Going back to work after working from home....advice needed!

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Going back to work after working from home....advice needed!

Postby nic_skev » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:31 am

Hello everyone, my boyfriend has been working from home for the past 18 months but he has been advised that he will be going into the office again starting in October. Our whippet (who is now 3) is so used to him being there in the day that I am not sure that he will cope on his own now! Paul works upstairs and Walter is downstairs in the living room and he only goes in a couple of times in the day to check on him but Walter knows he is in the house so just settles down and sleeps all day. I just know that he will not do this if Paul is not there!

He gets a walk in a morning and then and even longer one in the evening but does anyone have any advice (other than walks) that we can do and maybe start soon to prepare Walter for the change? He has many toys and puzzle games to play with but he just doesn't bother with them when we leave him on his own.

Thanks for your help and advice
Nic
nic_skev
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Going back to work after working from home....advice nee

Postby GrandmaB » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:55 pm

Can you manage a doggy day care day each week to break up the monotony for him? That worked for me, and my pup was tired the day after mingling with friends and was happy to sleep in. Alternately, is there a retiree in the neighborhood who would be willing to come in to say hello a couple of days?
Going from full time live-in service provider (boyfriend ) to having no servants at all can be trying for any dog, but you'll find your whippet to be flexible if you can provide some positives amid the change.
GrandmaB
WW Member

Postby nic_skev » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Thanks you for your help and we used to use a pet sitter when he was a puppy and they used to come round, let him out for the toilet and also have a play in the garden! I know there are some doggy day care places we could use as well. We will try and mix it up abit for him but I know he is a sucker for routine so worried about him adjusting :doh:
nic_skev
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:07 pm

The initial change in routine may upset him. Will someone be able to let him out at lunchtime? How does he cope if you are both out for an evening or at the weekend? I think he'll do better than you expect, especially if he's already used to the idea that your other half isn't in the same room, or even on the same floor, as him during the day.

The day care idea is good, as well as going back to having someone come in for a potty run mid-day and a little bit of play. They do adjust pretty quickly, so fingers crossed he will.
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby nic_skev » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:05 pm

yes we'll use the pet sitter we used to use who can come and let him out at lunch time and break up his day a little. He does tend to "fret" a little when we leave him at the weekends but again that's just because he's used to someone being in the house with him during the daytime.

The strange thing is, he is perfectly fine if we leave him when we both go out on our bikes together! I suppose he is used to that now as we've always done that and he knows we are coming back.

Thanks for your help & advice
Nic
nic_skev
WW Member

Postby chelynnah » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Fingers crossed it goes well and it won't take him long to adjust to the new routine.
Wendy J (Chelynnah Whippets)
Chelynnah Chat Blog; Tuggitz! Dog Toyz
Click our signature banner below to visit the Chelynnah website

chelynnah
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 7231

Postby PAWhippets » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:18 pm

Sounds like you have a good plan in place, with the sitter to let him out and break up the day. I hope Walter will adjust quickly; they usually do spend a lot of time sleeping anyway.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby TimothyHarris » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:05 pm

nic_skev wrote:yes we'll use the pet sitter we used to use who can come and let him out at lunch time and break up his day a little. He does tend to "fret" a little when we leave him at the weekends but again that's just because he's used to someone being in the house with him during the daytime.

The strange thing is, he is perfectly fine if we leave him when we both go out on our bikes together! I suppose he is used to that now as we've always done that and he knows we are coming back.

Thanks for your help & advice
Nic

You don't worry. Walter will cope with the change. :) Mine too became used to my presence in the house when I was bed-ridden for 4 months. But when I started my job again, he did not pose any serious problem.
TimothyHarris
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board