Whippet puppy questions

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Whippet puppy questions

Postby gladys » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:01 pm

Hi everyone.

I have driven myself mad and in to a frenzy looking on Facebook and websites about Whippet puppies and have decided to ask on here to stop me going round in circles.

So we have been talking about getting a Whippet for a while, we think they tick all the boxes as a second dog.

But I keep reading all these things about manic pups who wont sleep in crates and rip everything up!!

Please help me??

1) What is the success rate of whippets sleeping at night in crates when young. Also can they be happy to be left during the day from an early age. I work from home so I'm not talking about leaving them for hours on their first day but can it be done?

I read so many posts where people have howling pups and end up bringing them into their bedrooms from the first night. I can't do this for many reasons.
I was always ready for crying pups at night but all our other pups have been when in a detached house in the middle of no where, we are now in an attached house with thin walls, I can't leave a pup to make noise at night. So what would I do??

A couple of people selling pup have said they introduces the crate to the pups before they leave for their new home but as a litter not individually would this make a difference?

2) I understand puppies are full of life and get in to trouble if left, I've been and got through the puppy stage 3 times with other breeds so I know what it's like. But are Whippets really worse than other breeds because some of the things I have read about ripping things up and being manic are a little off putting??

3) My 5 year old dog can be toy possessive with other dogs. It's something my older dog would not let her get away with and she never pushed it as she knew he was top dog. Is this going to be a problem with the new pup?

Sorry about all the questions and sorry if this has all been talked about before. I've just got myself in a bit of a state and need whippet owners to help me.

Thanks for reading.
:mrgreen:
gladys
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Whippet puppy questions

Postby Popsicle » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi Gladys

I cannot compare to other breeds as I have only experience of a Whippet and just the one so I don't have oodles of experience, Pops is 2.5 years old so her puppyhood is still fresh in my mind.

Poppy was in a crate from the day we got her until July last year, she really enjoyed it and definitely viewed it as her space. She slept in it as soon as we got her home, I put her one and only bed inside and only shut the door if absolutely necessary, it was also never used as a punishment. No harsh words on the way in and lots of praise. The first 3 nights I slept downstairs with Pops in her crate in the same room as I was determined not to share the bedroom with her, my replacement upstairs carpets were badly timed for a new puppy but I'm glad we made the decision that her bed would be downstairs. Your puppy will cry, bark and whine that is just what is going to happen but it doesn't last forever, I can't remember how long it was until Pops just settled at night, maybe two weeks but there were definitely times I thought she wouldn't ever just go to sleep. Even if you are not prepared it would be worth warning your neighbours! There is lots of info on here about crate training and certainly from people who are more experienced than me. Pops was in a crate with her litter mates and they all curled up fast asleep together, sleeping alone will not be the same for your puppy.

Poppy wasn't a destructive puppy, but she didn't ever get the opportunity to chew anything, I watched her like a hawk and popped her in her crate if I wasn't able to watch her. She was crazy and still can be, particularly as a puppy she would get the 'Witchin hour' and run around the place like her backside was on fire. It was a bit of a shock at first, it happened the second evening we got her, it lasts for about 10 or 15 minutes and then boom, fast asleep like a little angel while you wonder what the hell happened! We still get the occasional zoomies but sadly not so often anymore. I could never of imagined I would of missed the 'Witchin' Hour!

Pops comes to work with me everyday (she is sleeping under my desk right now... :)), she was 8 weeks and 1 day old on her first day at work. After about a week and a half my friend told me to leave her alone and go to the supermarket as Poppy hadn't experienced any time alone except at night. My husband and I popped her into her crate with a treat and went to our local supermarket, I don't think we bought anything we just stood in an aisle and tried to stay there as long as we could! We were out about 15 minutes and Poppy was barking when we got home, but short stays home alone and left downstairs while I was upstairs doing chores or having bath quickly taught her how to be alone. If I have to leave her I pop a Dog Monitor on my iPad and she is very relaxed and has been for a long time, she barely leaves her bed if I am not there.

Whippets are wonderful little dogs, I would definitely have another and probably will at some point in the future, so it can't have been that bad raising a hellion! I am very proud of her, a couple of hard weeks is worth a lifetime of friendship and loyalty.

Good luck.
Popsicle
WW Member

Postby gladys » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:39 pm

Popsicle wrote:Hi Gladys

I cannot compare to other breeds as I have only experience of a Whippet and just the one so I don't have oodles of experience, Pops is 2.5 years old so her puppyhood is still fresh in my mind.

Whippets are wonderful little dogs, I would definitely have another and probably will at some point in the future, so it can't have been that bad raising a hellion! I am very proud of her, a couple of hard weeks is worth a lifetime of friendship and loyalty.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply.

I have always used the crate for the pups, they are their happy safe place and go in their during the day just to chill out even as adults. But I must admit I have been very lucky as they never made a noise, not even on their first night!!! The only time my oldest dog made a noise at night was when we stayed at my parents for the first time. I ended up sleeping on sofa 3m away from his crate for two nights.
Then I realised it was because we lived in a bungalow and my parents in a house and he didn't know where we went to up the magical stairs?? So the 3rd night I showed him upstairs and that night he slept all through the night with never a sound again.

The dog I have now loves her crate and will happily just stay there until breakfast, even when I was late giving her her breakfast by an hour once when my husband was in hospital and I over slept because I was exhausted!!

So if pup does make a noise and I just let them know I am there but not get them out I wont be making a rod for my own back and having to do it for months??
The way our house is laid out I can't sleep near the crates as they are in the kitchen/dinner. So I would either have to move the crate in to the lounge or sleep on the cold kitchen floor??

I never worried this much with the other pups, maybe I have read to much info now??
gladys
WW Member

Postby sue_rescue » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:56 am

Hi there! Just like you, I read horror stories on here and was so afraid of bringing home a Whippet puppy I actually cancelled her...twice! Needless to say we brought home Willow when she was 9 weeks old and she is now 6 months old and she has been a dream! She cried maybe 15 minutes the first night in her crate, 10 minutes the 2nd night, 5 minutes the 3rd night then settled right in after that. Her crate is in our bedroom and when she would wine I would talk to her to let her know I was there, it really helped. She was housebroken by 4 months when we decided to let her start sleeping in bed with us and she has slept through the night ever since. We have had dogs all our life and I must say, Willow is the best dog we have ever had! She is very affectionate and cuddly but also loves to play. I cannot take all the credit since our 2 year old Greyhound has done much of the work burning off her energy playing during the day so she is ready to snuggle at night. My husband is home with her but when we leave her we use an x-pen with a bed, lots of toys and chewies and she is content we made it a point to leave her for a short time since day one so she didn't get too used to us always being there and her breeder started crate training her at 5 weeks old. Best of luck, I say go for it you won't regret it!
Attachments
Dogs.JPG
Dogs 1.JPG
Willow office.jpg
sue_rescue
WW Member

Postby Popsicle » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi Gladys
I only slept downstairs for two nights, with the crate in the lounge next to the sofa, I slept on the sofa. I'm sure your pup will know you are in the room even if you don't speak. If Pops barked I would lift her out of her cage and pop her into the garden and wait for her to go to the loo, I wouldn't speak to her or she would get way too excited and want to play. After she had been to the loo I would carry her back to her crate and pop her back in, again without speaking to her. By taking her to the loo I was confident that I could let her bark and whine until she settled down and I knew she didn't need to go to the toilet. Even now I will get a little yip at night if she needs to go out, it's very rare but the behaviour is there if she needs it. I think I went a bit overkill with the night time wee's but I would set my alarm to get up and take her to the garden, again, if she barked between my alarms I was confident that I could ignore her and not reinforce the 'barking = human appearance' behaviour!
I'm not a expert, there will be plenty of owners on here with tonnes more experience than me, all I know is the effort I put in during the first few weeks helped Poppy become house trained in 2 weeks and has never an accident and she will happily sleep the clock around!

Sue-rescue. I cancelled my pup as well, so pleased Poppy's breeder hung in there for me to come to my senses!
Popsicle
WW Member

Postby ohsosolipsistic » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:32 pm

1) What is the success rate of whippets sleeping at night in crates when young. Also can they be happy to be left during the day from an early age.

It depends on the individual pup. My first (the girl) had severe issues from day one with crating and being left alone, and she still physiologically panics if she thinks everyone has left her, either people or dogs. My second doesn't like it - and he makes that very clear - but will tolerate it, and I assume would get into a happy routine of crate sleeping if we worked on it for a few weeks.

I strongly recommend informing your breeder about this requirement, they should be able to fit you with a pup that can learn to be crated and left alone for brief periods. However, whippets are highly affectionate velcro dogs - they love being with other dogs and people. They just aren't built to be left alone for long periods (4-6+ hours) other than sleeping on a nearly daily basis.

2) I understand puppies are full of life and get in to trouble if left, I've been and got through the puppy stage 3 times with other breeds so I know what it's like. But are Whippets really worse than other breeds because some of the things I have read about ripping things up and being manic are a little off putting??

Not a steadfast rule, but if you can exercise them beforehand and if they're the type that tolerates being left alone, I'd say most aren't any worse than other working dog type pups. In my limited experience, the sane period after a good exercise session usually only lasts for about 8-12 hours when still growing... roughly 8-12 months. "Good exercise session" being sprints and plently of romping, not only a 20 min walk (maybe 60 min of brisk walking if a walk is your only option).

3) My 5 year old dog can be toy possessive with other dogs. It's something my older dog would not let her get away with and she never pushed it as she knew he was top dog. Is this going to be a problem with the new pup?

I've heard that male whippets are generally more laid back with this, and that's certainly true with my two. The girl is rawhide possessive and the boy will eventually back down if she's stubborn enough.

ohsosolipsistic
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:04 pm

Our dogs have the same paint job! Gibson will hit a yr in March and he is different than our other whippets. We know they are but he has behavior issues others didn't. He is hard to change with any problem like pulling on the leash and keeping control on walks and dog parks. I lost the effect of treat rewards to call him or gain his attention on prey watch in our fenced yard. I walked him everyday and slowly he progressed and the desensitization info really applies. This one (#6) after loosing a perfectly manored one I tried to learn the correct ways to train. I can make a list of my failure to change because I give up repeating the same.

The crate was not working from the start probably cause I let him out after he never did quiet down locked up. He goes in and out with the door open and we have left him for up to 3 hrs crated away. Don't know what happened but all was well. He thinks the crate is punishment not security. At 10 months old he is not chewing furniture or his bed. Just left him in the house a couple of hours yesterday no problems. During the day we have both been outside more and more leaving him in the house. For us we have left our dogs in the house when away. He is getting trustworthy inside.

Energy and exercise seems endless for him. He seems the most athletic powerfull dog we had. For play he likes frisbee and never gets worn out. It has been hard to make the rules to bring it back and let go.

Not yet a year old I expect others to think what do you expect? Over time it all works out and I expect the best friend he will be for years.

Countersurfing
Barking (surprised)
Digging under fence
No recall
Prey drive
Leash tugging
Visitor control
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby gladys » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:55 am

Thank you everyone who replied.

Well I panicked and told breeder I didn't what the puppy at this time. I then cried myself to sleep like a child!!!

I'm so confused.

I really do think a whippet would fit perfectly within our family and I know my female dog would love it after the shock of A PUPPY!!!

My main worry is the crate/night thing and the being left for short periods. So many people have different stories, some whippets are left while people go to work others can't bear to be alone for 5 mins. Some sleep all through the night other don't unless in the bedroom?? Which is not an option.

I really don't know what I'm doing? I've never had a problem with my dogs in the past, I work from home so mainly here but I think a dog should learn to be left for a while and my girl is so good. She LOVES having us with her and will be in a bed in which even room I'm in but she is also happy to go in her bed (crate) at night and also when I go to the shops, hairdressers, meet a friend for lunch.

I have just received an email from a breeder I contacted before Christmas to say they have a mating planned for later this year, I was both excited and nervous to say yes I'm interested. When I knew I'd missed out on this present pup I was so upset but when I think of saying yes I start to worry again.

What am I doing??
gladys
WW Member

Postby sue_rescue » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:24 am

I know exactly how you feel! I felt the same way after reading dreadful posts about Whippet puppies being "Demon Spawn" I cancelled my puppy twice before finally committing to her and am so glad I did, she is now 6 months old and the best puppy ever! Perhaps we just got lucky but I think as long as you have another dog to help "train" the puppy with corrections and to burn off much of the energy playing you will be fine. Keep us posted!
sue_rescue
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:55 pm

Reading my post I was a bonehead if you changed your mind from that. I have been complaining about training that didn't work.
I can give you a list of all the reasons I love whippets but on a bad day you don't think of them. What I had to learn is to try another way with teaching. He has made progress on those rants of mine. We can leave him in the house. Let him have more time in our fenced yard and he started coming when called more often. From anyones advice I didn't think of how negative it might seem about whippets. People here hate to see our dogs in the wrong home.
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Postby Popsicle » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Please don't worry. They are darling little dogs and will be absolutely fine. I was chatting with a friend of mine yesterday and we were remembering how crazy WE were when our Whippets were puppies. While typing this little Pops rests her soft little chin on my knee to ask for her lunch, nothing more demanding than that.
She comes to work with me everyday, however is more than prepared to lay in her bed at home alone for a few hours if needs be. She sleeps all night, is absolutely perfectly clean in the house, travels everywhere with us, fancy cars, vans or even a steam train. She even sleeps under a table in a restaurant while we dine out. She is perfect. BUT I also panicked, cancelled her, rebooked her and panicked again for the next two months while I owned her.
I run a business, full time in a very demanding job with long hours, if I can somehow bring up such an absolute darling with no clue how I did it, anyone can. It's also worth noting, Pops was particularly crazy and right now she's a little over 2.5 years old and she has been perfect forever.
You'll be fine. Good luck xx
Popsicle
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board