Diet advice needed

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Diet advice needed

Postby Jules75 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:36 pm

Hi,
We have recently become new owners to a gorgeous whippet called Jess. She is almost 6 months old.
She settled in really well but I’m struggling with her diet.
When I first bought her home she had really bad diarrhoea, which I put done to nerves. I took her the vet who prescribed an probiotic and wormer and I fed her chicken rice and sweet potato. Her stomach quickly settled an I slowly introduced her to burns puppy original...which she coped with fine.
She weighs 10kg and so I fed her 70g, three times a day....then she started eating her poo and seeming to be constantly hungry. Then the diarrhoea came back and she lost so much weight in just a few days so we are back on the chicken, rice and sweet potato.
I’m feeding her approx 600g three times a day. In the last 2days poos have returned to normal and she’s putting on weight and has stopped eating her poo.
Do you think she was eating her poo because she was hungry and it was causing the diarrhoea?
Should I start introducing the burns food again but feed her more than the recommended amount?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Jules75
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Diet advice needed

Postby Stickdogs » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:50 pm

Welcome puppy Jess!

At 6 months old, Whippet puppies do not need to be on a puppy food. Adult food is better for them as puppy food can be too rich for their bellies.
IMO, never feed the 'recommended amount' listed on backs of dog food bags or cans. It's usually too much.

It would probably be a good idea to have a more in depth fecal done. While wormers can get rid of worms, they won't touch protozoan parasites like Giardia and Coccidida. Coccidida is very common, especially in puppies and young animals, but can be hard to detect in a simple fecal. Treated with a sulfa type antibiotic for 5 days and sometimes for as long as a month and in some cases, may need to be repeated. Whipworms can cause bad problems, too. They can be hard to kill and sometimes the dog has to be treated for with a wormer, such as Panacur, for several rounds over several months.

Tummy issues can be common with Whippets so hopefully you can find a simple fix for Jess. Keep us posted.

Kristal
Stickdogs
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 33688

Postby PAWhippets » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:08 pm

Hello and welcome! Agree with what Kristal said. These things can be tough to diagnose, and clear - one of ours needed a couple of rounds of treatment to get rid of giardia.

Also agree that puppy food is not necessary or recommended, for several reasons. A good all-life-stages food will be fine.

Unfortunately, coprophagia (nicer way of saying eating poop) is not uncommon, and can just be a disgusting thing they do for no particular reason. Hopefully they outgrow it, but the best cure is to keep it picked up as much as possible, so they can't get it.

Good luck getting Jess settled, and let us know how it's going.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby Blanco Suzy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:26 am

I have a 14 week old that has had horrible diarrhea almost since I got her at 8 weeks. Done chicken and rice, pumpkin, she has been on medication first for coccidia then for Giardia....it has been awful. Now at 14 weeks her shots are all done, she eats well and has gained weight (15 pounds now at 14 weeks) but still the issue. I have starting working on changing her food little by little....in desperation I have given her 1/3 tsp of pepto bismol once yesterday and once today to see if that might help. I know she will settle down eventially, but the poor thing....I am anxious to hear if anything works for you.

As far as poop eating, my 12 year old did that for YEARS and occassionally I will catch her at it. I tried everything, the pills, the pineapple (which she just would not eat) and the only thing is to pick up (it is a full time job with three in the household). She only goes for "fresh" droppings to I am on constant poop patrol.
Blanco Suzy
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Return to Whippet World Message Board