Prone to upset stomach?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Prone to upset stomach?

Postby Frontencenter90 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:59 pm

Are Whippets prone to upset stomachs? In the past 7 months my 8 year old female randomly wakes up with a stomach that churns so much you can hear it from the other side of the room. She refuses to eat breakfast and it usually goes away by lunch time, then she eats and is fine.

We cut out all treats etc and it did help, there are certain things she can eat and cannot eat as we reintroduce them back into her diet. Sometimes if she has had nothing but her kibble, the next morning her stomach is at it again. Remember, it random, she can go 4-7 days without a episode. It is the weirdest thing and no she hasn't got into anything without my knowledge. She is on Orijen Fish which she has been on for years. She is allergic to other brands of food but we can't pin point what is causing her allergies.

So what I am getting at is are Whippets more susceptible to stomach issues?
___
Added by Chelynnah - split from this original topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7423, which is the topic referenced at the beginning. I wanted to be sure people would see this post and be able to give appropriate replies rather than think they were responding to the original one.
Last edited by chelynnah on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from an old topic so it would be seen.
Frontencenter90
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 5725

Re: Prone to upset stomach?

Postby chelynnah » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi, sorry, I split the topic (I've explained above).

Whippets do get a lot of what I personally call 'empty tummy syndrome', and it happens a lot in the morning just like you describe. If they go too long between their last meal at night and their first meal in the morning and their stomach gets too empty it tends to cause gastric upset, rumbling, throwing up a bit of yellow bile. As you describe they don't want to eat their breakfast because their tummy is too rumbly, but actually food is what they need. Often I find that if I persevere and get them to eat a bite or two, it will kick-start their tummy into realising it needs food.

What we've done to prevent this is we give them a few yummy treats right before we go to bed. That gives their stomach's something to work on through the night so they don't wake up like this.

We also ensure to feed two meals a day. Way back it was the done thing to feed dogs once a day, but since starting with whippets almost 20 years ago we've seen the benefits of twice a day feeding. Our first girl together had a really sensitive tummy to start (later in life it was cast iron LOL) and by splitting her meals into twice a day she just coped better. Since then it seems to have become more common for people to feed twice a day, and it is healthier for the dogs.

I hope this helps and it's just a matter of giving her a few biscuits at bed-time to settle things down.

Wendy
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby PAWhippets » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:09 pm

Hi. Yes, we have/have had a couple who are prone to this and while we, too, originally thought once they were adults, they only needed to be fed once a day, we also discovered that they did much better being fed twice (roughly 1/3 AM, 2/3 PM). A biscuit or two before bed helps also, and with one of ours we have found he really needs meals around 12 hours apart, so if we have to feed the evening meal early because we're going out, we split that into two and give part before and the rest when we come home. If our efforts fail and someone still gets the noisy tummy then sometimes I will give Pepcid (famotidine), approved by our vet, but as Wendy said, the real trick is getting a little food into them somehow so they realize they need to eat!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby Septembergirl » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:17 am

Ember, my picky eater, also suffers from "empty tummy syndrome." She gets three Nutro Natural Choice Sensitive Stomach biscuits at bedtime, and they do the trick -- no more spitting up bile in the morning. For a while I was also giving her 1/2 of a Pepcid tablet (original strength) but stopped that after a couple of months, concerned that it wouldn't be good for her long term. Fortunately, she was fine with just the biscuits.

My whippets get fed twice a day: usually around 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

I do remember how dreadful it was hearing Ember's tummy rumble in the morning and knowing she would have to vomit to feel better.
Fran, Ember, and Forest
Septembergirl
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Return to Whippet World Message Board