Puppy Food

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Puppy Food

Postby Heather » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:51 pm

Hai!

With a cute lil ball of snuggles :romance-inlove: on the way in the form of an 8 week old white & red brindle puppy arriving this Thursday, :dance: the question begs... what's the best to feed him? He is ever so slightly bow legged at the moment, the breeder is feeding him Purina Pro Plan Sport Performance All Life Stages 30/20 formula which I'm going to get a small bag to switch him over to a puppy-specific food. I searched the forums but what I found was several years old, so just in case there's anything better on the market.... I thought I'd ask....

.... what do you guys recommend for Whippet puppy food?

Thank you! :banana-dance:
Heather
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Puppy Food

Postby Heather » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:07 pm

Was thinking of this maybe? (click below for link)

Orijen Puppy

OR I've heard Acana is good (are they the same?) ... but I couldn't find a puppy version? :think:
Heather
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:56 pm

On the recommendation of the experienced breeders we know (and, I might add, in opposition to what our vet said, but he has no experience with raising Whippets), we NEVER feed puppy food. It's a marketing ploy. Probably as your puppy's breeder does, we feed a good all-life-stages food to all of ours. Puppy food has too much calcium and can cause developmental problems such as knuckling over. Also, in light of emerging research, we are avoiding grain-free diets and those containing legumes such as peas, which are possibly associated with heart problems.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby Heather » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Oh wow, I had no idea Lois, thanks for the reply!

So which food do you feed? (brand?)
I can't do raw diets but I want the best kibble I can feed :handgestures-thumbup:
Heather
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:42 pm

I also thank you Lois. I didn't know that about puppy food. Our dog is so hungry he chokes on the food swallowing kibble fast. I mix it with water but he does not chew it. Hope he out grows that. I wondered if you can over feed the puppy if I give him more. 2 cups of kibble and some chicken in a toy per day. Can I give him another cup at 4 months and 20lbs? We have used Purina one for years.
Lenny
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:40 pm

We've just switched from Nature's Variety Prairie (because of the peas) to Victor, also a chicken and brown rice formula. Ours are all doing fine on it, but sometimes you have to experiment to find a food that agrees with your dog. As far as eating too much/too fast, it's better for a puppy to have multiple meals - at 4 months, 3 meals per day would still be best if you can do it (I know not everyone is able to), then cutting out the mid-day one probably around 6 months. We feed everyone twice a day. There are feeders designed to slow down dogs that eat too fast.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby cathyj » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:02 pm

There are a lot of good food to choose from. More important to me is how the pup looks. I always measured the food so I knew what to increase or decrease. PAWhippets is correct. Not every food is good for every dog. Good luck.

Cathy
cathyj
WW Member

Postby solosmom » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Our puppy came to us from a breeder who also did not recommend puppy formula. We feed, as our breeder recommended, Taste of the Wild and cycled proteins - Salmon, Duck, Lamb and Chicken. Both of our pups are thriving. We have recommended this brand to other Whippet owners and all of their pups seem to be doing well. We also measure out portions especially so we know how much each pup is eating. They respect each other's food bowls and do not eat from each other's but they do share one water bowl although each has their own.
solosmom
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board