Is my Whippet puppy sleeping too much?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Is my Whippet puppy sleeping too much?

Postby klw21079 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:24 pm

HI Guys! New owner here of a 4 month old female! She is the sweetest little girl and super chill and mellow! She has already lost one tooth, and she sleeps A LOT ! She goes to bed about 10pm, gets up about 5 am stays up for about an hour.. hour and a half and is already ready to go back to bed for about 4 hours. I get her up to potty and play, then back down for naps. She is so cute and gentle and good! Is this going to last or is crazy puppy going to come out at some point? I have two 10 year old female Italian greyhounds, and they sleep a lot too.. is she just picking up on what they do?
Last edited by chelynnah on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from older post into separate topic so people would see the new post
klw21079
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Is my Whippet puppy sleeping too much?

Postby chelynnah » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:30 am

Count your blessings!! Sounds like you’ve lucked into a great puppy there. As long as she seems healthy and not lethargic then I’m sure she’s fine. They do sleep a lot, and then have their mad bursts of energy doing the wall of death round the living room. She may also be picking up on your older dogs’ routines.

It’s like human babies, no two are the same. Some are bad at sleeping through and some sleep through from the off.

Welcome to the forum. And as I said unless there’s other reasons to be concerned (lethargic rather than sleeping, off her food etc) then I think you just lucked out with a good puppy. Beware though. Teenage rebellion can hit about 8-10 months :shock:
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby klw21079 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks! So far she is doing sooo good! I hung bells on the back outdoor and she has already started using them to go outside for pottys. She is 5 months now, and just had her check up at vets. Stool sample showed Giardiais, which I am concerned about. She is showing no symptoms at all. They sent me home with 5 days worth of Panacur which she finished a few days ago. I am hoping this will help. Also, I am trying to figure out the best time to have her spayed? 7 months? 8 months? Vet says anytime 6 months on.. I also enrolled her in puppy classes supposed to start July 24th however if this Giardiais is not cleared up - I do not want to bring her around other dogs.. She is terrified of the vacuum, and really isn't into the leash just yet. Any other tips or suggestions as she is getting older?
klw21079
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby PAWhippets » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:11 pm

Wow, this sounds like a really great pup! Giardia is unfortunately a very common thing in some areas. One of ours had a few bouts of it.Good breeders do treat for it proactively where it's known to be a problem, but it can still flare up. Hopefully the Panacur does the trick.

There are a lot of different schools of thought on best age for spaying currently. Many think, if your circumstances allow, that it's best to wait for her to have a season first and then spay about three months afterwards, so that her body fully matures as it's meant to, but for some, managing a bitch in season is not feasible. In any case, it would probably be best to wait until at least 12 months for her to grow up a bit, but in some lines, she could have had her first season by then (your breeder could advise about that). What does your vet recommend (although sadly some vets push for spaying and neutering at very young ages)?

Sounds like things are going very well with her!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Return to Whippet World Message Board