any advice on my whippets weight

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

any advice on my whippets weight

Postby robotivy » Sun May 05, 2019 6:34 pm

hi,

i have a 6 year old whippet who my vet has said has gone from apparently being overweight (16kg or so) to the perfect weight (14kg), but i have been being stopped in the street because he looks very thin, and looks thinner than other whippets i have seen.

he is rather large for a whippet, bred from working hunting dogs in australia but now living in the UK. he eats a good daily meal that is weighed out, as well as treats, fresh veg and fish/meat and some fruit etc. he is energetic and doesn’t seem lethargic or anything, and as i stated previously i took him to the vets about his weight and they assured me it was the ‘perfect’ weight, but i’m hoping someone who is a whippet expert can give me a second opinion, purely because i personally think he looks quite thin! any help is much appreciated. thank you!

here are some pics: https://imgur.com/a/fTBLEtb
robotivy
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: any advice on my whippets weight

Postby MarciaInNM » Tue May 07, 2019 12:14 am

Hi, and welcome to the board!

There is a range of weight where each dog can be healthy. He may be healthy, but If your whippet was my boy, I'd want a few more pounds on him. Do you have a pic of him taken from the top, directly above him looking down at his back?

My boy Sonny had a recurrence of Valley Fever (a fungal disease) this spring, and lost about 6 lbs. He was still looking ok when he was down 2 lbs. although he could use some muscle.
SmartSelect_20190506-174606_Gallery.jpg
Down 2

Although it's not so easy to tell from this pic, by the time he was down 6 lbs, he'd lost too much and was too thin and bony and not as comfortable.
SmartSelect_20190506-174136_Gallery.jpg
Down 6

I'm happy with my girl Rainy's weight.
SmartSelect_20190506-173909_Gallery.jpg
Rainy

Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby DextyMorgan » Wed May 08, 2019 3:51 pm

I would say your dog can put on a couple pounds. He is very cute!
People often make rude comments about my whippet (as well as my mastiff), it just comes with the territory of having a different dog.

I would say that it's okay to see a couple ribs, but if you see all of them, he should gain some weight.
DextyMorgan
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby PAWhippets » Wed May 08, 2019 4:30 pm

Hello and welcome! Your dog is very cute! I agree that he could probably use another couple of pounds, but not too much. Most people are not used to sighthounds (or, sadly, dogs in general at a healthy and not obese weight) and don't realize what a healthy Whippet looks like, so you can't go by that. Your vet is a much better source of information.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Return to Whippet World Message Board