OVERWEIGHT!

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

OVERWEIGHT!

Postby solosmom » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:23 pm

Any advice on what to feed an overweight 5 year old spayed female short of starving her? She is on Taste of the Wild, Salmon and gets a cup of dry kibble a day topped with probiotic and about twice a week also gets a Blue Buffalo Trail Treat Biscuit.
solosmom
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: OVERWEIGHT!

Postby sue_rescue » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:32 am

Try replacing 1/4 of her food with green beans or carrots!
sue_rescue
WW Member

Postby MarciaInNM » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:06 am

So she's getting approximately 720 calories a day and the biscuit is 41 additional, on the days she gets one. Heck, I gain weight on any more than 1,400 calories a day, and I'm no whippet.

Maybe bring the kibble down to a measured 3/4 cups twice a day. The green beans are great. They add bulk and fullness, with almost no calories. You can do no-salt canned, fresh, or frozen. I didn't even have to thaw the frozen. You could even feed the green beans as a small meal, in addition to her two kibble meals.

I got a slow feeder bowl for Sonny, because he ate so fast it was ridiculous. It sure has slowed him down, and now he will even occasionally have some left over kibble!
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby Stickdogs » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:45 pm

While it's not food- don't forget to exercise! Calories in, equals calories to burn.
Start on some short, leashed walks around the neighborhood increasing further and further, longer and longer over the upcoming weeks As the weather warms up, take water breaks. Walk, walk, walk! Mix it up a bit. Take her to different city parks and neighborhoods. Take her shopping at dog friendly stores for a change of scenery and some good socialization. Organize a play date with a known neighbor dog for some safe off leash play. (JMO stay away from dog parks.)

Also, when giving her treats don't just give her a treat for the sake of giving a treat. Make her work for it! Believe me, Whippets are smart and she'll quickly learn to look forward to her activity time! Break the treats into smaller pieces and use as a reward. Teach her some basic obedience skills- Sit, Down, Come Stand. Learn some easy tricks (the internet is filled with easy to learn tricks such as Roll Over, Spin Left or Right, Jump Thru a Hula Hoop, Crawl, etc. Play games like Hide and Seek or Keep Away- both games can be done in the house on those rainy, cold days or backyard. Have fun!
Build excellent bonding along with exercise!

Kristal
Stickdogs
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 33688

Postby Kirislin » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:06 am

I don’t feed commercial dog food. I make it. For the last few months I’ve been weighing their food and ive found it the best way to control their weight. None of mine are overweight now.
Kirislin
WW Supporter

Return to Whippet World Message Board