Big whippet

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Big whippet

Postby Caesaros » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:17 pm

Hey,
George is my 5 month old buddy!
I have a question about his height and weight.
Yesterday he was exactly 5 months and already is 13 kg’s and his height is 53 cm.
Pretty big for his age and in general. Do u have experience with large whippets?
Or maybe it is a mixed breed? How big do you estimate him to be when he is fully grown?

Thankyou
Attachments
6B7094A4-503B-4061-9664-5F57C1805B7F.jpeg
Caesaros
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Big whippet

Postby PAWhippets » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:08 pm

Hello. George is a very handsome pup! What country are you in? Height standards are different in different countries (with the largest being here in the US). And genes can be unpredictable - sometimes even when normal-sized parents are bred, very large offspring can result. Have you spoken with George's breeder, since the breeder is the one most familiar with how his or her lines develop, and would know how large the parents are? Did you receive registration papers when you purchased George?

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby Caesaros » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:39 am

Thanks for your reply!
I live in Holland and we adopter George at the age of 13 weeks i think.
We dont know what George has been trough before we adopted him. Unfotunately we dont know George’s parents and breeder because we adopted him from a man who’s wife is “allergic”. We love George very much and it doesnt matter what size he is. George is part of our family. Maybe someone had a puppy with the same height and weight wt 5 months so i can compare it! But I understand that it is hard to say with the information I have.

( sorry if my English is bad)
Caesaros
WW Member

Postby Aerosmum » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:09 am

George is absolutely stunning. My five month old whippet weighs 10kg and is almost 18". His mum is 18" and dad is 21", so I think he's definitely going to take after his dad. George will probably be a big boy. But different blood lines do grow at different rates. He might have just had lots of early growth spurts. Is it also possible that the people you adopted him from told you an incorrect birth date? Anyway, he will be a stunner at whatever size.
Aerosmum
WW Member

Postby Greybeard » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:51 am

A handsome fellow, isn't he?

My girl, Sadie, is big for a Whippet on this side of the pond. I didn't buy her as a pedigree - her mother was half Greyhound I believe.
Greybeard
WW Member

Postby PAWhippets » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:03 pm

Ah, George was lucky to find you then! And Aerosmum has a very good point that he may possibly be a different age than what you were told. Everyone certainly agrees that he is gorgeous :romance-inlove: I tried to find a record for our youngest two boys, now 3 1/2, for around that age - they were 26.5 and 28.5 lbs. at almost 6 months, but I didn't have heights noted on them at that time (they matured to 20" and 31 lbs., and 22" and 35 lbs.). And your English is excellent!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby Caesaros » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:40 am

Thankyou for all the answers!
I think it is possible that George his mum was half a greyhound or that George is a bit older than what i have been told.
The time will tell how big he is going to be:)
I will try to add another picture of George but most files are too big
Caesaros
WW Member

Postby Caesaros » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:03 am

:banana-dance:
Attachments
0FA2EADB-A2E4-4899-93E2-1D3B08C396BB.jpeg
Caesaros
WW Member

Postby WhippyChick » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:00 am

Wow is he gorgeous! Mine filled out around 1.5 years old. He fluctuated between 34-39 lbs over the years (15-17 kg based on google calculations!) but was never overweight. I know quite a few who are 40 - 45 lbs who are all whippet. He does look older than 5 months, or maybe you just have a big guy. That's just more to love! :romance-inlove:
Michelle
Zorro's Mom
WRAP Atlanta
WhippyChick
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board