Camping with Whippets

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Camping with Whippets

Postby OregonLuca » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:59 pm

We just got back from camping and I had to post this. We have always taken them camping, and they are either on a leash or on a plasticoated cable dog tie-out. The problem with the dog tie-out is that Luca would wrap himself around a tree and not be able to figure out how to unwind himself. I spent half my time unwinding him and the other half holding on to Juno on a leash. Now that Juno is old enough for a tie-out, we decided it would be a problem. Too much unwinding between the two of them, and a bit of danger if they tangle themselves in it. It's hard to get anything done or relax when constantly holding onto a dog.
So here is our new solution! We already use the escape-proof RuffWear Webmaster harnesses. Now RuffWear has come out with a cool tether system. We just got two of them and tried them this week. No tangling and super simple to use. It's called the Knot-a-Hitch. Check it out here: https://ruffwear.com/collections/campin ... ot-a-hitch
In the picture, hopefully you can see Luca on the lead.
Attachments
IMG_5010.JPG
Heather & Luca & Juno
OregonLuca
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Camping with Whippets

Postby stf » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:14 pm

Interesting. Is the idea to have the "horizonal" runner tied off to the trees at a height greater than the length of the "vertical" line running from the pulley to the harness, and thereby eliminating the possibility that they can wrap themselves even partially around one of the two trees?
stf
WW Member

Postby OregonLuca » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Yes, there is a horizontal rope between two trees with a nifty daisy chain/ratchet adjustment so that it doesn't slide down the trees, but still has some give. There is a carabiner on the line and you attach the dog's leash (vertical line) to the carabiner. The dog can't get very wrapped around a tree with just a 4 foot leash--at least not our big pines. I set up our other dog from one shared tree to another that was 120 degree angle between the two lines. It worked great. They could get to each other and lay next to each other, but not really do much else. No big chasing or running. They quickly figured out their limits and seemed content to mostly sniff around and lay down.
Heather & Luca & Juno
OregonLuca
WW Member

Postby nic_skev » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:53 am

This is great and thanks for sharing this :D
nic_skev
WW Member

Postby stf » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:20 am

This does look like a good low-tech solution. How smart to use a carabiner and the leash line, then you can walk up, disconnect and go! I checked out the web-site, and it looks to be made of very good quality parts.
stf
WW Member

Postby Heather » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:52 am

Nice! We take ours camping all the time... just ordered one to try because of this thread, thanks!
Heather
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:54 am

Looks great. Not sure we could do it with 5, but definitely 1 or 2. I love ruffwear products. So much thought goes into creating them and the parts are strong and secure.
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Return to Whippet World Message Board