Cooking raw food?

All whippet fanciers welcome here! Join us and meet whippet lovers from around the world.

Cooking raw food?

Postby DextyMorgan » Wed May 08, 2019 3:28 pm

OHBT5927.jpg
Dexty
Is it okay to cook my dog's raw food?
I've been feeding him Primal's venison nuggets and I read that picky dogs with sensitive stomachs can benefit from their raw food being slightly cooked.
I heat it in a pan for a few minutes and it's kind of medium rare. I'm not sure if he likes it because it's seared and that brings out the fat flavor? Or if he thinks it's human food because I'm cooking it and that makes him want it?

My little guy needs all the advice you can give! He's 12 and very underweight.

I've asked for advice on here several times and I haven't gotten any help yet. Any input is appreciated!
DextyMorgan
WW Member

Whippet Archives Link: 0

Re: Cooking raw food?

Postby MarciaInNM » Wed May 08, 2019 6:28 pm

Anything that encourages him to eat would be great! He's an old guy and probably doesn't have as good of a sence of smell any more. Lightly cooked food would have some warmth and more smell to it, which could make him more interested.

At this point, I might be trying some other kinds of food, too, just to get him to eat. Scrambled eggs can be light and ok on the stomach. Boiled or baked plain chicken, with or without white rice is also tasty and easy. I was told to overboil the white rice, adding additional water and cooking it long enough that it becomes kind of sticky and very soft. My dog who was sick really enjoyed the shredded chicken with overboiled white rice.
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby DextyMorgan » Thu May 09, 2019 3:49 pm

Cool, thank you for the advice! I've tried to give him white and brown rice before with fish and he didn't want it, but maybe I need to cook it more.
DextyMorgan
WW Member

Postby MarciaInNM » Thu May 09, 2019 6:24 pm

The brown rice has too much fiber. White rice works better. Just keep adding a little more water and cook it longer until it looks like you want it to. I cook the rice in the broth left over from boiling the chicken, which definitely makes my dog more interested in it.
Marcia
Breezy, Captain, Sonny & Rainy
MarciaInNM
WW Manager

Whippet Archives Link: 5448

Postby OregonLuca » Fri May 10, 2019 2:51 am

Does he like hamburger? Mixing hamburger with uncooked oats has been helpful in the past for helping my dogs gain weight. I've used a recipe for "satin balls" (you can search it on this site), but it might be too much fat for your elderly boy. Nowdays I just mix good hamburger with oats and my dogs eat it up. Just a thought!
Heather & Luca & Juno
OregonLuca
WW Member

Return to Whippet World Message Board