Dog and Owner Training

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Re: Dog and Owner Training

Postby Heather » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:55 am

I totally agree with the great advice about finding a trainer in your area that is well accredited versus the pet store training "classes". I know first hand, let's say the screening process for trainers of such classes is less than rigorous. I also agree with the comments about never having them off leash unless fenced in or somehow secured. I always read this but was a bit egotistical I suppose, thinking the recall I had with MY Whippets was stronger, or they're not like other Whippets, etc. For years and years we hiked with them off leash but on a heal and they always came back to us when allowed to run in meadows. Then one day we suddenly came up on a moose... which spooked, took off.... trailed by my perfect little well-trained angels who had just discovered something much more fun to do than to listen to me. The only reason this story doesn't end in disaster?
An emergency "STOP!" command caught the attention of our Cardigan Corgi (who always was so hilariously far behind them when they all ran by the way)... and when he turned around thank God they followed him. It's just not worth it.
Heather
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby GibsonOwner » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:08 pm

(I really think you might be expecting too much from a puppy. If you think about it - a puppy that is with his siblings and mother will be trained by the mother other older dogs if they get out of line. Young whippets need a lot of exercise and patience is the key.)

Thanks Cathy, He is just 4 mos and I am happy about what he has learned so far. Much better than dogs in my past where I didn't do these things. I see this taking patience and time over years. I need the good habits I didn't have before. This feedback has been great.
I am probably just over-thinking this. As well put by others the ideas are not hard the execution is another thing.

I had a huge change here not having a puppy for years. We moved here a couple years ago with an acre and no fence with our older whippet and greyhound. I fenced in our back yard area for the puppy. He got a tick so I put 2ft garden fence blocking all the wooded area and bushes. Fence inside fence. I used a coil leash at first in the yard but he got bad habits pulling out line so I went to rewards with him free (in fence) to go. I am teaching him on the leash separately. Our last whippet never had a leash on but at the vets. It also takes a lot for me to trust a whippet like we all know. Leo would stop a chase with no. Really every time. I know come on he was a whippet? 1 out of my last 5. 2 others would lay in the front yard and stay. 1 would leave at any chance. 1st one dug under fence from storms.

Gibson did get out of the gate and the reward calling work in the back yard got him to come. He didn't feel like he just broke out free but acted the same as in the fence.
Lenny
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby solosmom » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:57 pm

I say that Indy has GREAT RECALL but I still NEVER let her off leash in non-fenced areas or where she could get anywhere near a road or parking lot. I still leash both my dogs before we exit the car even to cross the sidewalk to get into the house! Just not worth the risk.
solosmom
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:28 pm

The potty bell or go out bell.
This is in other topics and not new to the list so I searched the past comments. I just wanted to add this in my post training a puppy. I am really happy to see this work and should be on everyones list with a new puppy. This is very useful and gave me satisfaction connecting with him. Don't we all want to think we have a smart dog anyway. Already noted you need to have trained where he should go first. He did well with that. Then he would stand at the door and look or whimper. You had to watch and wonder if thats what he wants but not now. A couple of times he whimpered and when it didn't work he rang the bell on his own. It will take more I know but it works easier that I thought. Oh yeah I need to sort out false alarms but have to go when it rings.

I still have a list to work on and may never train him to roll over. This is far better on priorities.

Lenny
Attachments
IMG_1264.jpg
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:44 pm

The bell is awesome. Our new pup watched one of our others do it and picked it up the second day she was home with us. They don't do it all the time, just when they really need our attention. And our older ones don't do it much. It was our two youngest (now almost 6) that learned it when they were young. The oldies couldn't be bothered.

I like your bell! Mine are just hanging ones from the door.
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby GibsonOwner » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:56 pm

Wendy,
That was good old ebay for 10 bucks delivered. I thought my pup would chew up the bells that hang. Ours is all metal so far he has not chewed it.
Did you see my wifes glasses? He might. Others mentioned taking the hanging one to other homes when visiting.
Lenny
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:27 pm

I am using my post again for help with training my now 10 mo old male. Today I need to hit the videos and read what do you when he won't listen to commands. He was easy to train with treats and possitive. So I feel he knows the words when I say no or stop, down. With food on the kitchen counter he will get his front paws on the countertop next to you and won't listen to correction. I pull his paws down and he might do it again. This is just one of the things to stop. He won't come off leash in the fenced yard but used to with a treat. When he got out the treat reward to come only worked a few times same with having a toy to call him. Ran to a frisbee once chasing him around our neiborhood. Came to my truck and jumped in once.

Worried I sould like a complainer but I need him safe and easy to control. Maybe off leash someday but some advise not.
This will draw fire so I searched for the topic on E collar in advance. Considered a shock device here. I didn't know they are like a TENS unit pulse to the dog and not the panic of electricity shock. Seems a huge difference gets the attention the same. It can be turned up to hurt the dog. I am not spanking my dog or want to show him. The dog trainers have to train the owner. The owner holds the collar turned on and he learns what it feels like to the dog and how to use the button. There is the smaller Micro Educator that could fit ok. You can set pulse vibration or tones to alert.

I am not advocating here. This is the newest tech. Also looked into locator collars to search if he gets away. Is this much better to stop having to look for him. There was mention invisable fence might work with my 4ft fence if digging? Same deterent.

Barking would be in top 10 to try with this. Bark collars are not frowned on right? Someday off leash training?
Give me some direction if you can. Hope I don't get bashed about it.
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:18 pm

Sound like your pup is becoming a rebellious adolescent! It's a phase. You need to remain consistent, practice slkills like recall with lots of praise and high-value treats where he can't fail (fenced area and with a long line if needed), not give him the opportunity to ignore commands (so not off leash where you can't get him), and stay positive - no, it's not easy, but "this too shall pass". No, I won't bash you for looking into various types of training equipment, but I will say that I would not consider electronic collars for Whippets except maybe for life and death things such as snake avoidance training, if we lived where that would be necessary. They are really pretty gentle dogs, and there are IMO better and kinder ways to get their attention.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby GibsonOwner » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:28 pm

Thank you Lois!
I am a sceptic and have to do tons of research to try something like the collar. They make it look like magic and like watching Ceaser it may not apply well to our dogs. That is why I wanted to hear from you here. I am holding off on the collar. It can be easy to be judgemental so I dreaded hearing you should have another dog.
I can forget.
Paitence should be the first training method for the owners rule no 1 and revert to rule no 1 when the others rules don't work.

We have snakes my worry is cars and other dogs in my neiborhood. One of our whippets would snap a snake in two before you saw what happened.
Poor snakes were just black snakes.
Lenny

I was wrong the invisible fence shocks dogs getting close....bad news.
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:50 pm

I was expecting strong opinions from both sides just like trainers on ytube. No one has tried anything like this for whippets?
Some of the examples for barking or biting of other breeds don't matter to us. Anyone have a human biting dog? Maybe for food.
The off leash control could be the best collar training. Starting in the fence to let him know off leash he still has commands so
that when he gets loose he does not do as he wants. (like now) You are tring to teach by tugging on the leash with the collar
button to make him put the two together you still listen. Is there a method that can replace that use?

How did I do it having a whippet and a greyhound off leash later in thier lives? Luck?
If you have a 90% success how did you get there? Thanks for feedback.
Attachments
s-l200.jpg
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby cathyj » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:31 pm

Hi - sometimes I am a little dense. I just noticed you are in Florida. St. Petersburg Dog Training Club is on US 19 and has tons of classes. It sounds like Gibson is now a teenager and in full rebellion mode. I understand your frustration. Every dog has signs they give off when they need to go out. If you can get them to ring the bells, great. I always err on the side of caution and if they look like they have to go, I take them out. Although I have a fenced yard, I have always walked my dogs on a leash so - a. I knew who did what when and b. I hate surprises. Hate, hate, hate to step in poop! By the way, my friend just threw out her underground fence when her dog went right over it. One thing I wondered about is how much exercise does Gibson get. When they are young, they have a lot of energy. I would not train for anything for more than 10 minutes. They lose interest. Also, please do teach him sit, stay, rollover or anything else as this is bonding time. My whippets came 98% of the time when I called because they knew there was a treat or something good involved. Would still never trust them off leash. Anyway, I am whippetless at the moment - waiting for one now. If you want to talk, let me know and good luck.
cathyj
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:42 am

I am starting to see how teenager applies to him. It's a long time since having a pup. I took him out for errands in my truck and when we got out he pulled the leash out of my hand. Followed him to the back yard accross the street and he stopped when called and let me get the leash.
I got my training reward today. He shows signs. In our fenced yard I have worked on recall and follow him till he listens to come. He figures I won't give up and puts his head down submitting and follows me in the house. It was a game before.

I have tried to find out how much exercise does it take? He brings the frisbee and barks to play. He plays full out till he needs water then comes back for more. I have gone at least an hour with him. He will take some breaks but not stop. He showed signs of being wore out for a dog park visit.
And I am here everyday so he starts bugging me for attention as activity director ringing the bell for service. He rings the bell for a chewy or play frisbee, squirrels and just wants out. (I know he's out smarting me)

This off leash thing I don't want to take chances on a regular basis. I want a better chance if he does get loose and dog poo happens.
Too old to run like he does.
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Previous

Return to Whippet World Message Board