too much playfighting?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

too much playfighting?

Postby middlemash » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi all

I have a 5 month old Whippet called Basil. She is amazing and very loving. Overall she's settled in well.

I knew before we got her that whippets can be quite nervous dogs, which works perfectly for our home environment and I was prepared for the training to be focused around praise rather than punishment.

But since we've had her my husband has turned into a big kid playfighting with her all day long. At first I didn't think it would be such a bad thing as I thought she'd be missing out on the rough play with her litter. But I'm worried that too much playfighting will give her an aggressive temperament. There's no huge issues so far, but sometimes I think her behavior seems like she's looking for the playfighting and she can be quite nippy.

I don't know if I'm being overly worried, or if it genuinely might be bad example for her. I've spoken to my husband, but he thinks it's fine. He's had dogs before and I haven't so I don't know what to think!

What are your thoughts? If rough play is okay in moderation - are there any particular behavioral issues I should be looking out for to know it's gone too far?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
middlemash
middlemash
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Return to Whippet World Message Board