Dog and Owner Training

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Re: Dog and Owner Training

Postby Heather » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:55 am

I totally agree with the great advice about finding a trainer in your area that is well accredited versus the pet store training "classes". I know first hand, let's say the screening process for trainers of such classes is less than rigorous. I also agree with the comments about never having them off leash unless fenced in or somehow secured. I always read this but was a bit egotistical I suppose, thinking the recall I had with MY Whippets was stronger, or they're not like other Whippets, etc. For years and years we hiked with them off leash but on a heal and they always came back to us when allowed to run in meadows. Then one day we suddenly came up on a moose... which spooked, took off.... trailed by my perfect little well-trained angels who had just discovered something much more fun to do than to listen to me. The only reason this story doesn't end in disaster?
An emergency "STOP!" command caught the attention of our Cardigan Corgi (who always was so hilariously far behind them when they all ran by the way)... and when he turned around thank God they followed him. It's just not worth it.
Heather
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby GibsonOwner » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:08 pm

(I really think you might be expecting too much from a puppy. If you think about it - a puppy that is with his siblings and mother will be trained by the mother other older dogs if they get out of line. Young whippets need a lot of exercise and patience is the key.)

Thanks Cathy, He is just 4 mos and I am happy about what he has learned so far. Much better than dogs in my past where I didn't do these things. I see this taking patience and time over years. I need the good habits I didn't have before. This feedback has been great.
I am probably just over-thinking this. As well put by others the ideas are not hard the execution is another thing.

I had a huge change here not having a puppy for years. We moved here a couple years ago with an acre and no fence with our older whippet and greyhound. I fenced in our back yard area for the puppy. He got a tick so I put 2ft garden fence blocking all the wooded area and bushes. Fence inside fence. I used a coil leash at first in the yard but he got bad habits pulling out line so I went to rewards with him free (in fence) to go. I am teaching him on the leash separately. Our last whippet never had a leash on but at the vets. It also takes a lot for me to trust a whippet like we all know. Leo would stop a chase with no. Really every time. I know come on he was a whippet? 1 out of my last 5. 2 others would lay in the front yard and stay. 1 would leave at any chance. 1st one dug under fence from storms.

Gibson did get out of the gate and the reward calling work in the back yard got him to come. He didn't feel like he just broke out free but acted the same as in the fence.
Lenny
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby solosmom » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:57 pm

I say that Indy has GREAT RECALL but I still NEVER let her off leash in non-fenced areas or where she could get anywhere near a road or parking lot. I still leash both my dogs before we exit the car even to cross the sidewalk to get into the house! Just not worth the risk.
solosmom
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:28 pm

The potty bell or go out bell.
This is in other topics and not new to the list so I searched the past comments. I just wanted to add this in my post training a puppy. I am really happy to see this work and should be on everyones list with a new puppy. This is very useful and gave me satisfaction connecting with him. Don't we all want to think we have a smart dog anyway. Already noted you need to have trained where he should go first. He did well with that. Then he would stand at the door and look or whimper. You had to watch and wonder if thats what he wants but not now. A couple of times he whimpered and when it didn't work he rang the bell on his own. It will take more I know but it works easier that I thought. Oh yeah I need to sort out false alarms but have to go when it rings.

I still have a list to work on and may never train him to roll over. This is far better on priorities.

Lenny
Attachments
IMG_1264.jpg
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:44 pm

The bell is awesome. Our new pup watched one of our others do it and picked it up the second day she was home with us. They don't do it all the time, just when they really need our attention. And our older ones don't do it much. It was our two youngest (now almost 6) that learned it when they were young. The oldies couldn't be bothered.

I like your bell! Mine are just hanging ones from the door.
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby GibsonOwner » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:56 pm

Wendy,
That was good old ebay for 10 bucks delivered. I thought my pup would chew up the bells that hang. Ours is all metal so far he has not chewed it.
Did you see my wifes glasses? He might. Others mentioned taking the hanging one to other homes when visiting.
Lenny
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Previous

Return to Whippet World Message Board