Experience with freeze dried Pancreas?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Experience with freeze dried Pancreas?

Postby DextyMorgan » Mon May 06, 2019 7:56 pm

Does anyone feed their dog pancreas to help their pancreatitis?
I ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734 ... UTF8&psc=1
Natural Grass Fed Freeze Dried Bovine Pancreas to help with my dog's stomach problems.
I also ordered these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1 ... UTF8&psc=1
Pumpkin Papaya Probiotics

Is giving both to him over kill?
I've read so many varying opinions, what is a good dose of Pancreas? He is 20 pounds. Does it need to "incubate"? Best way of feeding?

My dog's appetite and stomach issues have been all over the place in the last 5 months (fine 1 week, diarrhea for a day, fine 2 weeks, sick for 5 days and no appetite, fine for 3 weeks, etc.)
Sometimes he throws up yellow bile if we don't feed him every 10 hours or so. He never used to do this.
The vet said he's healthy except needed liver pills.
He stopped eating his old food (Salmon Canidae) 5 months ago and we are now feeding him Primal Raw Venison, which he USUALLY loves.

Any help is appreciated!!
DextyMorgan
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Experience with freeze dried Pancreas?

Postby PAWhippets » Wed May 08, 2019 4:39 pm

Sorry, I've never heard of feeding a dog with pancreatitis pancreas to help. I know feeding dogs with that condition can be pretty tricky and would follow the vet's advice on that. Probiotics are generally helpful, I give them to ours, but have never had one with pancreatitis.

As far as vomiting bile if the stomach gets too empty, that seems a fairly common problem, and we have found it pretty easy to manage by timing feedings to avoid that. We feed around 7 AM and 7 PM (if we have to change times because we aren't going to be home, we try to feed a smaller meal before we leave and after we get home), give a couple of biscuits mid-day and also before bedtime, and rarely have problems. Our vets have advised if there is occasionally a problem we can give famotidine (Pepcid); maybe ask your vet.

Hope this helps.

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby MarciaInNM » Wed May 08, 2019 7:09 pm

Has your dog been diagnosed with pancreatitis?

What condition are the liver pills for?
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby PAWhippets » Wed May 08, 2019 8:05 pm

Those are very good questions Marcia asks!

Lois
PAWhippets
WW Supporter

Whippet Archives Link: 5649

Postby DextyMorgan » Thu May 09, 2019 4:10 pm

MarciaInNM wrote:Has your dog been diagnosed with pancreatitis?

What condition are the liver pills for?

Thanks for your response! Dexter has a lot of symptoms of pancreatitis/over-worked pancreas, and after extensive testing at the vet, they said he's just aging and he has low liver levels, so he needs to take liver pills:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y ... UTF8&psc=1
So, he's not diagnosed with anything.

I am very much into natural remedies and I've done SO much reading and I found that the only proven way to help pancreas function in human and dogs is to eat beef/pork pancreas. I found this all natural, single-ingredient pancreas that I wanted to give a try. It's organ meat, which is food, very similar to his raw diet, so there's really nothing to lose, only hope that he can gain weight back. He eats the freeze dried pancreas powder in a pill pocket like a treat.
I've been giving him a little before meals for 3 days now, so I don't know if it's "working" but he hasn't refused food yet or had stomach problems. (but sometimes he is fine for weeks, so I don't know)

An interesting and unfortunate thing I learned is that for your dog to have pancreatitis/pancreas failure, at least 90% of the pancreas has already been destroyed. So my intention is to prevent this from happening.
DextyMorgan
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Postby MarciaInNM » Thu May 09, 2019 6:21 pm

My dog, Sonny, had an acute attack of pancreatitis at 9 months old, and another at 1 months old. He is 5 years old now, and has never had another attack. He was on pancrezyme powder for about a year after his attacks, and has been kept on moderate to low fat, low fiber food since then. The vet could not determine the cause, but there are many potential causes of pancreatitis. I wouldn't treat a dog for it without a firm diagnosis that it is present.
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Return to Whippet World Message Board