Shampoo and Conditioner?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Shampoo and Conditioner?

Postby Woan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:10 am

Please recommend a shampoo and conditioner. Our climate is very dry, semi-desert, and our winters are cold. If the dog doesn't appear to be dirty, how often should a house pet be bathed? Bushed? Professionally groomed?
Woan
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Shampoo and Conditioner?

Postby PAWhippets » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:49 am

Welcome! Our Whippets are bathed very rarely, usually only if they've rolled in something nasty or gotten very muddy running (we have used the Earthbath brand and liked it); brushed very rarely, usually just petting is adequate, and with a hound glove if at all; and professionally groomed, never - no need. Teeth brushed daily or as close as possible, nails done (highly recommend Dremel tool over clippers) weekly or as close as possible. Some of this might be different for a dog with a lot of white that is being shown :)

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Re: Shampoo and Conditioner?

Postby Blisstw » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:15 pm

We usually only bathe for shows or if they get very dirty while playing, otherwise I just rub them down occasionally with a damp cloth. We do use Isle of Dog Oil of Primrose Shampoo when we bathe them, it has a nice fragrance that dissipates fairly quickly then I use jojoba oil on the coat (I emulsify a small amount it in my hands and start by running my hands down each side then down the back, maybe a few more drops for the chest, neck and rear legs) and brush it in with a soft bristle brush (I think ours is boar bristle).
Blisstw
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 45

Return to Whippet World Message Board