Snow/Cold and Whippets

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Snow/Cold and Whippets

Postby klw21079 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi All! Question for those who live in areas with snow/cold. Does your whippet like the snow? This will be our first year with our 6 month old girl and so far rain doesn't bother her.. however as summer is winding down, I am wondering how she will be once the snow starts falling. She loves to play in the yard.. I am wondering if she will continue to play in the yard once snow and cold come or if I need to start figuring out alternatives for the winter and her exercise. I will be getting her a coat and boots, so any recommendations for any places in the United States to purchase those from would be appreciated as well! Thanks!
klw21079
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Snow/Cold and Whippets

Postby OregonLuca » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:29 pm

Hi,
My 2 whippets love the snow. We just have to dress them appropriately. Search Chilly Dogs on WW and you'll see several postings on the kind of coats they have. The coats are made in Canada and are warm. Sometimes I layer a stretch fleece (from Gold Paw Series) underneath if it's really cold. We live in the mountains, so we do get snow. As for boots--I wish. I have a set, but honestly they are a pain in the butt to keep on the dogs, and we spend most of our walk putting them back on when they kick them off. Their "hare feet" just don't keep boots on well--too narrow. I do put Musher's Secret on as a barrier to help. I never have them out too long in the snow, but they certainly like to go for walks in it and play in it!
Heather & Luca & Juno
OregonLuca
WW Member

Re: Snow/Cold and Whippets

Postby klw21079 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:03 pm

I am up north, and everyone here uses SALT to melt snow - so walking purposes I was thinking boots to protect her feet - but I will look into the Mushers, from everything I have read on boots they seem like a pain. Of course in my yard there will be no salt - so at least she will be safe there =)
klw21079
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board