Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Postby lazywhippet » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:54 am

We have a 1yo Whippet boy, who was castrated on Friday last week and since then he has had terrible anxiety when in his crate. He is fully crate trained (or was) and would usually spend the night in it as well as when we go out.

We originally thought it was the cone but he has had a body suit on since Monday and he is still getting anxious when he is in the crate - he won't go in voluntarily either (he used to).

Last night, I even laid down next to the crate for 30 minutes to try and calm him but it was as though I wasn't even there. As soon as he is put in the crate, he shakes and pants heavily, which is causing us real worry. He has torn his bed up along with a towel that sits on top of it, he's really stressed.

Has anyone had experience of this? Did your pup recover gradually?
lazywhippet
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Postby ohsosolipsistic » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:38 pm

It sounds like your pup has strongly associated being in a crate to the confusion/pain/fear of the few hours after surgery, which is understandable if he was left alone in one immediately after at the vet. I would try systematic desensitization and counterconditioning: https://www.dog-training-excellence.com ... ation.html. He'll likely learn to associate his crate with safety and security again with those focused and consistent training sessions. Best wishes!
ohsosolipsistic
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Return to Whippet World Message Board