Those AREN'T Whippets!!!

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Those AREN'T Whippets!!!

Postby Heather » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:07 pm

I'm wondering if you have noticed something we noticed when we were looking to adopt rather than purchase from a breeder. At least in my area, a TON of pitbull and pitbull mixes (and other lg bodied terriers) are being labeled by rescue organizations as "Whippet Mix"... yet there is ZERO Whippet in them! I find this irresponsible.... and disappointing. They're mislabeled as other breeds too of course, but a large number of them are labeled as Whippets, at least around here.

I'm a former Vet Tech who used to work with local shelters, and I know what they're trying to pull off.... but it just doesn't sit right with me :naughty: I was at our Vet a few weeks ago, and they knew we've been on the hunt for a Whippet (have since found one)... so they told me about a woman in the other room who had just gotten a Whippet puppy. Excited about a potential new lead, we waited to meet him/her, only to stare down at a clear pitbull mix. It was hard not to say anything... because the owner kept going on and on about what an aggressive barker it was... but she had Whippet decals all over her car, and I don't know... just didn't seem like my place or the right time.

Have you guys noticed this?
Heather
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Those AREN'T Whippets!!!

Postby PAWhippets » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:32 pm

Yes, this is absolutely a thing. It's addressed on the WRAP (Whippet Rescue and Placement) page, and I am forever seeing photos of people's "Whippet mixes", that clearly have NO Whippet whatsoever, on Facebook groups. On the one hand, I guess you can't blame shelters for trying to make skinny pit mixes more appealing and find homes for them, but it's dishonest, and can give people inaccurate ideas about what Whippets are like :(

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Re: Those AREN'T Whippets!!!

Postby Stickdogs » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:54 pm

PAWhippets wrote:Yes, this is absolutely a thing. It's addressed on the WRAP (Whippet Rescue and Placement) page, and I am forever seeing photos of people's "Whippet mixes", that clearly have NO Whippet whatsoever, on Facebook groups. On the one hand, I guess you can't blame shelters for trying to make skinny pit mixes more appealing and find homes for them, but it's dishonest, and can give people inaccurate ideas about what Whippets are like :(

Lois

I agree. I had a conversation recently about this very subject with a foster lady and her 'Whippet mix'. She approached me and asked if my dogs were puppy Greyhounds. "No. They are full grown Whippets" She proceeds to show several pictures of her 'half-Whippet' foster dog, which was clearly a brindled pitbull. I politely corrected her and said "No, your dog is a pitbull" and pointed out the obvious differences using my dogs. Luckily she agreed and thanked me for showing her as she has never seen a Whippet in person before.

Whippets are not that common a breed (at least around here) so how can there be so many Whippet mixes?

Kristal
Stickdogs
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 33688

Return to Whippet World Message Board