Allergy Advice

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Allergy Advice

Postby OregonLuca » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:21 am

Hi Everyone,
I'm hoping your collective wisdom might help guide me. Our 1 1/2 year old whippet girl Juno is constantly itching at the corners of her mouth to the point where it is raw and bleeds. She bites and chews a bit at her feet and scratches her ears, but the mouth is the main problem. She has been to the vet to rule out fleas, mites, etc. and he feels it is an allergy. It has been going on at least since early March. He recommended trying a nettle tincture and then adding Zyrtec if that didn't help. That is where we are at now. We started the Zyrtec yesterday, so I'm not sure if it is working yet. My question is this--where do we start in determining what the allergy is? I don't want her to be on Zyrtec forever. The vet seemed to think we should just wait and then we would know if it's seasonal. I'd be somewhat surprised if it's seasonal as it started when it was still quite cold here (we're in the mountains, not the rainy side of Oregon).
So I'm thinking it could be food related. She was switched from Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream around that time due to a severe diarrhea episode(in both our whippets--I think it was a bad batch of food). We switched to NutriSource Seafood Select, which is also grain free and has fairly limited ingredients. I do note peas, alfalfa, tomato pomace, flax, and sunflower oil in addition to salmon and menhaden fish. Do any of these sound allergy-inducing? I'm not really sure where to go with her diet in order to figure this out! Any help is gratefully received.
Heather & Luca & Juno
OregonLuca
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Allergy Advice

Postby PAWhippets » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Poor Juno, she must be so uncomfortable! I agree that I'd suspect food before environment, due to the duration of the symptoms. I know that Dr. Dodds/Hemopet offers a service called NutriScan that tests for food allergies and sensitivities, and I'd probably look into that. Also, I'd be concerned about peas in the food you are currently feeding due to recent information that has come out about peas and other legumes in food and a possible connection with heart disease. Good luck, I know it's awful to see our pups suffering!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby OregonLuca » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi Lois,
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I am wondering if peas might be the culprit. I will look into the NutriScan testing. My vet is very open to alternative medicine (as evidenced by trying nettle). I am wondering if there are any grain-free dry dog foods out there that don't have legumes or potatoes in them. The potential heart disease connection is certainly concerning. I looked this up and it seems potatoes might be an issue as well.
Heather & Luca & Juno
OregonLuca
WW Member

Postby OregonLuca » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:03 am

Well I went ahead and had Juno allergy tested with the Nutriscan saliva testing. Good grief. She is allergic to 15 foods! Chicken, corn, milk, oats, turkey, wheat, white fish, salmon, peanuts, lentils/peas, millet, quinoa, rabbit, rice, and even sweet potato! So now I have to figure out what to feed my sweet girl other than hamburger, potato and eggs. I really didn't want to go the home made route. Any suggestions?
Heather & Luca & Juno
OregonLuca
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Oh, wow, that's tough. I've heard of similar cases, no wonder the poor girl was uncomfortable! I'd think maybe the vet or a veterinary nutritionist may have some advice - whatever you're feeding has to be balanced so she gets the nutrients she needs.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Postby OregonLuca » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:58 pm

I talked with her vet. We're going to go down the raw diet route with added probiotics and digestive enzymes to try and heal her gut. We have a prepared raw brand called Northwest Naturals that has a good reputation that we will transition her to. Hopefully we'll see positive change.
Thanks for the support, Lois!
Heather & Luca & Juno
OregonLuca
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:27 pm

That sounds like a really good plan. Please let us know how she's doing!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Postby Mixer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:25 pm

It's been a while. How's your girl now?
Mixer
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board