Will my puppy become a giant?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Will my puppy become a giant?

Postby anyhow » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:59 pm

I'm sure the topic of puppies weight and speed of growth have been discussed many times before but I wanted to ask for people's opinion on this particular case.

I've owned and known many whippets and have seen them grow up. My latest addition to the household, Enzo, is now 16 weeks and grows well, fast like puppies do. He is however the biggest puppy I have ever seen at 16 weeks - he weighs 9 kg at the moment and put on about 0.5 kg per week. I have had female whippets weighing not much more than that as adults :D. My other whippet - who just like Enzo - has 50% American lines behind him is a pretty big boy with European standards, around 51 cm and 15,7 kg. He on the other hand was about half of Enzo's weight at the same age...

Enzo looks great and we will love him just the same if he turns out to be a giant :) however since we're in Europe and had planned to participate in FCI events when he's an adult I fear that it's not very likely he won't grow over the magic 51 cm. Enzo's parents are both under 51 cm and so are his grandparents (also on his mother's side which is purely American lines). Nevertheless, there are probably some bigger dogs behind that and you never know what genes may come forward.

So to my question; do you see any chance that Enzo's growth speed will slow down/he will finish growing early or in your experience, does a big puppy (at 4 months) always turn out to be big as an adult? Clearly he won't be a tiny boy but is there still hope he won't exceed 51 cm?
anyhow
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Will my puppy become a giant?

Postby PAWhippets » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:04 am

Anything's possible... different dogs do grow at different rates. I've seen some puppies that grew much faster than others. But usually a dog's breeder would be the best person to make an educated guess as to how fast his or her lines tend to reach their full height. What does he or she say? I do hope Enzo stays under the height limit so he can participate in the activities you hope he can, but glad he'll have a loving home regardless.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Re: Will my puppy become a giant?

Postby chelynnah » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:45 pm

Some mature really slowly over about 12-18 months. Some grow big really fast and then stop around 6-7 months, just filling out after that. Most of mine have been the first kind. My recent pup was the second. She scared me to death that she was going to be massive, but she hit her height at 6 months and didn't really grow up any futher, just filled and shaped out. So I wouldn't worry too much. If you are concerned have a chat with the breeder. They will know best how their lines tend to develop.

Wendy
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Return to Whippet World Message Board