Seperation anxiety in 6m old - any advice?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Seperation anxiety in 6m old - any advice?

Postby MBthewhippet » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:45 am

Hi,

We are after some help for our gorgeous 6m old boy Monty. We have recently discovered that he is displaying signs of seperation anxiety when we are at work. We only leave him for around 3hrs at a time as he gets a good walk and play at lunchtime.

We have discovered through sound recording that he can be very distressed at times, crying, howling and going in and out of the doggy door over and over. This is particularly bad when he hasn't had a run in the morning. Previously we have taken him for a run 3-4 times a week and at least 2 walks (20-30mins) per day every day. We also do obedience training and playing with him at home to keep his mind busy. We leave puzzle food toys and lots of other toys for him while we are out.

So, I'm really wanting advice on if it's ok, exercise wise, for me to give him a good run every morning. I don't want to overdo it with him and push his growing body, but at the same time I don't want him to be howling and getting really upset while home alone.

We appreciate any advice for our precious little guy.
Thanks in advance.
MBthewhippet
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Return to Whippet World Message Board