Seperation Anxiety and a Second Whippet: male or female?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Seperation Anxiety and a Second Whippet: male or female?

Postby Aerosmum » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:04 am

Hi, I'm new to whippet world! I have a 5 month old male whippet called Aero. He is the perfect puppy in every way, except one. He has bad seperation anxiety. When we leave him alone he gets very distressed - crying, howling, barking, salivating, quivering, scratching at the door excessively etc - from the moment we leave until we come back. Thankfully we only leave him for maximum 2 hours at a time. We are trying different training strategies but ultimately not having any success. So we've resorted to puppy sitters when we have to go out for extended periods (who he will stay with without getting hysterical but he still gets sad and cries for a while after we leave :violin: ).

Anyway, long story short, we're now considering getting a second whippet. Not straight away, but when he is fully grown, desexed and we feel that he is adequately trained. We hope that this will help his seperation anxiety. When our dog sitter had to go out and left him with her dog (who he now knows well) he was okay with it, so we are praying that getting a second dog will work :pray: Also, we are not just getting the dog for his benefit. We always imaged being a two dog household and we are so in love with our fur baby that we can't wait to add another to the pack. But anyway, I would love to hear other peoples experiences or informed opinions on this? Are we in for double trouble (as our vet warned us) or can a second dog really solve the seperation anxiety dilema?

I was also wondering whether people think males pair better with a female or another male? I don't mind either way but I've read one of each sex is best. However, I've noticed that Aero prefers playing with male dogs at the park and I know quite a few people with two males. :confusion-shrug: If you have (or have had) two, what combo do you have?
Aerosmum
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Seperation Anxiety and a Second Whippet: male or female?

Postby Stivers » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:08 pm

I have no first-hand experience with separation anxiety, but I feel like this should work. If Aero bonds with the second dog, he won't feel the separation anxiety nearly as much as he does now. I hope it works.
Stivers
WW Member

Postby MarciaInNM » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:28 am

I think he could get along great right now with a spayed adult female whippet that has no signs of separation anxiety.
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby sue_rescue » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:57 am

I would get a female puppy now and let them grow up together, providing you current pup is already housebroken! It's very difficult to find a young adult but if you find one that would be even better!
sue_rescue
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board