Boarding 7mo old whippet puppy

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Boarding 7mo old whippet puppy

Postby tofergregg » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:05 am

Hello all -- first post on the board!

We just got our gorgeous, sweet, sensitive puppy, Jupiter, a month ago (he is 6 mo old now), and I have been able to work from home for the summer, so he gets lots of attention presently. He sleeps in bed with us, and we've been gradually crate training him (up to a few hours a day with us out of the house), and he's doing reasonably well (some whining, but not too bad).

We have a one-week vacation planned in August, and we wanted to take him, but he gets pretty car sick (lots of drooling, and throwing up after 15-30 minutes). We may board him instead, but we don't really know where to begin, nor what questions to ask (we're just south of San Francisco) (we have also considered drugging him for the trip, but that's a different conversation).

He seems pretty sensitive and young to board at 7 months -- is this even a good idea?

We'd love to know what folks would ask a kennel, and your thoughts in general. Thank you!
tofergregg
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Boarding 7mo old whippet puppy

Postby Septembergirl » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:26 pm

I sent you a private message.
Fran, Ember, and Forest
Septembergirl
WW Supporter

Postby PAWhippets » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:10 pm

It would be a shame if you're driving and couldn't take your puppy along. The ones we've had that started out carsick all got over it with lots of short trips to fun places (like several a day) and carrying cleanup supplies in the meantime! Some people have better luck not feeding before, giving gingersnaps seems to work for some, OTC or prescription meds for others...there are lots of things to try. And hopefully he's riding in a crate, for safety.

As far as boarding, it's important to find a kennel you feel safe with. Can your pup's breeder offer a recommendation (or in some cases, the breeder will board their pups if needed)?

He's very cute!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby GibsonOwner » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:15 pm

That has kept us from going on vacation for years. Taking him would be my choice and would not likely use a kennel. We have had great care at our vets office and the techs dog sit on the side. They know how much our dogs mean to us and know we need complete trust in them. That is first with us whoever takes care of your dog. Pet sitting is common here in Florida that could be a better choice. I have not used one yet. Our favorite tech will be the one we call. We plan to just get our for dinner one night to start. She will come here or can take home.

Gibson is a big hit at the Vets office and they all fuss over him. Might be the only whippet they see.
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby solosmom » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:02 pm

Jupiter is a pretty pup and has markings very much like our Indy.

When we got each of our pups, each breeder asked us to please never 'board' our dogs. When we got our Italian Greyhound (20 years ago!) it was written in our contract that we would not 'kennel' our dog and we never did for the entire 16 and a half years she was with us. There are some great pet sitters in our area (we are in San Francisco) and you can probably find one by asking around and getting recommendations even from your vet. Vet techs often house/pet sit. Just make sure your sitter has some experience with how fast Whippets can move! We have NOT had good experiences with Rover.com. When we have to travel, we first check our sitter's schedule! She comes to our house with her two Whippets and everybody has a good time and we have peace of mind.
solosmom
WW Member

Postby GrandmaB » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:48 pm

I second the pet sitter suggestion. We have had the same pet sitter for years, and she moves into the house to care for my whippet and my travel buddy's Border terriers. When I pack my suitcase my whippet girl gets moderately anxious, but all is forgiven when her Auntie Fran arrives to care for her. Either way you decide, pet care is expensive, and you would do well to look into this option.
GrandmaB
WW Member

Postby mpetr37349 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:04 pm

One of my whippets always got carsick when he was a puppy but know he is fine and we travel by car a lot. Keeping an empty stomach while traveling was the best thing until he outgrew it.
When we do need to board our dogs there is a local dog ranch and they stay with the woman who owns it in her home. This works out great but expensive. $50 per dog per night and we have 3 dogs so....we take them with us as much as we can. Sometimes we have found it better to have a family member stay at our house and watch them . Even if we have to pay to fly them in it can still be less $ than boarding them.
mpetr37349
WW Member

Postby tofergregg » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks for all the replies -- sorry it took me so long to see them. We've decided that we are going to take Jupiter on the road (5.5 hour drive), and we've been testing shorter trips with dramamine (with limited success -- there is usually still lots of drool and the occasional puke). We did find a private house with a daily doggy-daycare and overnight boarding in his own crate, and he had two successful nights, though there was some whining.

We're in the San Francisco area, and we may try and see if there are any whippet owners who want to do a sitting-trade at some point, too. Again, thanks for the replies!
tofergregg
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board