Whippet recall training - dealing with distractions

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Whippet recall training - dealing with distractions

Postby sampacho » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:29 am

Hi all

I’m new to the forum - I’ve recently rehomed a 4 year old whippet called Pacho. He’s a great dog!

He’s my first dog and am currently recall training him - so far he’s excellent in wide open spaces, comes back every time to the whistle, but when there’s lots of distractions like other dogs, food or wooded areas with squirrels he goes def to the whistle. Has anyone had a similar issue or got some advice how to deal with that?

Thanks
Sam
sampacho
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Whippet recall training - dealing with distractions

Postby Greybeard » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:18 pm

I gave up trying :confusion-shrug:
Greybeard
WW Member

Postby GrandmaB » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:03 pm

That's whippets. I have had a couple that would come most of the time, but you shouldn't count on their recall - especially if there are squirrels, rabbits, etc. But keep up the training, you may have one who gets the idea.
GrandmaB
WW Member

Postby GibsonOwner » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:15 am

Advice somewhere inbetween you can never trust off leash whippets or no problem most of the time.
There is a lot of info on training for control with distractions for any breed. You start with treats rewarding when they keep eye contact. Then they
have another dog walk by and you keep control. I can't find a treat that keeps my dogs attention no matter what on walks even if I carry chicken. All my dogs (whippets) were different on this. For now I can call him in the fenced yard. He may not at come at first. He does come to treat and bisquit which is my fault cause you realize he heard his name but you added a word. Funny? Calling him if he gets out of the fence not the same. But getting better at just 1 year old. One day he got out and just drove up and he jumped in the truck since he likes a ride. Squeeky toys can work to call with distractions.
GibsonOwner
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board