, negative or aversive responses for the dog to learn. Like it hurts to bite and we don't play. He seems to make more sense about when to use each and bad effects of mistakes. I see a lot of common methods about biting, using a leash or calling. All of those work with rewards in a way. There is also underlying opinion some hit or scream and punish our dogs to teach them. I don't see why I need an electric collar but understand the use. Who doesn't agree to use as much positive response as you can. Then control of the moment is first when he has to stop what he is doing with strong correction. A sort of new school - old school kind of outlook is found in trainers. No negative training. Applies to whippets well but not always. Anyone been down this path how to be well centered?

It's working this morning he grabbed a newspaper page and ran. He had been playing keep away or shredding it before you can get it but he surrendered it saying no. (No yelling) He heard and responded.
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby cathyj » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:19 pm

I really think you might be expecting too much from a puppy. If you think about it - a puppy that is with his siblings and mother will be trained by the mother other older dogs if they get out of line. Young whippets need a lot of exercise and patience is the key. Short training sessions with rewards will work best. I have had three whippets and each one was a bit different. I took the oldest to the dog training club, second one I trained and the third. The other comment I will make is in regard to recall. Whippets should never be let off leash in areas that are not fenced. They are sight hounds and although they are pretty bright they are not the smartest breed. I am sure there are some that have never disobeyed but being hit by a car is the number one cause of death. Just saying...sorry if I sound like a know it all. I am not and learned most of what I know from this board and my breeder.
cathyj
WW Member

Next

Return to Whippet World Message Board